Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darktable integration with Gimp

It has been like this for a couple of years now but like usual I am a bit slow on the uptake.
So, with Gimp 2.10, Darktable is being treated as a plugin. (needs Darktable to be installed).
If you open a raw to Gimp it automatically opens Darktable first where you make your usual adjustments and then on closing Darktable it exports the image into Gimp.
There is one minor reference to this feature in the Darktable Coterie thread but otherwise this feature is largely unheralded.
It is going to make my workflow a lot smoother.
There is one small issue on my Linux build that took me a while to sort out though. Gimp rapidly got itself into a state that it couldn't select all / copy/ paste and the ram commited to memory grew enormous.
Solved it by closing OpenCL in Gimp preferences. Seems OpenCL wasn't playing nicely with either the type of image the raw had become in Gimp (still a raw?) or the fact OpenCL was running in Darktable.

06-27-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting...

My workflow is different. I use digiKam for my image library management. When I want to process a raw file, I "open with" Darktable from digiKam, then - when my image is ready - I export to TIFF from Darktable into dedicated export folders. Back in digiKam, I "open with" GIMP the image I want to process further, and export to JPEG when done.

It might seem a little long-winded, but it's really not. The essence of my workflow is that each stage in development is driven from, and launched from, my library management tool...
06-27-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Interesting...

My workflow is different. I use digiKam for my image library management. When I want to process a raw file, I "open with" Darktable from digiKam, then - when my image is ready - I export to TIFF from Darktable into dedicated export folders. Back in digiKam, I "open with" GIMP the image I want to process further, and export to JPEG when done.

It might seem a little long-winded, but it's really not. The essence of my workflow is that each stage in development is driven from, and launched from, my library management tool...
Yes that is exactly how I have been doing it. I have figured that the tiff from DT was a useful backup but maybe the simpler workflow from this setup is worth it. Where I think it won't work is when I want to compare say a bunch of shots that are underexposed to find the best one.

Just been tinkering with the shortcut keys. My Gimp shortcuts have been customised for my purposes long ago. Key "1" is "export as".
Now in Digikam I have made "1" as "open with default application" (which has been set to gimp) and in DT "1" is quit.
So in Gub language "1" is move to the next step.
06-27-2019, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think it is because of our workflow that we havn't bumped into this feature.

06-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Gimp 2.10->Preferences->System Resources there is a checkbox for Use OpenCL. Did you have that checked?
06-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
In Gimp 2.10->Preferences->System Resources there is a checkbox for Use OpenCL. Did you have that checked?
Yes. But never had this problem until using DT this way. Funny thing is I think Gimp is running faster without opencl.
06-27-2019, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OpenCL only works well with certain chipsets. Intel's opencl version is blacklisted by darktable so if you have an Intel CPU you are best to disable opencl in both darktable and gimp. Intel is working on a modern version so this should be rectified eventually.

06-28-2019, 02:29 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OpenCL only works well with certain chipsets. Intel's opencl version is blacklisted by darktable so if you have an Intel CPU you are best to disable opencl in both darktable and gimp. Intel is working on a modern version so this should be rectified eventually.
Thanks for that
06-28-2019, 03:22 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually I ran $ Darktable-cltest and everything seemed successful so I may leave it enabled. It would be a miracle if it was up and running correctly - it was all so over my head!
06-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then I would uncheck the "opencl enable" in the system resources in gimp. Perhaps the two implementations are fighting each other.
06-29-2019, 01:36 AM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Then I would uncheck the "opencl enable" in the system resources in gimp. Perhaps the two implementations are fighting each other.
Umm that is what I did. (Last sentence OP)