Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Video from stills.

I'm trying to help somebody promote their heritage diesel locomotive. They have a youtube channel but very few videos to showcase on it. I have a lot of stills of the loco from earlier in its preservation life, which would be of interest. My question is, would it be possible to create a slideshow and put it into a video, so that people would be able to watch it, much as they would watch a video.

Attached Images

07-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it is possible to do what you are asking. Unfortunately I do not know the names of any tools for doing that but I'm pretty-sure that MS and Apple both offer one for free that will probably get you want you need. I did a quick search and it looks like I am correct here is what I found for the MS Windows solution and for the MacOS solution. Hope this helps and best of luck. I can't say anything more on either of these as I haven't used either of them but things at least look doable.
07-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes. I did something similar a few years back.
Make a presentation using powerpoint, every computer with office installed has it.
So you basically make a slideshow with it, not hard to do.
Now save your powerpoint and convert that to video.
I did it, but forgot how I did, I think maybe is was just SAVE AS, and a video format within powerpoint.
I'm real sketchy on the details, I'd google to get those

Good luck
Jack
07-23-2019, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it's possible in many video editors; I've done this most recently using Shotcut, which is a very versatile free video editor. Basically you drag stills into the video timeline where they get a default time display time, which you can change to what you want. You can then overlay a soundtrack if you want to, then export as a video file. You can use this technique to mix video and stills into the same video file.

07-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My friend who is a wedding photographer uses this software ProShow Gold - Create Fast and Fun Photo Slideshows to make slide shows out of still images. He is a long time user and swears by this software. You can convert the slide shows to videos. In a few cases he even brought in finished videos which were edited in Premier Pro to add titles and do other effects. He says it is easier than doing it in Premier Pro. If I do not miss my guess, this is for PC only.
07-23-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for very interesting replies, will certainly check those ideas out.
07-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
My friend who is a wedding photographer uses this software
Our camera club uses this very capable software. Our image handlers send images away to be judged. The judges record audio, which the image handler syncs with the images for viewing at our meetings. Recording the slideshow as video does degrade the image quality, so I only did it as a back up.

It was my experience that computer resources needed increased with the number of images and length of audio. Eventually I handed off the job to someone with a better computer. If a trial version is available, check to ensure the computer you own is powerful enough to do the job.