Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are not forced to use the Adobe cloud. I use the Adobe Photographers plan which includes Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. Both must be installed on your computer. Registering for cloud service is not required.

I think for £10 per month it is terrific value.
Besides having the Adobe software installed on my desktop, the plan also gives me 20GB of cloud storage at no extra cost. Although all my photographs are stored on my hard drive, this amount of cloud storage enables me to mark in Lightroom what collections I want copied over to the cloud. I can then go to a coffee shop, or anywhere else, and work on these photographs on my Android phone or tablet and have all the changes I make in this way copied back to my desktop. This also applies to Apple devices. It gives me a mobility I can't get with other software.

06-15-2019, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have to 2nd macman's ON1 suggestion. While I don't think that it is a Photoshop specific replacement... there are a lot of features that it allows that you would use Photoshop for. I would guess it probably allows 75% or so of what most people need in terms of editing. What I can say, is that it a pretty complete replacement for Lightroom though. The only downside to it over Lightroom, is its inability to import presets from Lightroom into ON1. It does have some pretty good presets itself, and each month they come out with tons of new ones, from photographer catalogues too (all completely free!). There are also tons of youtube tutorials too. There is only a one-time fee (I think that the 2018 version was $40, with every single add-on). It's a great value and made me leave Lightroom/Ps behind (still use Adobe Elements/Premiere for video especially, but their photo-editor is pretty good... Elements + ON1 is a pretty powerful combo).

I would direct you to FirstMan's video comparing a lot of them:
06-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #18

I went with Luminar 3 as I wasn't prepared to pay the Adobe prices. Great idea but full of glitches - currently being told I need more RAM to get it to start (got 4gB). Annoyingly there are a lot of pictures stored in a file I cannot access. My mistake not backing it up.
07-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

At the moment I'm switching between Darktable (which I'm more familiar with) and a trial of Luminar 3 on the advice of another member to try Luminar (though I believe they may use Flex).
I need to spend more time with the latter as I've absolutely not got to grips with it, but the processing of images is, at a glance, considerably quicker with Darktable. Despite my computer housing a water-cooled 4.6GhZ i7 processor, 16Gb RAM, NVidia 980ti GPU, and 500Gb Samsung Evo SSD images still (appear to) take a short while to process/update*.

*to reiterate, I've admittedly not spent enough time with Luminar 3.

07-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldseabee Quote
Photo Editing Software
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The Lightroom and Photoshop combo is really hard to beat.
+1 this combo certainly works for me and is also pretty much the industry standard (no rights or wrong implied or given), so no compatibility issues with clients or working colleagues.
08-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I am adding my frustrations here so not to start a new repetitive thread.

I have to move on from LR... Reading these posts apparently there is good acceptance for luminar and affinity.

Luminar flex ppl - from which stand alone do you run theplugin (my understandings is that flex needs a"host", wrong?)

Why no love for CaptureOne - this one is grasping my attention, even before posting here and learning of luminar and affinity... Anyone has gone from LR to CapOne?
08-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote

I have to move on from LR... Reading these posts apparently there is good acceptance for luminar and affinity.

Luminar flex ppl - from which stand alone do you run theplugin (my understandings is that flex needs a"host", wrong?)

Why no love for CaptureOne - this one is grasping my attention, even before posting here and learning of luminar and affinity... Anyone has gone from LR to CapOne?
Luminar flex works as a stand alone or as plug-in

08-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks for the info... Looking to see if any of these offer free trial.
08-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Look ACDSEE 2019 photo studio ultimate 2019
months free trail I find out work very well in my desktop ,i remove Corel crush very frequently
08-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #25
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I do not use Luminar Flex as a plug-in; I use it as a standalone app....
08-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I do not use Luminar Flex as a plug-in; I use it as a standalone app....
I hope it works on a mid-2000's MacBookPro - I believe to have found a trial version for the 3.1 Luminar (any diffenreces from the flex?)

I am honestly not happy to have to change my platform... but...
08-18-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope it works on a mid-2000's MacBookPro - I believe to have found a trial version for the 3.1 Luminar (any diffenreces from the flex?)

I am honestly not happy to have to change my platform... but...
Luminar 3 is the full app with DAM. Luminar Flex drops the DAM. Luminar 3 is very slow on my early-2009 Mac Mini running a patched version of High Sierra but Luminar Flex seems to work well. If your MacBookPro is early-2008 or later you can run High Sierra too...If it's 2006 or 2007 you're out of luck...

macOS High Sierra Patcher
08-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #28
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using CaptureOne. I switched from Aperture quite a while ago. Afaik it's the industry standard for professionals aside of LR.
08-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
DxO Photolab is excellent if your camera is supported.
I really like it too. Simple for quick edits but very capable for more complex ones, especially with the addition of local adjustments. It does a good job of increasing clarity and microcontrast without creating artifacts. The simulations of various camera or film looks is a nice feature too. If you go for it, get the Elite version, not Essentials, which misses out on some key features. Free 30 day trial.
10-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #30

I have been looking for a good program besides PS/LR. Thanks for the info.