Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

moving to a new laptop

Have any members had any experience migrating or moving Apps, Files and Folders intact to a new computer that has the same operating system already installed? My aging laptop new in 2012 is getting ready to expire, its taking way too much time to get past the bios splash screen and frequently goes through multiple restarts trying to load Win10 pro before it finally loads Win10 pro. Once Win10 pro loads its very fast for its age. I've decided to not shut down because of the boot problem and have ordered a new laptop with much better specs and it has Win10 pro pre-installed. What I want to do, if possible, with minimal problems is move Apps, Files and Folders to the new laptop after I remove unwanted software from my old laptop.

I did this back in the days of XP with Laplink PC Mover and had to reload several programs which was a real hassle. I don't want to clone my old drive and install it on the new laptop because my old machine was originally a Win 7 pro machine that was free upgraded to Win10 pro with the attendant upgrade problems of switching to a new machine which possibly can't be done because of the Win7 to Win10 free upgrade.

So my question is has anyone done this with minimal problems and what were those problems?

06-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Programs are going to have to be reinstalled. No getting around that. Regarding the data restoring or exporting / importing will depend on the programs involved. Sorry but there is no painless method unless you just start over getting rid of all the old programs and data. And in my opinion that option is as painful as it gets.
06-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Have any members had any experience migrating or moving Apps, Files and Folders intact to a new computer that has the same operating system already installed?
Move to a new notebook last year. I already had a data storage approach, separating data and software sources and stored externally, so it was easy I just installed new apps on the new notebook and made the old laptop get its well deserved retirement. Using Win10 now.
06-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Move to a new notebook last year. I already had a data storage approach, separating data and software sources and stored externally, so it was easy I just installed new apps on the new notebook and made the old laptop get its well deserved retirement. Using Win10 now.
This approach worked well for me too, I was also on a network and moved from Windows 10 to a Mac OS. Reinstalling applications, some of the LR presets didn't convert but I didn't use most of them anyway. A big thing is to remember all of the apps and programs that you don't use much.

06-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Macrium, and its amazing at cloning or moving your stuff over to a new machine without re-installing anything. I use this software when I get larger hard drives or need to change partitions, etc.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
06-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Programs are going to have to be reinstalled. No getting around that. Regarding the data restoring or exporting / importing will depend on the programs involved. Sorry but there is no painless method unless you just start over getting rid of all the old programs and data. And in my opinion that option is as painful as it gets.
Just a question, Steve. Have you personally used Laplink PC Mover or any product like it
06-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I use Macrium, and its amazing at cloning or moving your stuff over to a new machine without re-installing anything. I use this software when I get larger hard drives or need to change partitions, etc.

I use Macrium also but my problem is an 'upgrade copy of Win10 Pro that can't be moved to another machine. Plus Win10 Pro upgrade from Win7 Pro leaves a lot of unwanted Win7 files in place and is a slow booting machine. I'd rather use the clean install that is on the new machine and move what I need with PC Mover. its a crap shoot using it but for $35 I'll give it a shot.

06-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might try (something like) this: Free PC transfer/migration software - EaseUSŪ Todo PCTrans Free

I used it when I moved from a Win 7 to a Win 10 PC. Some applications moved OK, but not all. Still, it saved a LOT of reinstalling.
06-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
You might try (something like) this: Free PC transfer/migration software - EaseUSŪ Todo PCTrans Free

I used it when I moved from a Win 7 to a Win 10 PC. Some applications moved OK, but not all. Still, it saved a LOT of reinstalling.
Thanks, Dave, I've bought Laplink PCMover Ultimate and plan to use the supplied Ethernet cable to do the transfer. From the reviews I've read the problems people have with PCMover is they fail to follow the proceedure properly. I plan to be well prepared when I do the transfer. One of the keys to being successful is to have both systems set up with the same version and build and to shut down apps like AV and make sure there is nothing set up to auto-start during the transfer.
06-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

I can second this. I use Macrium Reflect all the time. Brilliant software.
06-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just a question, Steve. Have you personally used Laplink PC Mover or any product like it
Not in years. I prefer the hassle of reinstalling. It’s cleaner and I don’t want to bring any of my old problems over to the new system. Also it is a good time to evaluate what I am using and get rid of what I don’t need or want any more. I also use external drives for my data.
06-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

LapLink has been around for many years. We used to use it when I was working in the computer and office equipment industry. I'm sure the software has improved greatly since then. However I still find it better off going through the hassle of reinstalling your software on the new machine, then copy over your documents photos etc. To me there's nothing like a fresh install. Computers are like kids with messy rooms stuff is scattered all over so when trying to copy programs sometimes the new machine can't locate files needed for it to run the software correctly or even at all. Then that is not withstanding copied registry issues that can arise and be difficult to fix.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-16-2019 at 05:39 AM.
06-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My Experience with PCMover Ultimate

I just want to post my experience with PCMover, it was very positive and moved all of my files, Apps and data to my new laptop it took about 5 hours to move about 275Gb and all my complicated Icon clickable folders work without problems. I've had to reactivate several pieces of software which I expected to happen but everything works as far as I can tell. I have had to deal with Cortana since the new system was a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro ver 1809 and I've gone ahead and updated to ver 1903. Since I really dislike the new Windows start menu I downloaded the newest version of Classic shell because it needed to be updated to work properly. So there you go, not a big deal at all and I saved days of fumbling and grumbling and it only cost me 34.95 USD.

Larry