Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In camera RAW processing.and profiles

First I'll get this off my chest. i m essentially lazy.I do not want to spend ages processing images on a computer. If I could get perfect JPEGs I would not shoot RAW. Second I really dislike Windows and can't afford Apple to make a judgement, so I use a chromebook for my computer needs. This leads me to using Pentax in camera RAW processing, which I must say is the best I have used out of my other digital cameras, Nikon and Fuji.
So to get to the point of this thread, I have been taking RAW pictures and processing in camera for a few years now. I have almost exclusively used the natural profile, but the other day I could not get the look I wanted for some shots of roses, so I tried the slide profile.Job done! This got me thinking. If anyone out there does the same as me it would be nice to see what can be achieved and to discover how to do so, using just Pentax in camera processing.

Last edited by richard0170; 06-24-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling correction and ommission
06-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For things like family snaps, when all I want is quick jpegs to put straight on Facebook, I always shoot raw and process to jpeg in-camera. It's great to have that extra flexibility to adjust each photo as needed, rather than just shooting straight to jpeg.

What I'd really like is to be able to upload custom .dcp profiles to the camera so that it could do jpeg conversions based on that. Custom .dcp profiles are fundamental to the way I process raw files on the computer, and I'd do my processing in-camera a lot more often if I had that option.
06-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
If anyone out there does the same as me it would be nice to see what can be achieved and to discover how to do so, using just Pentax in camera processing.
There are quite a few JPEG-only shooters on this site and since the in-camera "profiles" are quite customizable, this may very well develop into an interesting thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
What I'd really like is to be able to upload custom .dcp profiles to the camera so that it could do jpeg conversions based on that.
Perhaps when Ricoh sells Pentax to Adobe.

Steve
06-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i m essentially lazy.I do not want to spend ages processing images on a computer. If I could get perfect JPEGs I would not shoot RAW. Second I really dislike Windows and can't afford Apple to make a judgement,
I do not know what you are expecting ?

You don't want to do any work to get yourself a good picture and have posted an image that I would consign to the bin straight away.

There is no problem in using jpegs sooc but just remember that when compared to ones that have had work done on them in pp they will show all defects. Your posted picture needs exposure correction and cleaning up with a clone or spotting tool.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.

06-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I do not know what you are expecting ?

You don't want to do any work to get yourself a good picture and have posted an image that I would consign to the bin straight away.

There is no problem in using jpegs sooc but just remember that when compared to ones that have had work done on them in pp they will show all defects. Your posted picture needs exposure correction and cleaning up with a clone or spotting tool.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.
I think you are missing the point. I would be happy to do post processing work but will not use Windows and can't afford Apple. Chomebook offers limited opportunities. If cameras could produce perfect image SOOC I would be happy, They can't. Therefore I am exploring what can be done by processing in camera RAW. I was hoping for some feedback from others who have explored Pentax's in camera processing capabilities.
06-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you are missing the point. I would be happy to do post processing work but will not use Windows and can't afford Apple.
You can install Linux on a Chromebook and then use darktable or Rawtherapee for your pp...both provide an excellent set of tools, as good as the commercial tools.

Cheers,
Terry
06-25-2019, 03:44 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
You can install Linux on a Chromebook and then use darktable or Rawtherapee for your pp...both provide an excellent set of tools, as good as the commercial tools.

Cheers,
Terry
You can install Linux on just about anything - get a remanufactured computer from Microcenter and install Linux from a free distribution, total cost for that stuff under two hundred bucks. As to the Chromebook thing - seems to me all the Google stuff is running Linux already - Android is just a front-end for Linux, after all.

06-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I used the in camera RAW processing on the K5 quite a lot and it works very well. I still want to see the picture on a bigger monitor though and I find that PP on my PC is much easier and leads to less squinting than to do it on the small camera screen
06-27-2019, 02:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
You can install Linux on just about anything - get a remanufactured computer from Microcenter and install Linux from a free distribution, total cost for that stuff under two hundred bucks. As to the Chromebook thing - seems to me all the Google stuff is running Linux already - Android is just a front-end for Linux, after all.
I agree. My post was based on the fact that darktable and Rawtherapee are only being developed, as far as I know, for Linux...no mention of Android, hence to use either package without any potential problems or expenditure, best aim for Linux.

Cheers,
Terry