Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
There is a grain of truth in this, likely several grains. However, a certain degree of "predictability" can also be an expression of style or at least consistency. Total stasis is the end of creativity, of course.
What you don't want is a program where most photographers who use it end up with a similar look to their images.

10-13-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What you don't want is a program where most photographers who use it end up with a similar look to their images.

Emphatically agreed. That's one of the things (among several) that I like about DxO PhotoLab, in fact. For all its auto-edits and presets (which can be largely disabled and/or tweaked), it encourages individual work on images to bring out their potential.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-13-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Clarity
10-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really don't want to deal with a post processing environment that "thinks" like I do. OOOhhhh the horror.
10-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just out! Ctein has tested Topaz Gigapixel AI and he likes it.

Ctein is an expert digital image printer who I hold in high regard.

10-17-2019, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All of the moves to AI will make many fans as they will like the results without any real work.

I am afraid things will all start to look alike.

I have several from the Topaz offering due to free upgrades and find them OK but I still prefer to touch the photos to my thinking of what I like and looks best. Half the fun of photography is getting an image that you like.
10-31-2019, 11:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote

I have several from the Topaz offering due to free upgrades and find them OK but I still prefer to touch the photos to my thinking of what I like and looks best.
I do not like Topaz AIs, for now, because it takes too long to process large images and the results are marginally better than the classic editing.
11-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I do not like Topaz AIs, for now, because it takes too long to process large images and the results are marginally better than the classic editing.
Topaz Gigapixel AI does two things: sharpen and reduce noise. It does it all in ONE STEP. In the past it would take most of us two steps to do noise reduction and sharpening. I find doing them together on my modern desktop saves time over the "classic way" doing it twice.

You say "takes too long to process". I say "get a newer/faster computer".

11-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote
I am afraid things will all start to look alike.
All look alike? Topaz Gigapixel AI reduces noise and sharpens. If all of my images start to look alike because they all have incredible sharpness and low noise, I say GREAT! And if everbody's photos are low noise and super sharp I say what's wrong with that?

Also, for those of you who feel that A.I. does the same thing all of the time, I say - haven't you heard of "layer masks"?
11-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Topaz Gigapixel AI does two things: sharpen and reduce noise. It does it all in ONE STEP. In the past it would take most of us two steps to do noise reduction and sharpening. I find doing them together on my modern desktop saves time over the "classic way" doing it twice.

You say "takes too long to process". I say "get a newer/faster computer".
Sorry. I didn't try GigapixelAI. I was referring to SharpenAI actually.
11-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gigapixel AI works great for up-scaling small crops. The noise reduction is sometimes useful, haven't tried sharpener. Topaz Detail is my most used plugin, what can't it do ? Like most Topaz plugins it works by recognizing small, medium and large detail and processing them separately (takes time)
11-02-2019, 02:16 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
Gigapixel AI works great for up-scaling small crops......
I have enough old pictures from the time when I had Pentax K100D Super, 6 megapixels. Are you suggesting that AIGigapixel could be used to increase the resolution of these photos?