Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Checked out HDR software, surprise "winner"

Decided to check out some HDR packages since I've been curious about it. HDR can be really neat, really overdone (sometimes to great effect), and is just a technically interesting concept.

It seems like everybody I know uses and loves Photomatix, so that was my first stop. Downloaded the trial and checked it out. Can't say I was overly impressed; sure, it does a nice job with the images, but the user interface is clunky and the performance was less than impressive. I was pretty surprised as this seems to be more or less the 'standard' for HDR.

So I downloaded 8 or 9 packages to check out. Some I struck off the list immediately (like Artizan, which crashed severely on the first go), and a few more I gave a little more in-depth evaluation.

One big thing that I did not realize initially was how much image alignment comes into play. I have a good tripod but at 100% some of the shots I did were slightly off, and it only takes a pixel or two to make the result less than desirable. I was not happy with the auto alignment of ANY of the programs. All of them seemed to require some manual tweaking. That interface was vastly different among the packages!

In the end, one software won me over: Dynamic Photo HDR. The user interface is great, it is VERY fast on my lowly dual core laptop (Turion TL-58), and the alignment tool flat out ROCKS. And it was only $55 which is much better than some of the other ones! I wish it had a RAW converter (EDIT: oops, it does, for some reason that wasn't working in the trial for me), but I can live without it for the little HDR I will do.

So, color me surprised, because I expected to like Photomatix and to be honest it was one of the packages I liked the least.

Just thought I'd share in case anybody's looking into this. (And I posted a more garish/overdone sample here on my blog.)

Last edited by pingflood; 10-13-2008 at 04:19 PM.
10-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's interesting. I'll check it out. I'm looking into the Photomatix Plug-in for Lightroom.
10-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
That's interesting. I'll check it out. I'm looking into the Photomatix Plug-in for Lightroom.
I wasn't aware there was such a plug in for lightroom. That would be cool if it works well.
Nice photo you posted here Pingflood.
10-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I second the kudos for Dynamic HDR. I have found it much easier to use than Photomatix and with the alignment tool, prevents any unwanted ghosting or blurred edges when shooting 3 to 5 bracketed shots instead of a bracketed shot from one photograph. I also find the result to be much more controllable and results to be more "real"with Dynamic. Lastly, the little watermark from Dynamic is so tiny and restricted to the very bottom corner, unlike the Photomatix watermark which is all over the image, with the trial version that is...it seems to be a better tool to "try before you buy" Here is one from a series I took a few days ago here in Athens.

Jason

10-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Could you list the other programs that you tried? I'm interested in this as well. Right now I'm almost settled on FDRTools and wondered if that was among your testers.
10-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also like dynamic HDR. Best interface so far IMO.

Mine seems to open my PEFs just fine.
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
I also like dynamic HDR. Best interface so far IMO.

Mine seems to open my PEFs just fine.
Doh, you are right! I couldn't get it to work in the trial, but it does work fine here in the registered version... maybe something wasn't working right before because they're supposed to be identical.

QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Could you list the other programs that you tried? I'm interested in this as well. Right now I'm almost settled on FDRTools and wondered if that was among your testers.
Don't recall them all (removed most by now), but some were:

Photomatix
Dynamic Photo HDR
Artizen HDR
FDRtools (installer bombed out on Vista SP1 for me, so no real trial there)
Picturenaut
EasyHDR
Essential HDR

I'd like to hear how you like FDRtools; perhaps I shouldn't have given up on it so easily but DPHDR was running so well that I just was not inclined to make further effort to get past the crashing installer.

10-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the list. I've tried Artizen HDR and Photomatrix as well, Photomatrix won hands down. Need to look at some of the others you mentioned.

As for FDRTools I found it easier to produce more realistic HDR photos in it than in Photomatrix, but I could get the surreal look as well. The Pro version has a good manual alignment tool and I preferred the mixing tools to Photomatrix. FDRTools can be as automatic as Photmatrix on the image mixing end, but I felt I had more control between the three modes offered in the Pro version. Photomatrix has more options for the final rendering, but I found it more difficult to get a "real" looking image. I haven't bought FDRTools yet only because the USD is so weak against the Euro. Might be for the best until I need what Dynamic HDR can do.
10-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I use photomatix and so far i havent felt the need to try any others. I just love the comprehensive control you get over every detail of the processing. Then i take it into photoshop and add the finishing touches.

Here are some shots i took at the hospital in my town the other night.

I Lied. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sunset Reaching on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sunset over Loughborough on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
10-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Isaac: those are definitely a little "over the top" but the results are outstanding. How many exposures did you use, and did you start from raw files?
10-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #11

Thats is some great pictures you guys have. Can I use wireless remote to take continous pictures?
10-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

photomatix is...meh at best. I've been toying with CS3 HDR merge lately. Seems good...
10-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Isaac: those are definitely a little "over the top" but the results are outstanding. How many exposures did you use, and did you start from raw files?
What do you mean by over the top? I know as images they are a pretty insane but i tried not to overdo the "HDRness" (i.e. flat oversharpened images). Thanks for your opinion.

I used 2 exposures, one underexposed by 2 clicks, and the other overexposed by 2 clicks (i dont know what the e.v. is of that... )

dave sz, I thought CS3 only merged HDR, but i dont think it can tone map? at least not very well. tone mapping is the processing which turns an HDR image into a detailed and full image, before that it is just a little flatter and with less clipping...
10-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
What do you mean by over the top? I know as images they are a pretty insane but i tried not to overdo the "HDRness" (i.e. flat oversharpened images). Thanks for your opinion.
Over the top as in, I guess, hyper-realistic. It was a compliment! HDR is a really nice tool for conveying what you "saw" in your mind but the camera had a hard time capturing. Your stuff looks great.

mummy: I think the Pentax Remote F does allow for using bracketing mode, but I am not 100% certain.
10-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #15

Dynamic Photo HDR looks like a great piece of software but too bad it's only available for PC...I do all my photo management/editing on a Mac.