Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Pixel-shift bug in DCU 5.6.0?

I always shoot tripod-mounted landscape images in pixel-shift mode, and process both in P-S and as a single image. If the motion artifacts are too much I use the single image, otherwise I use the single image to fix motion problems in the P-S image.

However, recently, DCU will not export either a jpeg or a tif file when I change the P-S parameter from 'as set on camera' to 'off'. The process window shows for just an instant, then vanishes. This happens with both my K-1 Mk I and K-70.

I have DCU 5.6.0 installed on 2 computers and the problem occurs on both.

I can open the PEF file in DxO photolab and process a single image from the raw file with that app.

Processing both P-S and a single extracted image used to work, and now it doesn't. Is this a known problem, and is there a fix?

David

08-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am able to "save as" from the laboratory tab with P-S set to "as set on camera" and "off" using PDCU 5.7.2. Perhaps updating to v5.7.2 or higher might solve the problem?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-01-2019 at 10:50 PM.
08-01-2019, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Have you tried using ths most recent version of PDCU5 Version 5.8.3?

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ Windows

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ Mac.

Maybe that might help.
08-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies. I updated to 5.8.3 and that solves the problem (for now).

08-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds good!
08-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I would also advise you check out 'RawTherapee' and it's pixelshift feature/support. There are quite a number of articles on the internet (just google 'RawTherapee Pixelshift' and you should find a few). As someone who uses pixelshift a lot I have to say RT does a far better job than DCU, it's significantly better.
08-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment. I have RT 5.2 installed, and have used it on occasion; more now since there are presets for pixel-shift. It's probably no surprise to you that I find RT hard to use, with poor or non-existant descriptions of the hundreds of parameters.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I found the RT implementation of PS worse than DCU - colors muddier, result noisier, and most importantly, the sensitivity to motion too high (when I look at the map of pixels where motion was detected, presumably by intensity differences in the 2 green pixel values, many many are shown as having motion and therefore unsuitable for PS. It seems to me that DCU is more lenient in how much intensity difference is allowed.)

David
08-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidwright2000 Quote
Thanks for the comment. I have RT 5.2 installed, and have used it on occasion; more now since there are presets for pixel-shift. It's probably no surprise to you that I find RT hard to use, with poor or non-existant descriptions of the hundreds of parameters.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I found the RT implementation of PS worse than DCU - colors muddier, result noisier, and most importantly, the sensitivity to motion too high (when I look at the map of pixels where motion was detected, presumably by intensity differences in the 2 green pixel values, many many are shown as having motion and therefore unsuitable for PS. It seems to me that DCU is more lenient in how much intensity difference is allowed.)

David
What I can understand is that natively when using RT things can look low contrast, a very dull and flat lifeless image not at all like how it was taken at the time of the shot or how LR or other software would interpret the file. I've since discovered RT supports the same lens profile correction as LR and have learned how to quickly apply some 'Auto settings' so that the image starts to look a lot like it should before applying the motion correction, and this can really help in seeing the changes being made in a positive light.

Really I visit RT for a total of about 4-5 mouse clicks then leave with the exported Tiff with MC done properly and then use LR and PS to do the rest. It is indepth, but lacking user friendliness for sure, so I understand your sentiment exactly. But there is not doubt that when used proficiently it does a better job than DCU. There have been many online reviewers saying so complete with crop demonstrations where artefacts are still present with DCU but gone with RT.

I think Pentax Forums should have a stab at doing a short article for how to use RT optimally, a start to end process showing how to set up lens correction profiles and driving the image more towards something more accurate and pleasing with MC applied.