Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Luminance HDR on Linux not working

I'm running Xubuntu Linux, obviously an Ubuntu offshoot. Through the native software package repository I installed Luminance HDR, version 2.6.0. Seems to have installed fine, integrated with the GUI/menu fine, and initially runs without issue.

But I can't get it to create an initial HDR file. I click on "New HDR..." wizard, then I'll pick my RAW files (in my test case three shots each exposed 2 stops apart). I'll click the boxes for auto-align, auto-crop, and auto anti-ghosting. Then I hit Next. It'll calculate for a while, then I get a preview window popup of the HDR file. Close that. (IIRC) I'm left with a window with two buttons: Compute, and Cancel. Compute just takes me back to the preview. Cancel stops the new HDR generation process and dumps me back to the main window with no files loaded.

Any ideas? From online tutorials it appears that after the preview you should be routed to the main program with an HDR ready to manipulate and save. But I never get there and I don't have any obvious options to get there. Am I just missing something obvious, or is my copy of Luminance HDR corrupted or broken?

Ideas? When I get home tonight I'll try to post some screenshots, maybe that'll help. I really want to get this working because my fallback is to boot into Win7 and run Google Nik HDR Efex Pro. But I'm really trying to avoid Windows as much as possible.

08-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How did you install the program, Thor? There is a PPA available for the most recent couple of *buntus. It could be you are missing some library that XFCE doesn't have but GNOME does. - Jack
08-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
How did you install the program, Thor? There is a PPA available for the most recent couple of *buntus. It could be you are missing some library that XFCE doesn't have but GNOME does. - Jack
I'm pretty sure I installed through the Xubuntu Gnome software package manager.
09-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't have much to offer, only this: before installing Windows, I would definitely try running the Windows version of Luminance via Wine to see what that gets me.

09-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I'd forgotten about this thread. I did get Luminance HDR to work. I had to uncheck a check box (I believe it said "show preview" or similar) somewhere near the end of the import process. I swear I'd tried everything including that before resorting to this thread, but I guess not.