Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #16

Original Poster
Des and 7.62lew, great shots and processing, thanks very much for sharing. And thanks Des for the detailed explanation and link.

I downloaded the Essentials version with Nik plugins. Here are some first impressions after editing a couple of images.

- I already have some experience with the free Google versions of Nik. While I didn't try out all of the DxO versions, I get the impression that not much has changed.
- The Nik integration simply uses DxO as a launcher for the Nik programs. It's not a non-destructive use of Nik as I had hoped. This is kinda weird, since you might want to use the Nik presharpening and denoise early in your editing, which means exporting and then editing the Nik export in DxO again. Very odd.
- The DxO standard preset really oversaturates the reds in my opinion. Neutral is better.
- DxO's preset and camera/lens profile would save me about 5 minutes of work per photo making the technical corrections I now do by hand in RawTherapee (demosaic, denoise, lens correction, capture sharpening, rough exposure/tone curve). I could probably close that gap by making some automatic processing profiles for Raw Therapee (on my to-do list).
- DxO's standard noise reduction (not prime) and Raw Therapee's noise reduction are very comparable in quality up to ISO 3200 (the highest I generally go with my K-50). However, Raw Therapee is more customizable (can adjust luma noise reduction vs. tone). Maybe DxO does that automatically without user intervention. In my high ISO test shot, DxO smeared some detail that I was able to preserve in RT, but only really visible at near 100%.
- In the images I processed, DxO's camera/lens profiles offered no significant advantage over Raw Therapee in terms of results
- DxO's local edits (U-point, heal) are fantastic. Well done! Nothing like this in Raw Therapee yet.
- DxO is missing a bunch of stuff that Raw Therapee has that I use (so far, I noticed: perspective correction needs an addon--sold separately; B&W doesn't have the ability to simulate colored filters--BOOOO!; dynamic range compression; tone mapping; local contrast; flat field & dark frame; user-selectable demosaic methods; dehaze)

So far, I'd say you can't go wrong with DxO, it's pretty slick. I'm not sure if it has enough value for me over my current setup to make the jump. But I have 29 more days to play.

Thanks everybody!

10-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the current version of DXO support a history log of edits like Lightroom does? My old version 11 doesn't seem to. Thanks
10-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Does the current version of DXO support a history log of edits like Lightroom does? My old version 11 doesn't seem to. Thanks
I did not see one. That should have made my list in my previous post. Just a simple undo like you are used to from MS Office or whatever.

---------- Post added 10-27-19 at 02:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I did not see one. That should have made my list in my previous post. Just a simple undo like you are used to from MS Office or whatever.
10-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks - that's all I saw too, the simple undo. I really like have a history of edits. For me, it's one of those simple things I've really come to insist on, but I realize many don't seem to mind loosing it.

10-29-2019, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been trying out DxO PL2 and moving more of my processing from LR to Dxo. I also upgraded to the newest PL3 . It works great on my K-1 and almost all my lenses. but it won't work for me on my images from the Q7 since it doesn't have any support for the Q7.

I really like the Prime NR and the Clearview dehaze feature. I haven't tried out the new HSL or repair tools yet. The new opacity on the local adjustments is pretty cool.
10-29-2019, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
I downloaded the Essentials version with Nik plugins.
I would not recommend the Essentials version. It misses some of the key features.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
- DxO is missing a bunch of stuff that Raw Therapee has that I use (so far, I noticed: perspective correction needs an addon--sold separately; B&W doesn't have the ability to simulate colored filters--BOOOO!; dynamic range compression; tone mapping; local contrast; flat field & dark frame; user-selectable demosaic methods; dehaze)
- The ViewPoint add-on provides very good perspective correction. Well worth it for anyone using ultra-wide lenses
- ClearView Plus provides outstanding dehaze. (One of the major reasons to get the Elite edition)
- I use the Selective tones and Tone curve features for tone mapping. What am I missing?
- Local contrast adjustments can be done with the Local adjustments feature.
Apart from a dabble with Silkypix and DCSU, I've used DxO pretty much exclusively for my RAW conversions, so I'm not in a position to make comparisons. Nor do I claim to be an advanced user. (Intermediate is probably the level.) No doubt there is much that could be improved. I just don't want people to think the PL is missing basic features like these.

Last edited by Des; 10-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
10-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
- The ViewPoint add-on provides very good perspective correction. Well worth it for anyone using ultra-wide lenses
As someone having no experience with any perspective correction software at all, would you be so kind to briefly describe what features make the purchase of ViewPoint "worth it"? I read that there's an automatic detection for likely corrections, how well does that work? I've tried to correct perspetive before with the basic perspective correction tool in GIMP, but it's a constant trial and error for me trying to move one corner of the rectangle this way and the other one that way... is it easier to get buildings straight with ViewPoint?

- ClearView provides outstanding dehaze. (One of the major reasons to get the Elite edition)
And I thought the Prime noise reduction would be the killer feature of the Elite version. Certainly depends how much of one's pictures are landscapes that would profit from this feature, doesn't it?
10-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
As someone having no experience with any perspective correction software at all, would you be so kind to briefly describe what features make the purchase of ViewPoint "worth it"?
In PL1, perspective correction was included. In PL2 and PL3, it's only available with the ViewPoint plugin installed. I didn't notice the change because I already had ViewPoint. They should have kept at least some of these corrections (e.g. horizon correction) in Essentials.

Horizon adjustment is the one I use the most. It's very simple: select the tool, which displays a blue line with an adjustment point at each end; position the line over the horizon (or other horizontal line that you want to be level) and drag the adjustment points to line it up with the horizon in the image, then click Preview. The image will be tilted so that the line is now level. You can set it to autocrop, so that image is cropped appropriately. If it's correct, click Apply. For trees and buildings, the straightening tool is really good. I use volume deformation correction sometimes.
More about ViewPoint here: DxO Viewpoint 3 review - MartijnKort-Photography For shooting human structures with a wide angle, it's very useful.

I read that there's an automatic detection for likely corrections, how well does that work?
I use auto horizon correction sometimes, but it's hit-and-miss.
Is it easier to get buildings straight with ViewPoint?
Yes. Select the parallel lines tool, position the lines on each side of the building and click the wand button. Depending on the extent of the correction, you might have to crop to a greater or lesser degree.
And I thought the Prime noise reduction would be the killer feature of the Elite version.
The full comparison is here: What are the differences between the two editions of DxO PhotoLab 3? ? Customer Support For me, ClearView Plus and PRIME NR are the two standouts.
Certainly depends how much of one's pictures are landscapes that would profit from this feature, doesn't it?
Yes, that's true.

DxO promote it as a tool for correcting mist and haze:
Correcting haze with DxO ClearView - DxO
But even for landscapes it's more versatile than that. For example, it's great for producing more dramatic cloudscapes (apply with the Graduated Filter tool in Local adjustments).

Maybe this is not how you are meant to use it, but I also like ClearView as a tool for selective improvement of a particular subject, using Local Adjustments. I often use it like this for wildlife: use a mask or control point to select the subject and apply some ClearView from the palette. I like the effect better than just using microcontrast or sharpening adjustments. Here's a quick-and-dirty example. First image, no ClearView, no local adjustments. Second image: selected the roo with Auto mask, applied ClearView +25, Sharpness +9, Microcontrast +9. No other changes.

(You'll notice that CV has darkened the subject. It often has this effect. Sometimes I adjust exposure on the selected area to offset this.)

Last edited by Des; 10-29-2019 at 09:38 PM.
10-30-2019, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Thank you very much for the detailed response!

In PL1, perspective correction was included. [...] Horizon adjustment is the one I use the most.
Oh yeah, that sounds like the one that is in DxO Optics Pro 11. It's a pity they took it out, but I think I could change the horizon in FastStone. Getting buildings straight is a different beast altogether though.. it's 49€ atm. I don't think it will get cheaper than that in the near future, but it's still a lot for so relatively little

Select the parallel lines tool, position the lines on each side of the building and click the wand button.
Is it possible to place more than two lines, so that when there is more than one building in the frame, all of them can be straightened at once or will (should?) using two lines on one building do the trick for the others already?

Maybe this is not how you are meant to use it, but I also like ClearView as a tool for selective improvement of a particular subject, using Local Adjustments.
Will definitely keep that option in mind when I have it.
10-30-2019, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #25
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read that there's an automatic detection for likely corrections, how well does that work?
I photograph a lot of buildings. I find that the automatic correction of verticals and horizontals (where applicable) quite sufficient about 75-80% of the time with no further work required.

s it possible to place more than two lines, so that when there is more than one building in the frame, all of them can be straightened at once or will (should?) using two lines on one building do the trick for the others already?
Where more than one building is involved, the left vertical line is attached to the left side of the leftmost building in the photograph and the right vertical line is attached to the right side of the rightmost building. All the buildings in the photograph are then corrected.

The ViewPoint software was an immediate purchase for me the moment I saw what it could do, even before I purchased DxO OpticsPro. I used it as a plugin with Lightroom. It can even be used a a standalone program on jpegs and tiffs. I have found no other software to be as easy to use for perspective correction.
11-02-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
Just to follow up:

I happened to notice (and in case anyone else downloads a trial, this may be important to you) that the PhotoLab that comes with the Nik Collection is Version 2, not Version 3. Don't know if DxO is going to change that or not. Just be aware.

So, I uninstalled that and downloaded the Elite version. The ClearView is very good. Very good. As is the prime NR. I could not match those results in my current raw developer, and it took me a lot of work to get close. So I ended up buying a license.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
11-02-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I downloaded the free trial, not that I'm looking to change programs but it never hurts to see what is out there. Especially when your getting results like the ones above.
11-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #28
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does DXO Photo Lab have the "Hot Folder" feature?
11-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Does DXO Photo Lab have the "Hot Folder" feature?
What is a hot folder?
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #30
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is a hot folder?
It's used for tethered shooting. The app watches a folder on the computer for new photos. If a new photo comes in, it displays it and can instantly apply adjustments like crop etc.