Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

use saturation less and less as my very poor PP skills develop. I am generally a jpeg shooter and have recently started using 'bright' versus 'natural' which prolly has something to do with that.

used to a use a 'warm' filter in my editor that significantly boosted the saturation quite often but rarely apply it anymores if at all.

also everything had to be in color but more and more monochrome has appealed to me where I would not even consider it.

08-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at my most used preset, I usually shoot raw at -0.7 EV.

Under the Enhance menu Contrast plus .1, Definition .25, Saturation +.2

Highlights +.25 . Shadows .38
Levels to suit the image
Sharpen .22 Radius 2.68.

Other likely adjustments will be global white balance and exposure.

To me the key to saturation, contrast whatever, is don't lose detail. If you lose detail or create halos or artifacts you've overdone it. I'm more than aware many people don't like my processing. As Bart SImpson would say "Eat my shorts." Do what's right for you. If you're not paying me I don't care what you think. Enough people pay me for my work, or are really happy with it, I'm not switching unless a paying client request a change or someone can guarantee me I'll sell more their way, which of course, none of the critics ever does. As it is, I shoot for the people who like what I do. If they don't like it that's fine too, no sweat off my back. Whatever you do, if you like it, someone somewhere will like it as well. Please yourself. Process for the people who like what you like.

Last edited by normhead; 08-30-2019 at 05:53 AM.
08-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I have heard of a thing called a calibrated monitor. I don't have one, but I know the laptop monitor is quite dull compared to others, so I'd try to use a monitor you trust before making any changes.
I've used a ColorMunki Smile to calibrate all of my computers/monitors and it has reduced my frustration considerably. Now, when I print or have a photo printed, the results are indistinguishable from what was represented on the monitor.

Re PP: I usually sharpen a bit and even the lighting; reduce bright areas and lighten dark areas. Sometimes I add saturation and/or tweak individual colors. I usually try to achieve what I perceived when taking the photo.
08-16-2019, 02:43 AM   #19
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your great advice. Looks like I'm still being too much aggressive with editing, I may try to slow down a bit. Another question: on average how much time do you spend processing 1 image?

08-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Another question: on average how much time do you spend processing 1 image?
generally a few minutes or so it seems.....not very long....when cropping for composition would be bulk of the time
08-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
Pentaxian

It varies greatly. Sometimes less than a minute. Sometimes much longer. The ones that tale longer are either really good shots that I want to get the most out of, or more commonly really bad shots I am trying to salvage.
08-30-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just came home from a three week trip with over 1000 images. 30 seconds an image is about average. 5 seconds if they are out of focus or technically flawed. That's how long it takes to initiate a "delete image" command. For any image we will print, half an hour to 45 minutes is a good guess. For images posted on-line 30 seconds is usually all I need. Select the correct preset. Custom tweak the adjustments used in the preset. Move on to the next.

08-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #23
Forum Member

As Bob Ross always said, it’s your world - you can make it any way you want it to be. Clicking through presets is a good way to get ideas of what’s possible. Our edits change over time as we evolve artistically.
09-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding color, I find that sometimes I do depending on the lens. I have found from experience that some of my old film lenses don't do color as well as the ones with newer coatings. Also, I spend amount 1-2 minutes for post-processing the images I actually think are good. That's after culling a bunch of them.

Personally I find postprocessing fun. I enjoy it almost as much as taking the shot, because when I get something good I just love looking at that unedited raw file ready for processing, and knowing that I took it.