Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

DxO Sale and a question

1. FYI - I happened to notice that DxO is out with a new version with a few new features and is currently on sale.
2. Question for current DxO users - one of the stand-out features they advertise is their large number of camera and lens profiles. I'm wondering if these make a big difference when it comes to making up for the shortcomings of various lenses. For instance, I imagine it covers the basics like distortion, CA, vingnetting, etc. But what about the right amount of sharpening? Color adjustment? Anything else?

In my current developer (Raw Therapee) some of this is done by hand, while some can be done by lensfun or Adobe LCP files. Lensfun is community-contributed, so quality may vary.

I'm definitely going to take advantage of the trial period, but I'm wondering if anybody else can tell me if they noticed a huge benefit to DxO's lens/body database over more standard tools.

Thanks in advance!

10-26-2019, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #2

Personally I don't think correction profiles are worth the cost of an entire program. For my photos, I don't ever use any distortion or vignette correction, and only occasionally do I use RT's automatic CA correction, which is already excellent and probably better than any profile. Now if it's really important for you to have distortion and vignette-free photos, I'd say just use whatever profile you can freely get your hands on, and if that's not good enough maybe try making your own profile. All other kinds of adjustments are better left to automatic tools and/or tweaked by hand, since profiles can't really adapt to the more dynamic aspects of photos, and what would be the point of shooting Raw if the entirety of processing is just a pre-made profile?
10-26-2019, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My post processing is very simple with dxo. I let it work and make small adjustments. I love it. I am not using the latest version yet.
10-26-2019, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
For my photos, I don't ever use any distortion or vignette correction
Distortion correction is pretty much essential with most zoom lenses, especially those covering wide-to-normal or wide-to-tele ranges. The wide end almost always exhibits pronounced barrel distortion, while the tele end often has at least some pin-cushion distortion (though not necessarily bad enough to need correction)...

10-26-2019, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please see my posting #8 for an idea of what the DxO lens profiles can do:

DA 18-135mm after DxO Treatment - PentaxForums.com

Added: Also see my posting #11 in the same thread. I am now working in PhotoLab 3. My workflow is from Lightroom to DxO and back to Lightroom; and I am now doing more work in the DxO software than I used to.

Last edited by cpk; 10-26-2019 at 04:07 PM.
10-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
But what about the right amount of sharpening? Color adjustment?
I don't use DxO , but with the raw converters I do use* I would not use a pre-set for color adjustment and certainly not for sharpening.

I always select the profile to apply distortion and 50% of the time vignetting. But colour adjustments are based on what I want to get out of the image and often selective, so no profile thank you.

Sharpening..... I use the default raw input sharpening for all my images, but output sharpening will depend on output, so I want to be in charge of that.

* Silkypix DS Pro
Adobe Camera Raw
10-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Personally I don't think correction profiles are worth the cost of an entire program.
what would be the point of shooting Raw if the entirety of processing is just a pre-made profile?
Well, you're right about it not being worth the cost of the entire program but there are other nice things it does that I'm interested in. And I'm not looking for fully automatic processing (otherwise I'd just shoot jpg). The potential benefit is I spend more time doing creative editing and less time tweaking sliders for technical correction (I realize there's some overlap here).

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Distortion correction is pretty much essential with most zoom lenses, especially those covering wide-to-normal or wide-to-tele ranges.
Yes, I had my 18-135 in mind here especially. It's one thing to come up with my own preset for a prime, quite another do to so for as complex a zoom as this one. The ones I have in RT are a little suspect because there is a BIG difference between the Lensfun correction and the Adobe lens profile. I don't know which is right (is the same one the best across the whole zoom range even?), and I'd rather not spend hours doing lens tests to figure it out if I don't have to.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Please see my posting #8 for an idea of what the DxO lens profiles can do: DA 18-135mm after DxO Treatment - PentaxForums.com
This was really helpful, thanks (especially since the test was done on the same lens that is my main workhorse).

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use the default raw input sharpening for all my images
This is what I had in mind--first stage sharpening, tailored to the lens in use (I suspect the 18-135 would need more than the 35 ltd).
10-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The potential benefit is I spend more time doing creative editing and less time tweaking sliders for technical correction
You should be able to create your own presets within DxO that present you with your most common starting points for raw conversion....then tweak from that.

10-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be interested in hearing from any upgraders, too. I use DxO a bit. It seems especially good at clearing up hazy shots from airplane windows! And, I do use and like the lens profiles for Pentax.
10-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used dxo for a about 3 years and i'm a fan. It has profiles for all of my modern lenses. And the default processing gets me pretty close to where I want to be, for the most part, including the lens corrections. And its pretty easy to work with. The 30 day free trial is how they hooked me. I am on photolab 2 at the present. Most of what is on my flickr page is dxo processed. 7.62lew | Flickr
10-26-2019, 09:04 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been using DxO for 5 years (DxO Optics Pro and then its successor, PhotoLab) and I really like it. I have just upgraded to PL3

Question for current DxO users - one of the stand-out features they advertise is their large number of camera and lens profiles. I'm wondering if these make a big difference when it comes to making up for the shortcomings of various lenses. For instance, I imagine it covers the basics like distortion, CA, vingnetting, etc. But what about the right amount of sharpening? Color adjustment? Anything else?
They work very well IMO. This is what DxO says about the automatic corrections (referring to DxO Optics Pro, but it's the same with PL):
"When you open a photo in DxO OpticsPro, the software recognizes the type of equipment you used by reading the image metadata. The associated DxO Optics Module will then automatically correct vignetting, distortion, and chromatic aberration, and will also optimize lens sharpness by reinforcing the sharpness as well as making it more homogenous — that is, by ensuring that there is little or no difference between the sharpness in the center and that of the edges of the image."
More here: Correcting lenses without DxO Optics Module - DxO

The only annoyance for me is that there is no profile for the DA 55-300 PLM. (Just about all the other DA, DA-L and DFA lenses are covered, plus the FA Ltds and a handful of other FA lenses. Plus a number of common third-party lenses.) So I turn on in-camera CA correction, distortion correction, etc for the PLM and have to remember to turn them off for other lenses.

I agree with Mike (@BigMackCam) about the value of corrections for lenses with a lot of distortion.

For ultrawide lenses, the DxO ViewPoint plugin has been a very worthwhile addon.

I had my 18-135 in mind here especially.
DxO works very well with images from this lens. I use my own presets (which apply the DxO lens corrections) and tweak from there. Examples with the 18-135 processed in DxO:

I guess many of its features are similar to those in other programs. But DxO's ClearView (clarity/dehaze) and PRIME noise reduction (only included in the Elite edition) are said to be standouts. I'd say from my own experience that they are excellent. I find the local adjustments tools easy to use and effective too.

DxO offers emulations of the renderings from various classic films and from a range of digital bodies. If you buy the FilmPack plugin you get a lot more. Many are gimmicky but they are sometimes a handy start for varying the processing. After trying a few, I quite like the colour profile which is said to emulate the Pentax K10D. Nowhere near as sophisticated as Mike's amazing LR profile (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/61-post-processing-articles/350673-get-c...lightroom.html) but I now use it for most of my images. It improves the red tones in particular. If you were using multiple cameras and systems, these renderings could be a way to get a more common look across images from different cameras.

There isn't nearly as much info on the web about using DxO as there is about LR or other programs, but the webinars and tutorials on the DxO web site are very good. The ones on PL2 are equally applicable to PL3. This one is a good start:

Last edited by Des; 10-27-2019 at 01:26 PM.
10-27-2019, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #12

Nice shots and processing Des! Thanks for posting the video link.
10-27-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, nice shots indeed. Certainly merits a closer look.
10-27-2019, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love DX0, currently using PL2 and trying PL3 and Nik collection + essensials PL.
One thing I never enjoyed with taking photos was the processing afterwards, DXO will do its thing and for pictures I like I adjust a few things, easy to export to Flicr etc. Will adjust jpeg and raw differently.
I dont see a big difference between 2 and 3, must be, but not enough to make me want to buy it. The DXO that comes with Nik collection is not so good, no clearview for example. But the NIK tab appears on the bottom of PL2 amd 3 in case you buy it.
For me I use Canon, Olympus and Pentax the program adjust all really well leaving me more time to take photos and not PP for hours.
10-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm currently on DxO Optics Pro 11 that was given away for free a few years ago, I really like it, and the local adjustments ("U-Point technology", implemented after the acquisition of the NIK collection) are making the purchase of Photolab very interesting to me, and ClearView and the Prime noise reduction are what is making me want to get the "Elite" version of the program.

Do you think one could expect them to sell PL 2 Elite for a better price on black friday than what PL 3 Elite is currently selling for or will it not get better than this for quite some time? Well that's quite a stupid question, how should anybody know :D
It's still only about a year's worth of the Lightroom subscription price and I'll certainly be using it for quite longer than that. If only they included ViewPoint with it, it would really be a no-brainer for me. Now I guess I'll be hesitating until the end of the introductory sale and buy it then.