Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry you never got the previous version to work. Was your computer up to the system requirements? Mine is at the moment - only just - but I tend to use 2 or 3 browsers, leaving loads of windows open, some other apps like Excel, Word, Outlook, various Explorer-windows, a PDF-reader, and the list goes on + Photoshop, Lightroom, and now Luminar. I just have to learn to be a bit more disciplined and close down some of the most demanding applications, and I've already noticed that it does make a difference.

Anyway, back to your questions. You get a number of skies with Luminar 4, There are some nice ones and also some that I'll probably never use. The worst thing about it - I find - is that you just get a list of Skies, labelled: Blue Sky #1, #2, #3 etc, Sunset #1, #2, #3 etc, and some more - just a list, no pictures. The best thing about it is that it really just takes a mouse click, it's usually done very quickly, and that you can use your 'own' skies. What I've done for example, is looking for a nice sky in my own pictures, take it to Photoshop or similar, crop the picture, so that only the sky remains, and save it as a new sky with a meaningful name in my newly created skies folder. Of course, you can add as many as you want. Just save it to a separate folder on your computer and browse to it when you need it. Again, it takes just a minute to replace - you can then move the sky up/down, blend the horizon, close any reamining gaps, relight the scene (so that it fits with the sky you've used), flip it, change the temperature, exposure and some more options that I haven't explored yet. I don't think it will lose its value any time soon to be honest. Reality is, we don't always have nice looking skies with clouds/colours and it DOES change the mood of the entire picture. A picture you might have binned previously, might now be worth rescuing. You can't lose, it'll only take a minute. Apart from the sky replacement, some of the other features are pretty good as well: detail enhancer, foliage enhancer, not to mention the portrait options. All controllable with a slider - be heavy-handed or very subtle, it's all in your power.

I'm fairly new to Luminar, so I can't tell you much about their marketing or the way they treat customers and their complaints/queries. I'm always a bit sceptical there anyway. I usually go for a trial version first - if offered. This time I just bought it right away after buying (at a discount) and working with Luminar 3. That's what I would do if I were you, 'cause I can understand very well that you're a bit wary. After the 30-day trial, you decide - are you willing to take the risk and spend the money or not.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If I've overlooked one/more, please tell me.

---------- Post added 11-21-19 at 23:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
these are both very different, and also very impressive in their replacement applications. Good to know, and thank you for sharing!

You're welcome!

11-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My PC was up to requirements. It had an i7 with 32 GB of RAM an SSD and a decent GPU (which I don't think matters). As I noted, it has been the only photo related software I've not been able to run (at all). I understood that things might work better with no software, running as admin, rebooting, etc, but never worked. I did just build a new one to get a current CPU, but I haven't tried Luminar in it as I chalked my issues up to software instability.

Thanks for the info on the skies. I probably wouldn't buy the software if that is all it offered. Originally, I had tried Luminar 3 (whatever it was before they added the libraries feature), and that worked. But as soon as they add the libraries feature, that is where things never worked. Unfortunately, with my usage, I needed to be able to quickly move from photo to photo, and the earlier implementation of the software did not allow that (at least not in Windows).

I do typically support new software that shows promise. I gave up on Lightroom, really before they went subscription. When LR6 came out and it was handicapped vs. the subscription, I shifted my attention, really to DxO. I love DxO, but I've always held out and try other software. I had high hopes for Luminar and ON1, especially if there were good attempts to equal the workflow aspects of LR (which was really what made LR standout). Developing features are great, but most software can hit that well with experiences based on how you use it and what you need. As it is, DxO is catching up on the library side itself. I still keep an eye because there are times I want to use something different, when my preferred program doesn't work.
11-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Okay, I understand where you're coming from. Maybe it'll be better after the next update, which is scheduled for December/early 2020, I think?
11-22-2019, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I downloaded Luminar 4 yesterday and spent about 6 hours playing with it. I have a powerhouse modern desktop, and had no bugs/glitches/crashes at all while playing with it.

I installed it as a plugin to my Lighroom, PS Elements, and as a stand alone. I have an old copy of PhotoShop (CS2) and it would not install as a plugin in that (although the instructions say that it can be installed as a plugin in PS- maybe my version of PS was just too old).

Luminar 4 has lots of neat "favorite presets" that come bundled with it. Also, when I bought Luminar 4, Skylum sent me some addition "favorites" (Luminar calls them "Looks") at no extra charge. While I do like many of the "Looks", it appears that they can only be applied "globally". Because almost all of my use of Luminar will be local applications via their excellent "masks", I doubt that I will ever use the pre-set "Looks" if they can not be applied locally. Not a deal breaker for me as I like using their many tools directly on the right menu. Using the tools vs looks is maybe a bit slower, but it gives me much more control than using looks globally. If any of you know how to "locally" apply a Look, please do share it with us here.

I did find where you can apply levels and curves adjustments (globally and locally), but its' kind of hidden in a sub-menu.

I like Luminar 4 very much and will incorporate it into my post processing workflow. However, I will still need to use Adobe image editing software to: edit RAWS, layers, burn (Luminar 4 only dodges), clone stamp, healing brush, lens correction, text, enlarge, and use my many NIK Collection and Topaz plugins.

Overall, I felt that buying Luminar 4 was a good investment. I like their quick, easy, slider based tools that can be applied both globally and locally. Their powerful A.I. tools work great IF you have a modern computer. However most will find that it's best to use Luminar 4 as a supliment (plugin) to their main Adobe image editing software. I do not believe that Luminar 4 can be installed as a plugin in any "non-Adobe" image editing software.
Did you notice any difference in lens correction between LR and Luminar? For some reason I feel that Luminar 3 does not seem to do a great job at lens correction.

11-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last night I tried to install Luminar 4 on a 10-year old Dell laptop that runs Windows 7. While it installed just fine, when I tried to use it I got an error message about having an inadequate graphics card. I guess that I was not too surprised because this is an old laptop and it was never configured to do image editing. So, I deleted it from the laptop.

I the future I'll only be using Luminar 4 on my modern desktop computer.
11-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

@Fenwoodian, how are you getting on with Luminar? The more I use it, the more I like it!
11-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've only used Luminar 4 a few times, but was pretty impressed. Here's a sample of what it, by itself, can do.

11-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pknot Quote
I've only used Luminar 4 a few times, but was pretty impressed. Here's a sample of what it, by itself, can do.

That is nice... I hear that it's much easier to do this in Luminar than Photoshop or PaintShopPro. The Luminar portrait AI also looks interesting.

11-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #39

I got luminar 3 for free (luckily) and while it was good in processing pictures it was reaaaaaaaly slow on my pc and from what ive heard a lot of people had the same issue. I dont know if in luminar 4 they fixed this issue.