Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #1

Question for "Raw Therapee" users

I have used "Raw Therapee" to edit the DNG files from my K3 for quite awhile now and found it to be adequate for my needs. However, it has recently developed an issue that is driving me nuts and I am hoping that someone here might have experienced something similar or have suggestions on how to fix the problem. Anyway, it has recently developed a very long delay between moving any of the sliders and then seeing the result of doing so. This delay is now some 8 to 10 seconds and it used to be almost in sync with the sliders. This makes editing a very long and involved process now and very difficult to make fine adjustments.

I have tried many things to hopefully correct this issue, but nothing has had any effect so far. I have rebooted the computer repeatedly, Closed all other running programs, tried loading only a few files at a time to edit, cleared over 40 Gig of disk space and used disk cleanup and defrag tools, I've tried saving the edits to a different drive and even importing them from different locations on multiple drives both internal and external. After all that, I even uninstalled then reinstalled the entire program, but the problem is unchanged.

I am still using Windows 7 and fear that the computer might be the actual culprit here by running slow, but it's not really noticeable on any other program I use regularly and I'm not really ready yet to wipe the computer clean and start over or invest in another computer, but fear that this is probably going to be the ultimate solution. Therefore, I'd sure be interested in hearing from other "Raw Therapee" users and especially from anyone that has encountered similar issues with their work flow. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find another way to process my DNG files and I'm on a fixed income with a low budget for this sort of thing. Any help here would be deeply appreciated!

09-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wat computer are you using?

Are you REALLY sure nothing else is running? Do you know how to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to task manager and check running programs as well as CPU and memory usage? Try that - you might discover that, for whatever reason, you are running close to maximum memory usage. That can dramatically slow down a Windows system. Increasing RAM and/or switching to a solid state C: drive is often a relatively cheap way to improve system performance.
09-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

How much RAM (memory) does your computer have? That's often an easy and cost effective performance improving upgrade. Also try defragmenting your hard drive.
09-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any chance you've moved to larger image sizes? More pixels to process means more processing time.

If you haven't changed computers or introduced any new programs that might be running in the background, then it tends to point to your system. As previously mentioned by AstroDave and E-man, RAM can be an issue (both size and functionality - some may have failed). It's unlikely it's your actual computer or HD since those functions (sliders) work using RAM for the most part. There are programs that test RAM - you might try one of those to see if yours is up to snuff. Otherwise, you might need to swap out RAM modules one-at-a-time to see if it makes any difference. You can also pull up your system monitor to see if any other programs are working in the background and taking up CPU resources, but it's hard to diagnose without knowing what the baseline was before this problem occurred.

Lastly, are you running a virus checker? If you picked up a virus, that could account for slow operation since viruses run in the background and can take up resources. In case you don't run virus protection, you probably should and you should run a system scan with it just to see if anything shows up.

09-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bison Bud Quote
I have used "Raw Therapee" to edit the DNG files from my K3 for quite awhile now and found it to be adequate for my needs. However, it has recently developed an issue that is driving me nuts and I am hoping that someone here might have experienced something similar or have suggestions on how to fix the problem. Anyway, it has recently developed a very long delay between moving any of the sliders and then seeing the result of doing so. This delay is now some 8 to 10 seconds and it used to be almost in sync with the sliders. This makes editing a very long and involved process now and very difficult to make fine adjustments.

I have tried many things to hopefully correct this issue, but nothing has had any effect so far. I have rebooted the computer repeatedly, Closed all other running programs, tried loading only a few files at a time to edit, cleared over 40 Gig of disk space and used disk cleanup and defrag tools, I've tried saving the edits to a different drive and even importing them from different locations on multiple drives both internal and external. After all that, I even uninstalled then reinstalled the entire program, but the problem is unchanged.

I am still using Windows 7 and fear that the computer might be the actual culprit here by running slow, but it's not really noticeable on any other program I use regularly and I'm not really ready yet to wipe the computer clean and start over or invest in another computer, but fear that this is probably going to be the ultimate solution. Therefore, I'd sure be interested in hearing from other "Raw Therapee" users and especially from anyone that has encountered similar issues with their work flow. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find another way to process my DNG files and I'm on a fixed income with a low budget for this sort of thing. Any help here would be deeply appreciated!
I was running into bottlenecks on my machine while editing and post processing images. My OS is Windows 7 Pro, installed on the latest ASUS motherboard and running an ASUS video card, maxed out memory and an Intel quad core processor. After installing all the software I use I noticed after about 6 months the machine begin to drag along while editing images.

This became dramatically evident after letting Windows install a bunch of updates.

The problem became so troublesome that the machine would often lock up and completely refuse to respond.

So I reinstalled everything from scratch. After getting the OS installed and running right, I installed all of my applications, and then ran windows update once. Of course it "discovered" hundreds, maybe even thousands, of updates. I installed the first half dozen or so (don't remember exactly how many, just until the machine was running solidly, and how I wanted it configured), then shut off Windows Update.

I have't had any trouble since. The machine boots up promptly, and sings right along, no slowdowns, no hiccups.

I also ditched Firefox, as it was clogging up the bandwidth on my motherboard too. Now I use Opera.

This business of constantly updating software, and patching it, doesn't seem to fix anything, and all too often creates more problems than it fixes.
09-02-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only updates I Install on my Windows 7 Pro are the security updates, and Tuesday issued updates which include all new updates for the week.. So far my computer runs good. 16GB ram, Gigabyte motherboard, AMD FX8350 8 core processor, standalone video card, Nvidia GT 750 built by me.

I've not encountered any problems with any processing software I'm running.
09-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The OP's issue is partly why I've chosen to use Ubuntu Studio/Linux for several years now, to work on my photo post proccessing. I do agree with the other posters saying it's a RAM issue. My current daily driver laptop does have lots of RAM, 32 GB to be exact. That's because I run several VM's and CAD software for my day job.

As far as Windows, I'm on 10 Pro. No point in running anything older if you have a PC from 2012 to the present right now, IMHO. Also, SSD's just work better these days.
09-02-2019, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Make sure you use the latest version . There has been issues before on windows. Also consider if you've started using any new and resource intensive modules. Try saving disabling those until you export or get used to applying them last. Think sharpening or wavelet modules.

09-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Go to the following folder:

C:\Users\<whateveryourusernameis>\AppData\Local

This is a hidden folder, so you might have to turn on the hidden folder option. Look for a RawTherapee folder & then move that folder to the desktop for now. It basically contains all your RawTherapee settings & a cache.

Now start RawTherapee. It's going to start up like a brand new installation with your settings totally reset to default. See how long it takes to boot & how long it takes to move the slider. If it's much faster, then all is good. Close RawTherapee & copy the "options" file inside that RawTherapee folder on your desktop back into the new RawTherapee folder in the AppData\Local to get back your previous settings. It all should be good after that. If not, something else major is going on.

You can also visit the RawTherapee forum & see if you can get some help there.
09-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the advice! I too now think that it's probably a RAM issue and I hope to get some time later today to work with it more. I'll let you guys know if I figure this thing out. Good luck and good shooting to all.
09-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been a while since I poked around with RawTherapee, but I seem to remember there were some settings for adjusting the number of buffers preset at program startup depending on how much installed RAM you had to optimize performance. Do you have a separate graphics card with its own video RAM, or do you use shared system motherboad RAM? That can make a big difference in graphics performance.

There are several system optimizing software programs available. I'm a big fan of System Mechanic. I've used it for many years. It runs in the background looking for system problems such as RAM that a closed program hasn't released, registry conflicts, and hundreds of other things that may slow down your system. It defrags your hard drive and your RAM on the fly, and performs many behind-the-scenes optimizations/fixes in real time. You can use it to configure your boot-up sequence so that nothing automatically starts unless you want it to. There are different versions available; Basic, Pro, and Ultimate Defense. I use the Pro version. I don't use Ultimate Defense since I use other software for anti-virus.
iolo technologies - Windows PC Tune-up Software Experts
09-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #12
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard drives of the SSD type shouldn't be defragged.
09-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #13

Have you tried changing the settings in the Performance tab? I agree that it's probably a RAM issue, but perhaps changing some of these settings could help.
I have a 2014 notebook and it rarely hangs when I use RT. I do use RT on some older computers that run Windows 7 with at least 4GB, and even though they are sometimes slow to render the changes when I move the sliders, they take 3 to 4 seconds at most.