Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help me pick a printer....

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good airprint capable printer that's reasonable as far as ink costs?

I am running mac osx, and usually update to the newest version, so need something that doesn't let their drivers expire.

There are plenty of printers our there, but the thing is I already have an epson scanner, and have no need for a printer/copier/scanner combination.

I occasionally print photos, so probably need an ink jet, but just need a stand alone printer.

10-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote
that's reasonable as far as ink costs
I'd be happy to recommend a printer but your criteria above make that impossible.

That said the Epson ones with the bulk tanks are most likely the most economical but are not recommended for photo printing. I use a Canon TS9120 for printing photo cards for sale and by using third party ink the costs are reasonable.
For general office work though I would consider one of the cheaper laser printers. But it depends on your volume and the intended use.
10-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you looking for a specific photo printer or one for general use that can also print decent pictures?
10-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought B/W laser Samsung 2020 Wi-Fi printer and happy with it. No issues at all and cartridge is not so expensive.
As the next step for printing photos I am looking at Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-Format Printer. It is 6 ink that allows to print A3+ format pictures.

10-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Printing photos or documents?

Canon Pro 100 is the best value for money when it goes on sale with a rebate if you need a photo printer. IF you need one for document printings.. there are a few that show up under $50 with started cartridges that last about a few hundred pages if not 1 thousand.
10-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd say general use that can occasionally print photos
10-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is impossible to accomplish. You will be disappointed with the both.

10-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"That said the Epson ones with the bulk tanks are most likely the most economical but are not recommended for photo printing."

Any idea why they are not recommended for photo printing? I had planned on one of these; but mostly for photo printing. I don't use printers everyday, and the inks in regular printers dry up.
10-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
"That said the Epson ones with the bulk tanks are most likely the most economical but are not recommended for photo printing."

Any idea why they are not recommended for photo printing? I had planned on one of these; but mostly for photo printing. I don't use printers everyday, and the inks in regular printers dry up.
I believe, you will never get an answer to your question. I will by Epson as I stated above.
10-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, hopefully someone here can answer the question. There must be a reason they are not recommended for photo printing.
10-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I found the best solution to printing at home is to buy a cheap black and white laser for household printing, then a nice photo printer for printing photos. I really love my Canon PRO-100 for big 13x19 prints but the ink prices are quite high.
10-11-2019, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any idea why they are not recommended for photo printing? I had planned on one of these; but mostly for photo printing.
They do not have multiple photo inks, just CYMK. These are the ones I mean: EcoTank Supertank Refillable Ink Tank Printers | Epson US The Eco-Tank line. Refillable ink tanks. Great for office work but not up to photo standards.

I agree with @Vasyl There isn't a printer that does great photo prints and economical office work. It all depends on your volume of course. For a small home office with reasonable volume a B&W laser for office work and a small photo printer are a good combination.

Of course it also depends on what quality photo prints you require. All inkjets will do photo prints but the quality will vary depending on the number of ink tanks and the paper handling. Many office printers will have fewer tanks and might not be able to handle thicker photo paper.
10-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies....

I would say I'm in a similar boat, I don't print that often. I hate wasting money on ink that just sits there and dries up.

I may have to go the B&W Laser route, but hate the idea of going back 20 years and not being able to print color.
10-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jatrax Thanks for the answer to my question. Glad I found out before I buy!
10-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mentioning the Canon Pro100, it is put on sale every so often and can be had for a lot less than it's list price. Usually you pay the full price but get a debit card that can be used for most anything as an offset. If you're interested in that printer, keep your eyes open. The sale usually lists in this forum.