Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A3 printer

Hi,
I have grown fed up with getting pics printed elsewhere. I tried 3 printers along the High street and I have 3 different results for the same shot with everyboy telling me their software doesn't change the shots... well not exactly, but anyway...
Could you recommend decent A3 printer (I would settle for A4 but would prefer A3) that would give me good prints and wouldn't cost me arm and kidney?
TIA

10-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have had an Epson 2200 (13in. width) for several years and have been very pleased with it. The current model of this printer is the 2880, which uses a different inkset and gets great results and does excellent B&W printing. That said, you really have to think about what you want to print and in what volume. None of the printers - Epson, HP, Canon - are inexpensive and paper/ink costs can really mount up. You need to be able to color correct your monitor and there is a learning curve during which you eat up paper and ink.
My comments aren't meant to be discouraging;I'm about to get a bigger/newer printer and seem to be one of the few people on this forum that is seriously into doing his own printing. Photography, for me, ends being about holding a finished print in you hand.
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I have been using the Epson Stylus 1400 for the past few months, it's a dye based ink and the results are stunning with very good color and replication of the image on the monitor. As PeterAM said, a monitor calibrator has saved me many missed prints and I recommend the use of one highly. Mine is the hueyPro. As was stated, there is a learning curve and that also includes wading through the choices of paper and which one will enhance the image and the story behind it. I found that once you start printing on these dedicated papers it certainly opened the doors to further creativity and I might add, expense. That being said, there is nothing to compare to the satisfaction of holding that special picture that you captured, adjusted and tweaked in your digital darkroom and as the print button is activated you see your creation being transformed before your eyes.