Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
It's used for tethered shooting. The app watches a folder on the computer for new photos. If a new photo comes in, it displays it and can instantly apply adjustments like crop etc.
Thank you, I hadn't heard that term before.

11-20-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #32

I have been using DxO for 6-7 years (since DxO Optics Pro 7) and I really like it. Now I have Lab 3 + Nik Collection 2. Specially in Lab 3 I like the HSL color wheel - You can easily visualize the changes you are about to make. This is important to me because I take lot of portraits. The local edit enhancements are nice too. And what also important to me - no subscription like Adobe...
11-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know this is a little digression, but since it had been discussed in this thread... I received an email today regarding the release of Nik 2.3 (which I take as an update on Nik 2). I had purchased Nik 1 when DxO released it to support the company and Nik software, which Google had been abandoning.

In Nik 2.3, I notice hints that the optical corrections that were Viewpoint may now be embedded in Nik (or maybe the Photolab essentials edition). I have ViewPoint, so I should check it out.

However, I've been a user of Photolab and its predecessor in the Elite form. I'm not sure whether the Nik suite interfaces well with the Elite version of the software. I've not hurried to update to Nik 2 nor have I hurried to PL 3 (although I'll be doing that shortly). On paper, it hadn't look like there was much to making the upgrades, but a lot of good experiences here and on other forums with PL 3.
11-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I know this is a little digression, but since it had been discussed in this thread... I received an email today regarding the release of Nik 2.3 (which I take as an update on Nik 2). I had purchased Nik 1 when DxO released it to support the company and Nik software, which Google had been abandoning.

In Nik 2.3, I notice hints that the optical corrections that were Viewpoint may now be embedded in Nik (or maybe the Photolab essentials edition). I have ViewPoint, so I should check it out.

However, I've been a user of Photolab and its predecessor in the Elite form. I'm not sure whether the Nik suite interfaces well with the Elite version of the software. I've not hurried to update to Nik 2 nor have I hurried to PL 3 (although I'll be doing that shortly). On paper, it hadn't look like there was much to making the upgrades, but a lot of good experiences here and on other forums with PL 3.
I tried the NIK collection trial (which comes with the basic PL2) but actually bought a license for PL3 without NIK (since I have the Google versions already, and there didn't seem to be much difference between them). When I tried NIK from PL2 during the trial, it just exported the image to a standalone version of the NIK plugin. So there was really no significant integration as far as I could tell. With PL3, I can do the same thing with the Google NIK, just use the open with external program command. Did the same thing.

11-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sale ends in 2 (2.5?) days. Will purchase a license now, but wait for Black Friday if I can save a bit on new hardware before activating. And who knows, perhaps we get an even better offer in a week?
11-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
So there was really no significant integration as far as I could tell. With PL3, I can do the same thing with the Google NIK, just use the open with external program command. Did the same thing.
Just wait 6 months for PL4 to emerge (for another $99), with probably marginally less clumsy Nik integration.

DxO still disappoint me, version after version, with simple things like their lack of support for basic metadata editing. The best PL can currently do is write/modify rating, artist, & copyright in the image EXIF for you, and record rating as an XMP field, but (except for rating, perhaps) the edits are only possible *one image at a time*, no persistent edits. No IPTC editing support AT ALL either.
11-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just wait 6 months for PL4 to emerge (for another $99), with probably marginally less clumsy Nik integration.

DxO still disappoint me, version after version, with simple things like their lack of support for basic metadata editing. The best PL can currently do is write/modify rating, artist, & copyright in the image EXIF for you, and record rating as an XMP field, but (except for rating, perhaps) the edits are only possible *one image at a time*, no persistent edits. No IPTC editing support AT ALL either.
DxO still disappoint me, version after version, with simple things like their lack of support for basic metadata editing.
I hear what you're saying, you're totally right. I decided a while back to split photo management and editing. Costs a little more, but I like tools that do one thing well, rather than try to do everything just OK.

11-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I guess I could understand, but DxO is not meant to be a DAM. Their focus is on the development side with enough of a library to do culling. As for edits being one image at a time, you can copy and paste edits from image to image or make a preset that you can quickly apply to a lot of images. It isn't quite like LR, but it definitely isn't as restrictive as "one at a time".

I get that LR essentially does DAM and cataloging, but the price was that once you went into that, it was difficult to get out of (especially the catalog side without having to deal with compatability to some extent). Thankfully, I had always managed my catalogs in an independent software, mostly because I was trying to tag files (IPTC and XMP) prior to having RAW capabilities. I stuck with that software because even when I did get raw, I started with the Pentax software, Silkypix Pro, and RawTherapee. Eventually, I got LR on an education license and used it until they went subscription. But for my use LR was almost strictly a developer. The catalog was only used for ratings and color labels (to track workflow).

DxO is basically a developer, and I am glad they brought in enough support to change ratings and labels, but my separate DAM still handles my XMP/IPTC tags.

I do hope they improve the NIK integration. Really, with the Elite version of PL, the NIK should just be built right in. Most of the Nik features have redundancy with features in PL, just different implementation. For example, I can create a black in white in DxO or I can export to Silver Efex, but why not just build in Silver Efex into PL (Elite). And then on the noise removal, I'm not sure I would ever export to Nik when the Prime noise reduction is so fantastic.

I don't know though. The advantage to Nik separately is that others can use it with other software, but we'll see.
11-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got an email that everything is 50% off until the 2nd of december. Although I did kind of expect something like this (I waited until the last day of the opening sale with my purchase and haven't activated the code yet), it's kind of a bummer. I opened a ticket asking if they can just refund the price difference or if the recent order has to be cancelled completely (they state that it's possible to return their software for 14 days if the keys have not been activated yet). I hope I'll get an answer before the Black Friday sale ends...

I might just get ViewPoint if they refund the price difference...
11-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I just got an email that everything is 50% off until the 2nd of december. Although I did kind of expect something like this (I waited until the last day of the opening sale with my purchase and haven't activated the code yet), it's kind of a bummer. I opened a ticket asking if they can just refund the price difference or if the recent order has to be cancelled completely (they state that it's possible to return their software for 14 days if the keys have not been activated yet). I hope I'll get an answer before the Black Friday sale ends...

I might just get ViewPoint if they refund the price difference...
I missed the sale many years ago and asked and they were kind enough to allow me to buy it at the sale price.
11-28-2019, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I missed the sale many years ago and asked and they were kind enough to allow me to buy it at the sale price.
It seems like they were not able or willing to go the easiest way of refunding just the price difference. Instead I was offered the price difference in instore discount, which would not be usable in combination with any other promotion or discount. Perhaps they hadn't recognized that my purchase was still inside their 14 day refund window.
But they processed my refund very quickly and so I can use the money I used before to get just PhotoLab 3, to also get the now also discounted ViewPoint
11-28-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems like they were not able or willing to go the easiest way of refunding just the price difference. Instead I was offered the price difference in instore discount, which would not be usable in combination with any other promotion or discount. Perhaps they hadn't recognized that my purchase was still inside their 14 day refund window.
But they processed my refund very quickly and so I can use the money I used before to get just PhotoLab 3, to also get the now also discounted ViewPoint
Glad you were able to find a way.
11-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Black Friday sale is running until 2Dec. About 50% off so I just upgraded to PL3.

Last edited by simple1; 11-28-2019 at 07:08 AM.
11-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Black Friday sale is running until 12Dec.
I'm seeing the 2nd of December as end date for the sale.
11-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm seeing the 2nd of December as end date for the sale.
Yep - thanks. Just correct my typo.