Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #61
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This discussion is not constructive. You are talking at cross purposes to the points I'm making.
I don't see a point in continuing this.
Too bad.

Just to make a couple of clarification for the benefit of others:

The fact that you can create a variant in two different ways, does not constitute two types of variants.

There is only one kind of "variant". You can create a variant by either starting from scratch using the raw data from the donor image, or by transferring all the adjustments of the donor image as well.
That is what clone variant means - not a hard concept. Clone "Variant" is a clone of the original with adjustments. Clone original (I am not on my machine with CO so I am not, obviously, using the CO term) is a different type of variant where you have the original image information without all of your adjustments. And yes, if you create a variant and change the brightness - that is a different variant than either the original image or a "variant" with a set of adjustments. Variants are numbered and I do not believe there is a limit on the number of individual variants you can have. I have created up to five variants of a single image - each with wildly different adjustments and "looks".

According to your logic -- that takes history into account -- a change to any of those variants, e.g., increasing the brightness, would create yet another kind of variant.
No, not exactly. Capture One does not care about history, it tracks adjustments. This is not another "type" of variant - it is just another variant of the image and a set of adjustments. All variants are virtual - you do not "copy" the original RAW data Capture One just keeps track of the adjustments made per variant.

No, not in the sense of the technical term "variant" as used in C1.
I disagree. A variant is a copy of the adjustments made, no physical copy of RAW data are made.

All of it was accurate and true. You are, again, talking about different things. I'm not confused about camera profiles.

It's OK if you don't understand the problem I described -- which Phase One admitted to and which has been a discussion point in several C1 forums -- but please don't lecture me about basics, claiming that what I wrote is "pretty much untrue".
When Capture One imports a file - it applies a profile for that camera as determined by Capture One. This default includes default sharpness, noise reduction, levels and tone curves. Adobe does the same thing with ACR. I maintain that if you do not like how the images look using the default profile, then build one yourself and have that profile assigned on import for your equipment and expectations. It is not all that difficult but it is up to you to create and implement.

I am sorry if you think I am "lecturing" you or that this discussion is not going anywhere. As it is, we both like Capture One and hope to see it improve, especially for Pentax users.

10-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
i remove Corel crush very frequently
It has been a long time my PaintShop Pro 2019 has "crashed"...
10-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #63

I use Zoner Photo Studio to do all the quick edits. Topaz for the sharpening, creative presets and denoise. I have the original Nik collection for better film simulations from the first two. And I use Dark Table in Linux Mint to select photos from clients before processing them in my Windows apps just to make sure no viruses or Trojans pass through.
10-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear that someone is using Zoner. If you find time please give us your thoughts on the software. I have it but have not used it much.

10-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an old version of Photoshop CS4 which runs fine on a Windows rig. The camera is set to save as DNG so CameraRaw just does its job. I sometimes hanker after the new fearures available on the Adobe CC subscription, but they won't make me any better at post-processing, whereas practising with what I've got will!
10-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I have an old version of Photoshop CS4 which runs fine on a Windows rig. The camera is set to save as DNG so CameraRaw just does its job. I sometimes hanker after the new fearures available on the Adobe CC subscription, but they won't make me any better at post-processing, whereas practising with what I've got will!
Same here, except CS6. Just can't bring myself to pay by the month.

---------- Post added 10-20-19 at 12:15 AM ----------

So I just updated On1 to the 2020 version. First thing I've noticed is it is noticeably faster to open catalogs/images and apply changes. Second thing? I really like the focus masking in photo previews. SOOO much faster to work thru a series of photos with similar look but varying in focus

I'm hopeful...

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-19-2019 at 09:16 PM.
10-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Same here, except CS6. Just can't bring myself to pay by the month.
I'd like to know how many people are like me, and when Adobe went to the subscription model I went straight to FOSS. First tried Darktable, then ended up with RawTherapee. Took a while to get used to, but a full-featured package for $0 is a bit better than $120+ a year, with increases whenever Adobe feels like it.

10-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Glad to hear that someone is using Zoner. If you find time please give us your thoughts on the software. I have it but have not used it much.
It is my primary editing software now where I adjust exposure, contrast and clarity as well as for horizon correction, crop and resizing. When I need to sharpen and do more creative stuff I use Topaz with Irfanview. If I need to do more film simulation I open up Nik. I edit faster in Zoner compared to all my editing software. I just wish I could apply my previous edit settings easily via keyboard shortcuts so I can be faster.
10-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Who is using Affinity Photo?

I am about to bail form the Adobe mafia, and wondering about this program. It seems too good to be true...is it?

Thanks,
Cameron
10-23-2019, 04:14 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I am about to bail form the Adobe mafia, and wondering about this program. It seems too good to be true...is it?

Thanks,
Cameron
I've tried at least 6 different editing programs, including LR and PSE, and Affinity Photo is my favorite and the one I use on a daily basis. One of the major reasons is that I have found the learning curve to be gentle. It's also a highly capable program with many advanced features. It's been criticized by some who have the idea that it's not a good Raw file developer (the Develop Persona) but I use it only for Raw files and haven't found it deficient in this regard.

There is a free trial available. Nothing to lose by trying it and forming your own opinion.
10-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #71

Zoner is also on subscription basis albeit a cheaper option than Adobe products. Topaz are lifetime while Irfanview is free. I got Nik when it was being given away for free
10-23-2019, 05:19 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

Thanks,
Cameron
I'm using Affinity now (have about 2 months of experience with it) but I came from Gimp, not photoshop (never used Adobe stuff). As a raw developer, I think it's OK for low ISO images. I'm still working on figuring out my workflow--what I should do in RawTherapee, and what I should do in Affinity. I generally start in RawTherapee and get development to a certain point, then it's a one-button push to open the developed image in Affinity for further work.

I haven't really scratched the surface yet, and I'm comparing it more to Gimp than PS, but here are somethings I like about it:
- The inpainting brush is sooo much easier than the clone tool (as found in Gimp) for spot removal. Just paint over it and usually it does the right thing. No need to select a sample area first.
- It has a refine selection mode that is really good; makes it much easier to select fine structures like tree branches
- Live filters and live effects (non-destructive)
- The ability to apply any (most?) filters to only a desired tonal range without selecting or masking (similar to the parametric masking in darktable)
- Tone mapping function can be done with single or bracketed exposures, and the natural preset actually looks natural
- Has focus stacking (but it's not as good as a dedicated tool) and photo stitching (which works way better than hugin).
- Sharpening brush!
- It was $40 (sale price)

Annoyances so far (hopefully will be fixed some day):
- Raw development, tone mapping, stitching, and stacking are destructive operations (you can't go back and tweak). You can re-develop from scratch, or re-enter the development module (persona) but you're starting over either from the raw in the first case or the current layer in the second case.
- Only the develop persona has over/under exposure warnings; the photo persona doesn't yet. You can easily blow out one or more channels and not realize it. Keep an eye on the histogram.
- No control over demosaic process and little control over denoising (at least, compared to what I'm used to in RawTherapee). Some might see that as an advantage.
- Some of the NIK plugins don't work (or don't work well). Fortunately, dfine, SilverFX, and ColorFX are OK. I'm disappointed that Viveza has bugs.

You tube has official and non-official tutorials that, so far, I've found very helpful. Good luck.

Last edited by Sir Nameless; 10-23-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: clarification
10-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

With the attention apparently paid to speeding up operations (finally, and how many versions so far??), better cataloging and preview, and some very good new features, On1 2020 now looks like a far more viable option for those wanting a single program to replace LR that doesn't need a subscription.
10-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have dabbled with Affinity but hasn't felt right yet. Maybe with more practice.
11-29-2019, 03:24 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

Silkypix 9 has a 30 day trial. It is very versatile. Main problem is learning curve and Japanglish manual. They work directly with Pentax to produce the more primitive DCU software that comes with Pentax cameras so there is never a problem with pixel shift should you be using that capability with your setup.