Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freeware software for spot removal?

Hi there,
I've been using Silkypix software for processing my photos as mostly I don't need anything more advanced and in most cases, it is more than enough for me. However, version 3.0 which I got with my K-50 doesn't have a spot removal tool (cleaning brush). I see no reason to pay for Lightroom only to gain this one feature but ocasionally it would have been really handy.
Is there any freeware software sporting this feature?
I tried using Infranview (erase with predefined/picked color) but it doesn't work that well. Usually, my "spots" are dust particles on the sensor, visible at higher f-numbers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

10-20-2019, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Hi there,
I've been using Silkypix software for processing my photos as mostly I don't need anything more advanced and in most cases, it is more than enough for me. However, version 3.0 which I got with my K-50 doesn't have a spot removal tool (cleaning brush). I see no reason to pay for Lightroom only to gain this one feature but ocasionally it would have been really handy.
Is there any freeware software sporting this feature?
I tried using Infranview (erase with predefined/picked color) but it doesn't work that well. Usually, my "spots" are dust particles on the sensor, visible at higher f-numbers.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Later versions of Silkypix are FAR more advanced and have great spot removal tools. However they may be a bit pricey for you. Freeware solutions? GIMP for starters. There's little you cannot do with GIMP including removing spots except that you may be a bit limited by JPEG color models if that is what you are using for input.

As of v2.10 support for higher depth models is possible, but getting your RAW input into one of them may be problematic. I've never tried. Who knows? Maybe it's direct and easy.
10-20-2019, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gimp will do spot removal, as will darktable. Both are open source and both are quite capable. I used to use gimp pretty much only for this for a number of years. I now use Affinity photo in place of gimp. It’s inpainting brush is much easier to use than gimp’s cloning tool, among other great features. I got it for $40 on sale, a reasonable investment.
10-20-2019, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RAW files? Then Darktable...

features | darktable

10-20-2019, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
. As of v2.10 support for higher depth models is possible, but getting your RAW input into one of them may be problematic. I've never tried. Who knows? Maybe it's direct and easy.
RawTherapee is the developer I use, and it has a gimp plugin. So gimp calls RT for raw conversion, and RT passes a 16 bit tiff back to gimp. Pretty easy.
10-20-2019, 05:45 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Faststone image viewer has a clone and heal function works similar to spot remover and its free.
10-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems that there are quite a few options - thank you, everyone, for fast responses!

10-20-2019, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
RAW files? Then Darktable...

features | darktable
Darktable works with JPEGs as well, and would be my recommendation.

Darktable is very well featured in general, and not just when considering it's free!
10-22-2019, 03:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I gave the Darktable a try - spot removal works fine
I'm definitely not in a mood for learning how to use totaly new software, but some of the Darktable feauters look quite useful and tempting... And I like the "star" marking system, which is not present in my SilkyPix. I think I need to find some time to spend with Darktable.

Cheers,
Chris
10-22-2019, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm definitely not in a mood for learning how to use totaly new software, but some of the Darktable feauters look quite useful and tempting... And I like the "star" marking system, which is not present in my SilkyPix. I think I need to find some time to spend with Darktable.

Cheers,
Chris

Darktable is definitely worth Spending some time on. There's plenty of tutorials on it as well as a online manual. Have Fun!
-Al
10-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

darktable is really good stuff. The user manual on the website is pretty good, and there are a number of great video tutorials on YouTube (Harry Durgin is one, and there's another whose name escapes me at the moment--Robert Hutton mabye?). Two of my favorite features are (1) masking for every module and (2) the ability to have multiple instances of the same module. Some of the modules themselves are very powerful and useful. Definitely worth getting to know this software.
10-22-2019, 05:10 AM   #12

I would recommend darktable as well; I used it almost exclusively in the past before my transition to DxO.
10-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Cheers,
Chris
Might as well stop by the Darktable Users Coterie thread sometime, if you have any questions or want to exchange tips...
10-22-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again, I think I have started I processed my first pic today in Darktable, took me 5x longer than normally but I like it
Certainly, I'll check the recommended tutorials as well as the forum thread.
Cheers!
10-22-2019, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Faststone image viewer has a clone and heal function works similar to spot remover and its free.
Agreed. I've used Faststone for years, and really like all it does!