Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2019, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focus stacking with hand held shots

Hi

I was backup on a cycling tour in Damaraland and took these shots from the back of a vehicle ( about 20 I think, to make sure I get a good one) with my KP and DA*300 F4. I was on centre point autofocus single and some focusessed on the vehicle lion ( first one ) and the some of my Landcruiser ( second ). I used PS6 with auto align and stacked just these two. It was a hot day and there was a lot of atmospherics visible on the vehicle, but I did manage to get both the lion and the vehicle reasonably sharp on the stacked shot and even managed to gain a small bird! ( top right )

I did not plan a focus stacking, but I think it shows that with the some software a hand held shot is quite useful for stacking

Final shot:

09-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting shot. I guess that was not the time to walk over to the Landcruiser.
09-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done it a few times hand held when a tripod was not available. My method is to use "back button focus." I will first pre-focus on the foreground, then compose my shot how I want it. Then quickly press the shutter button, then the BBF to refocus and take the second photo, all the time trying to hold the camera as steady as I can. Usually PS can align the two photos and then focus stack them.
09-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Important Point

I think the most important point to make here is "why is the lion between you and the Land Cruiser"?

Second question. How did you get back?

09-02-2019, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jondolar Quote
I think the most important point to make here is "why is the lion between you and the Land Cruiser"?Second question. How did you get back
Fair question

The 16 strong cycle tour has passed on the little jeep track stretching in front of the Land Cruiser and I was the sweeper with a mechanic on board as well. A rhino tracker driving another Land cruiser was the guide and when we saw the lion we piled onto the back of his vehicle and went went to see the lion from another vantage point. He stopped at the perfect place to take this shot. The distance between the Land Cruiser on the photo and the lion was about 200 yards. The lion ambled off and we could return to my car
09-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Fair question

The 16 strong cycle tour has passed on the little jeep track stretching in front of the Land Cruiser and I was the sweeper with a mechanic on board as well. A rhino tracker driving another Land cruiser was the guide and when we saw the lion we piled onto the back of his vehicle and went went to see the lion from another vantage point. He stopped at the perfect place to take this shot. The distance between the Land Cruiser on the photo and the lion was about 200 yards. The lion ambled off and we could return to my car
This gives a whole new meaning to running across wildlife while mountain biking or trail riding. The worst I have come across was stopping just 15 feet short of slamming into a large male black bear this past July on a densely forested remote trail. While I didnít have to use it, I was amazed how long it took me to get my can of bear spray out of my pack. I wonder if bear spray would work on the lion .

Nice job stacking the image. I didnít see the lion until I actually read your post. There arenít many Namib lions as i understand it, so nice capture there too.

Stephen