Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Skylum releases update to Luminar Flex

Skylum recently updated Luminar Flex with all the goodies that Luminar 3 now has, but without the 'library' function...

I don't use/need the library function and have been using Flex since its introduction; the new update brings several new features:

Skylum releases first major update to Luminar Flex plugin: Accent AI 2.0, improved interface, and more - DIY Photography

07-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will have to check it out. The library version of Luminar has never worked for me and I was using the old 2018 version. I use Apple Photos for my library when I use Luminar.
07-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I will have to check it out. The library version of Luminar has never worked for me and I was using the old 2018 version. I use Apple Photos for my library when I use Luminar.
If you bought Luminar 2018, Luminar Flex should be available on the My Software page in your Skylum account.
07-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you bought Luminar 2018, Luminar Flex should be available on the My Software page in your Skylum account.
yes - if you own a copy of Luminar, you should be able to download Flex for free...

07-15-2019, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. I found it on the Skylum site. Thanks. I'll download it tonight. If I understand you correctly it is Luminar 3 without the library so it should offer a few tricks not available in Luminar 2018. I don't know how I missed that.

I own all the Luminars back to 2016 as well as the Creative Kit before that. I find the old Creative Kit Apps (Snapheal, Tonality, Noiseless, and Focus) are pretty darn good and still offer some capabilities that make them nice to keep around.
07-16-2019, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

You guys using Luminar and/or Flex, are you finding the experience on your computers a bit pokey? I downloaded the trial versions of both, and I definitely like Luminar better despite the lack of a DAM, but it's slow and briefly hangs now and then. I'm on a puny laptop right now, which I deftly bought thinking i'd use it while traveling, and am considering an upgrade so if your experience is smooth, I'd like to hear what systems you're running it on for reference for my next hardware upgrade. Thanks!

(PS: I'm aware a DAM is in the works for Luminar, but probly not till 2020. I'll have to keep LR until that time.)
07-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
You guys using Luminar and/or Flex, are you finding the experience on your computers a bit pokey? I downloaded the trial versions of both, and I definitely like Luminar better despite the lack of a DAM, but it's slow and briefly hangs now and then. I'm on a puny laptop right now, which I deftly bought thinking i'd use it while traveling, and am considering an upgrade so if your experience is smooth, I'd like to hear what systems you're running it on for reference for my next hardware upgrade. Thanks!

(PS: I'm aware a DAM is in the works for Luminar, but probly not till 2020. I'll have to keep LR until that time.)

I'm a Mac user and it does slow down occasionally for me, but usually because I'm multitasking and forcing it to run in a smaller RAM-space...

07-16-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote

Luminar 3 has a DAM...but it's a resource hog, and doesn't have all of the features that Lightroom has... That is why they released Luminar Flex...

Next years version may iron out some of the problems with the DAM (originally promised for Luminar 2018, which is why Luminar 3 was a free upgrade). In any case Luminar uses the GPU if you have one. Much more so than Lightroom.
07-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Can you enter keywords in Luminar 3? I didn't see a mechanism, and when I went to the website FAQ, I kept seeing requests for it and something about how it's on the roadmap.