Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Laptop Suggestions based around LR/PS use.

I will start shopping for a new PC in the near future. Initially I was thinking desktop as I use a 43 inch 4k monitor and a 24 inch 144hz 1080p panel, I am not really needing a 3rd screen (nor do I think I will have much room for one!), however my intention is to do tethering and on location studio shoots, so I think a laptop does make more sense.

My requirements are pretty low, I'm not expecting to get the latest and greatest. Screen quality for example doesn't even need to be crazy good, just something that will work well for tethering in LR (not sure if there is a cap here in terms of tethering software), I will be using 4k 43 inch monitors for 99% of the editing, the lid will stay shut.

What matters more is performance, good guts to get LR and PS working fluid and well.

SSD wise a 256gb ssd minimum, preferably 500gb. I do own a Sanddisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD which will contain all of my catalog and RAW files, OS is really for applications and minimum data. So the laptop must have thunderbolt/USB C to take full advantage of that SSD.

Can anyone make any suggestions surrounding those parameters?

Other things to note is that I own a Orico 13 port USB 3.0 powered hub, so ports I should be ok with too; https://www.gamesmen.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab3352...3.0_hub_4_.jpg

An SD card slot on the laptop would be a nice touch as well.

Really this is all about the laptop being able to handle outputting to two monitors at once, and that the monitor out ports can handle 4k and 144hz refresh rates (not be capped at 60hz for example like some ports can be).

TIA!

BB

09-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have always stuck with a gaming machine, my last two were ASUS. My current is a Asus ROG G752VT DH74 Laptop, with a Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60Hz 2.59GHz. 24 GB RAM It has a 250 gig SSD for the C drive and a 1 TB for data. Screen is 17". If needed we have another 24" monitor.
I run LR, PS, Premier Pro without any problems.

My wife uses a Dell Alienware laptop, about the same configuration as mind. She has had a few problems with her Dell, but it was always fixed by Dell.

We each use two separate usb drives for backups, stored in a fireproof safe. Ideally one of the usb drives should be off site, but it's not.
Neither one of us are a gamer.
09-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

I also use an Asus ROG G751jt-ch71. It originally had one 1tb HHD drive. I have installed a 1tb SSD as boot and working drive, use the HHD as storage drive. Runs all the editing software just fine including video editing.
09-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can advise you of a gaming laptop to avoid, the Medion Erazer. (Model no. P7643).

The SD card slot recognizes then loses the card. It will work on the second attempt. Always does this without fail, I gave up and bought a USB - SD adaptor.

The keyboard is really a tinny sounding board, nothing like an HP laptop for example.

The touch pad is completely, and I mean completely unusable. I use a wireless mouse anyhow.

The screen, well sometimes it will randomly go blank for a second or two. It will do this anyway when connecting or disconnecting the charger. If the charger plug is loose in the socket it will go on and off like a light bulb repeatedly. It will also start a blanking routine when the battery is fully charged.

The back casing is flimsy, and has not fitted properly since I installed another 8GB of ram, that maybe my fault though.

Other than that, it starts in 2 seconds, has no lag with LR editing K-1 files and was somewhat cheaper than an HP laptop would have been. I wish I had the HP though.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 09-17-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added model no.
09-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

I picked up the Acer Spin 3 14" laptop. It is very quick with Lightroom, I have not done much with Photoshop on it yet. It has an 8th gen I7 processor, 16 gb ram and 512GB SSD. I have an external hard drive for long term storage. It can be used as a tablet, comes with a touch screen. I am very happy with it. I got it on Prime day for $700, but it is now $809.
09-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can recommend Dell XPS laptops. They come in a variety of configurations. I would strongly recommend an i7 processor with at least 16GB of RAM. As for the storage drive, SSD all the way and probably 500GB minimum size.

I think you will get better performance if you keep the LR catalog on the internal SSD, rather than having it with the image files on the external drive.
09-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I have always stuck with a gaming machine
Gaming hardware is typically well thought out and designed with an eye to high performance. The only issue I can see with this approach for laptops is the display may be a weak point, but you can always get an external monitor with specifications more suitable for photography.

I use gaming hardware to build my own computers and I am seldom found wanting when it comes to finding high performance hardware, the only limit is the cost of it all. I spent $5,000 on my water cooled ITX system build.

[EDIT]: A thought occurred to me, you might want to look into the Wacom mobilestudio line of photographic editing surfaces. Although I don't work with these personally, I do use a large number of wacom input devices* and can attest to their excellent quality and superb ergonomic design.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I do own a Sanddisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD which will contain all of my catalog and RAW files
Yikes, you might want to consider getting a NAS. Qnap and Synology both make very good RAID enclosures. Hard drives can fail, and when they do your options for recovering the data becomes very expensive, depending upon the nature of the failure. To protect your work: a redundant array of Inexpensive disk drives and a suitable enclosure to keep them in would be a good idea

* for the sake of disclosure, I work with the Cintiq line of interactive pen and touch displays, and intuos pen tablets.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-17-2019 at 06:52 PM.
09-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Gaming hardware is typically well thought out and designed with an eye to high performance. The only issue I can see with this approach for laptops is the display may be a weak point, but you can always get an external monitor with specifications more suitable for photography.

I use gaming hardware to build my own computers and I am seldom found wanting when it comes to finding high performance hardware, the only limit is the cost of it all. I spent $5,000 on my water cooled ITX system build.

[EDIT]: A thought occurred to me, you might want to look into the Wacom mobilestudio line of photographic editing surfaces. Although I don't work with these personally, I do use a large number of wacom input devices* and can attest to their excellent quality and superb ergonomic design.

Yikes, you might want to consider getting a NAS. Qnap and Synology both make very good RAID enclosures. Hard drives can fail, and when they do your options for recovering the data becomes very expensive, depending upon the nature of the failure. To protect your work: a redundant array of Inexpensive disk drives and a suitable enclosure to keep them in would be a good idea

* for the sake of disclosure, I work with the Cintiq line of interactive pen and touch displays, and intuos pen tablets.
I did gaming desktops, built my last one, nowhere near the price tag you have and this was over a decade ago. Funnily tho, gaming sucks today (imo), there are no real good competitive titles. I used to play semi competitively (Australia/Oceania), it's a really bleak time for good games. Steam/Valve have ruined CSGO and Rocket League is one of the few good games going around. So my specs for playing both those games (which are the only ones that really interest me) are pretty low end specs. So I don't factor it in really, instead I am just basing my decisions around LR/PS ability, if the PC can do those things well it will more than likely run those older titles fine. I was trying to keep to under $1300AUD.

Like I said, I have a 4k 43 inch monitor and a 24 inch 1080p 144hz panel, I couldn't care less really about the laptop screen, keyboard or trackpad etc. I'll seldom use it. Really a desktop makes more sense but I just know I will eventually do some on location studio work and it would be nice to even have the option to tether camera with LR... I just know that option is off the table if I go desktop...

I am always backed up, but only this year has photographic (paid) work really started to take off. Backing up is not enough, I need my contents in two different locations at all times (hence the small Extreme SSD). Cloud sounds good in theory but the NBN and upload speeds are a little too late to come around these parts and I'm actually not on an unlimited data plan, so I decided to make me the cloud
It goes without saying everything is backed up twice if not thrice, but I live in a high risk bush fire zone/area, so I have to prevent data loss to fire or theft (which I think many overlook), I think its wise to have your contents on your person as well (if funds allow), and it's quite a nice little drive. The new laptop could just have a singular 256gb ssd and no internal HDD, that would be fine by me, the 2tb SSD will be hooked to it semi permanently anyway.

U'll check the mobilestudio line out, a wacom was on my list at one point, I would really like to try that tech out. (I think if I haven't till now it's because of my 30yr + gaming background has given me pretty good fine motor control skills with a mouse that has made me pretty complacent in this regard).

09-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I just want to add in that consider invest in a monitor color calibrator too. It make a lot of difference for photo editing and graphic work.
09-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I just want to add in that consider invest in a monitor color calibrator too. It make a lot of difference for photo editing and graphic work.
Ya, I have that already.

Interestingly tho, the longer you are in this game the more you can tell that something is off anyway (like your screen needs recalibrated). This latest Win10 update has messed my previous Spyder calibration.

Anyway, having a calibrated monitor is a good idea for sure, however it's usefulness can depend a lot on what you're doing. It's mandatory for product photography to get realistic and accurate colours, and some studio shoots etc, however if you're a bit crazy like me and end up using presets and film simulation renders then a lot of the 'accurate true to life colour' thing kinda goes out the window a bit. I mean... it is important to start off that process on the right foot and have white looking like white, and not yellow or blue etc, but ultimately colour accuracy is not necessarily the point in those renders. They even give you toolkits to further mess with basic colours like blue, green and red.
09-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll check the mobilestudio line out, a wacom was on my list at one point, I would really like to try that tech out. (I think if I haven't till now it's because of my 30yr + gaming background has given me pretty good fine motor control skills with a mouse that has made me pretty complacent in this regard).
I have been using a mouse for almost as long*, I find using the wacom tablet stylus isn't just about precision**, it feels natural holding a stylus..and when it comes to editing images the stylus is designed to be an intuitive tool - especially when the tablets pressure sensitivity comes into play, being able to alter brush opacity just by pressing harder on the tablet surface is something a mouse cannot emulate. Also the more advanced art pen is also sensitive to rotation and has a greater degree of sensitivity to tilt.

This latest Win10 update has messed my previous Spyder calibration.
yes, that really annoyed me too.

* and after years of playing games and landing perfect headshots on my targets, often to the point where my opponents accuse me cheating in some manner.... Yes, I am cheating: It takes years to develop, and its called skill.

** though that is still a big factor.
09-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have been using a mouse for almost as long*, I find using the wacom tablet stylus isn't just about precision**, it feels natural holding a stylus..and when it comes to editing images the stylus is designed to be an intuitive tool - especially when the tablets pressure sensitivity comes into play, being able to alter brush opacity just by pressing harder on the tablet surface is something a mouse cannot emulate. Also the more advanced art pen is also sensitive to rotation and has a greater degree of sensitivity to tilt.

yes, that really annoyed me too.

* and after years of playing games and landing perfect headshots on my targets, often to the point where my opponents accuse me cheating in some manner.... Yes, I am cheating: It takes years to develop, and its called skill.

** though that is still a big factor.
Hehe, nice to meet another 'headshooter'

I just worried because I am not artisitic, I failed art at school, can not draw to save myself, I wondered if I would find a pen unintuitive or not. But the opacity thing (like you pointed out) could be a huge time saver in itself.

Is there a fix yet for the Spyder win 10 bug? I am yet to do another re-calibration...