Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microsoft ICE does stitch shifted frames

A while ago I've used the composition adjust of my K1 to tried get a larger 3:2 picture out of 4 exposures or a 4:3 aspect ratio image out of two exposures.

Using Hugin for stitching required some special settings for the alignment (not a spherical pano project, but only a X,Y translation).
However, I found Microsoft ICE does the X,Y shift align automatically, which give a final nice 45Mpixels frame (if I remember correctly, it was close to 50Mp), without requiring a pano head.
Last but not least, I found intriguing that pixel shift on the K1 still works in addition to shifting the sensor in the 4 corners of the image circle using composition adjust: that means you get 4 x 4 pixels shifted frames stitched into a single high resolution frame without requiring any special pano head, a normal tripod is enough.

07-11-2019, 05:06 AM   #2

I'd have to find my notes but as I recall with Hugin you need to use "mosaic" mode and use a certain lens length setting. That way you could stitch a square piece of artwork from four photos or flatbed scanned images.

If MS ICE makes it simpler all the better. Even better is that you are able to use Pixel Shifted images.

Thanks for sharing this discovery.
07-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'd have to find my notes but as I recall with Hugin you need to use "mosaic" mode and use a certain lens length setting. That way you could stitch a square piece of artwork from four photos or flatbed scanned images.
In the tuto I found , stitching a flat moisaic with hugin was only about enabling only 2 axis in the alignment options, but it's not immediate. ICE seem to automatically detect to right parameters for stitching , it's easy.
With sensor shift, the advantage is that lens distortion and perspective distortion don't matter in the stitching process, so the result is pretty good.
07-11-2019, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the information, particularly use of composition shift! For those not in the know, Microsoft ICE is a free (as in no-cost) panorama stitching tool made available as an ongoing project from Microsoft Research. Research tools tend to have a limited life span, but ICE continues to be an active project despite a history going back over a decade. Version 2.0 may be downloaded from...

Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

While there, it may be worth one's while to look at other offerings such as Hyperlapse.

Steve

07-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the information, particularly use of composition shift! For those not in the know, Microsoft ICE is a free (as in no-cost) panorama stitching tool made available as an ongoing project from Microsoft Research. Research tools tend to have a limited life span, but ICE continues to be an active project despite a history going back over a decade. Version 2.0 may be downloaded from...

Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

While there, it may be worth one's while to look at other offerings such as Hyperlapse.

Steve
Thanks for this. I didn't know about hyperlapse. I have been using ICE often with more success than Photoshop. I wish it worked with RAW files though...
07-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I wish it worked with RAW files though...
That's a good point. Shifting frames doesn't involve much change in exposure, applying the same raw export parameters does work well enough before stitching. Photoshop isn't able to stitch multiple raw files into a single raw I suppose it just record the stitching parameters and the original raw file to produce an stitched output?.
07-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a good point. Shifting frames doesn't involve much change in exposure, applying the same raw export parameters does work well enough before stitching. Photoshop isn't able to stitch multiple raw files into a single raw I suppose it just record the stitching parameters and the original raw file to produce an stitched output?.
Photoshop can stitch raw files, just it has happened more than once that it couldn't stitch panoramas that ICE would stitch.
07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

ICE is brilliant and can indeed stitch RAW DNG files, and export as JPG, TIFF, BMP.