Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
I have received a mail from Phase One with a discount If I upgrade now. Of course, when I open C1 I get a pop out window with the same announcement.
As I bought C1 v12 some time ago, I have no free upgrade, just a 'personal' discount if I reserve the upgrade to C1 v20. Not sure what to do, I have no idea about the new features on 2020. PhaseOne should give some clues about what to expect, I have no idea when this offer expires too. I'm quite happy with the present version, also I was thinking about buying some film styles (1styles or lutify), I need to be sure that I invest the money in the best possible way.
You could join the beta, that should tell you some of what's coming:
After 12 is 20: Capture One beta starts – breakfastographer

10-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
You could join the beta, that should tell you some of what's coming:After 12 is 20: Capture One beta starts – breakfastographer
Thanks, I joined!
10-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm rather sure that my support feedback was responded to by acknowledging a bug. I could check, if it helped.

In my experience 19 times out of 20 I get a very good or great response. The few other times, the responses are not helpful. It just depends who picks up your ticket.

I don't think beta phases are the right time to provide such feedback.

I suspect that they classify the issue as "missing functionality" rather than "a bug". I suspect that during the beta phase, all hands are on deck to fix real bugs, i.e., make sure that the official release will not cause any trouble.

I believe providing the feedback through the regular support channel outside of a beta phase, has more chances to receive a proper response.
Interesting thoughts, but as I have a few decades experience in software development support - providing "easy fixes" are what Beta's are all about. To add to this little point, I have requested a better follow on to Pentax Metadata issues for over five years outside of the Beta process and in the Beta process. The points are closed with no response other than the one I cited before. They obviously don't see it as missing functionality because they don't do anything about it. There have been a few times that the response has been "we will elevate this to the development team". Well, it appears the development team has a round file labeled Pentax.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 10:32 PM ----------

And I suspect they've been encouraged to wait for Ricoh knocking on their door by the recent Fujifilm and Sony deals. Not unrealistic, either, as Silkypix doesn't seem to be going anywhere, sad as that is to see!
I did a spit take on this comment.

Ricoh calling Phase One, is this a joke? Phase One has a working relationship with Sony (who supplies their newest sensors) and Fuji who has a MF digital camera/system that could be seen as an introduction to MF for the masses. Pentax/Ricoh should have "reached out" years ago as supporting smaller sensors to MF at a lower price point and to have been willing to work with Phase One. I think that time has long passed.

Last edited by PDL; 10-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.
10-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Ricoh calling Phase One, is this a joke? Phase One has a working relationship with Sony (who supplies their newest sensors) and Fuji who has a MF digital camera/system that could be seen as an introduction to MF for the masses. Pentax/Ricoh should have "reached out" years ago as supporting smaller sensors to MF at a lower price point and to have been willing to work with Phase One. I think that time has long passed.
That seems like an emotional argument. If financial benefits can be established for both sides, the deal will go ahead. Phase One knows that cheaper competitors are creeping up the pipes, and they will probably take an increasingly close look at their software business, as I've said before, in a fairly detailed argument:
Phase One to focus more on software? – breakfastographer

10-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

That seems like an emotional argument. If financial benefits can be established for both sides, the deal will go ahead. Phase One knows that cheaper competitors are creeping up the pipes, and they will probably take an increasingly close look at their software business, as I've said before, in a fairly detailed argument:
Phase One to focus more on software? – breakfastographer
No, it is not an emotional argument - it is based on my experience getting zero, nada, zilch in response from Pentax (back in the day when they were truly Pentax), Hoya, Ricoh and Phase One. Even if you look at the lenses that Capture One supports - it is abysmal. And the lenses listed do not even reflect a current selection. Why would Capture One "suddenly change their mind". Why would Ricoh, with its well known inability to communicate in a substantial way with its customers, approach a company who has explicitly stated that it does not and will not support one of its products.

I will repeat my self here, but I use Capture One almost exclusively for my post processing, so it is not like I do not understand how to use the software or think that some other brand is "better". I work around the limitations I encounter, it is too bad that the majority of the limitations I find are based on the brand of bodies/lenses I use. My wish is that Phase One purchase Pentax from Ricoh which would give Phase One a good IBIS, Pixel Shift and a lower end camera/lens environment (if 10K per 645 is "low end") along with the back history of lenses, coatings and other technologies that Phase One could use to their advantage.

Last edited by PDL; 01-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.
10-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're an existing C1 user you can get an additional 10% discount by using the code: OCT-AF-QUW at check out. in the US that makes the upgrade cost $107.00
10-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #37
Forum Member

My wish is that Phase One purchase Pentax from Ricoh which would give Phase One a good IBIS, Pixel Shift and a lower end camera/lens environment (if 10K per 645 is "low end") along with the back history of lenses, coatings and other technologies that Phase One could use to their advantage.
10k is low end (budget-wise) compared to their own camera, and you make a good point about Phase One purchasing Pentax. I don’t understand how Phase One can sell enough 60k cameras to be profitable (maybe Capture One is where they make their money?) and it seems like the right owner could do a lot with Pentax.

10-30-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #38
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
10k is low end (budget-wise) compared to their own camera, and you make a good point about Phase One purchasing Pentax. I don’t understand how Phase One can sell enough 60k cameras to be profitable (maybe Capture One is where they make their money?) and it seems like the right owner could do a lot with Pentax.
Their XF camera is only one of different bodies they sell. Phase One is a huge player in the digitalization of Cultural Heritage iXG Camera System | Phase One and Industrial Solutions Phase One Industrial. They have specific customized versions of Capture One for each of these areas. General photography is not the only market place they inhabit.

The camera platforms that Cultural Heritage and Industrial Solutions use are just as expensive, if not more, than their XF and XT lines. In the Cultural Heritage they partner with another group for digitizing documents using a special booth along with the CH version of Capture One. In their Industrial Solutions world, they will sell you two bodies, one "normal" light and one near infrared, along with the portable server to gather the data. They have a special version of Capture One for this function too.

They are more than a one trick pony using their XF - XT bodies and lenses. Add into this, they have a after market "recycle/preowned" program for their cameras. I am just disappointed that they can not sit down and spend a few weeks getting the metadata out of Pentax images. It can't be that hard.
11-03-2019, 03:58 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It can't be that hard.
Any programmer worth their salt could get this done in a very short amount of time.
I'm assuming that routines for reading other parts from other maker's notes are already available, so the fix for Pentax would be pretty much trivial. Proper QC would probably take longer than the actual implementation.
12-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What's New in Capture One Pro 20?
12-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For those who were looking for official support for the K-1 II by Capture One Pro, Version 20 now supports the K-1 II. I'd be cautious about expecting wonders from the added support (perhaps it is amazing, I don't know, I'd just be cautious), but at least the strange situation of the latest Pentax FF camera not being supported has now been rectified.