Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Merging RGB layers in Paintshop Pro 2019

So I have three images from a telescope using red, green and blue filters. I want to merge them into a colour image. How do I do this with Paintshop Pro 2019? I've tried making them into three layers, but with no transparency, I can't figure out how to merge them to create a colour image.

08-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #2

This will help:
Deep Sky Stacker is for free.
By, Andrej
08-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrej Quote
Thanks! I didn't need the stacking software in this instance, and the video gave me the clue I needed, which was to create an image by combining from three images specified as RGB channels. The video was for Photoshop, but Paintshop Pro has the same ability to combine channels from RGB (and HSL for that matter). Since I installed Deepsky stacker, I might try stacking some photos I took last night with the K3 and GPS.
08-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bizarre. I tried stacking three images from the K3, and DeepSkyStacker eliminated most of the stars.

08-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Bizarre. I tried stacking three images from the K3, and DeepSkyStacker eliminated most of the stars.
What did you use for a background subtract image?

Steve
08-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What did you use for a background subtract image?
Do you mean a dark frame? I didn't have one (I realise that it's suboptimal, but I just wanted to try stacking, since the program had always crashed on my computers in the past). The dim stars were actually in the stacked image, but the brightness was adjusted such that they had become invisible. Possibly the default adjustments in DeepSkyStacker assume more light pollution.

This is an edited version of the stacked image:

Crux
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

And this is an earlier single frame of a slightly different part of the sky, more to the east:

The Stunning Southern Sky

I expect that I'd get more meaningful results with a dimmer object such as the Orion Nebula (wrong time of year) or maybe even the region around Eta Carinae. When it worked, I did get some good results from the startracer last night.
09-05-2019, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PSP 19 help :
QuoteQuote:
1 Open each color channel file.
2 Choose Image > Combine Channel, and choose one of the following:
• Combine from RGB
• Combine from HSL
• Combine from CMYK
3 For each Channel Source drop-list, select the name of the file that contains that channel. For example, in the Combine RGB dialog box, select the file Red1 as the red channel source.
Note: If you are combining channels that you split with the Split Channel command, mark the Sync check box to have Corel PaintShop Pro automatically fill in the Channel Source boxes with matching file names.
4 Click OK.
A new file is created from the selected channels.
09-05-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
PSP 19 help :
Thanks. I couldn't find anything in the help files myself, but must have been using the wrong criteria. I don't find the indexing of the help files very helpful.

---------- Post added 06-09-19 at 09:03 AM ----------

PS This was the image I was trying to assemble:

Helix Nebula