Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting a Pentax camera to read a non Pentax taken Jpg?

I'm not sure where this post should sit so I am posting it here. I struggled for a good subject line so please let me explain.

I recently purchased some 'posing cards'. They are 50+ digital jpg files of hand drawn poses to suggest to couples on their wedding days etc. The idea is that showing the couple the kind of shot that we'll aim to take will help them execute that better rather than pure direction from a photographer. This in addition to also letting them see the various poses and choose the ones/styles they like the most... I think its a neat idea.
Now you could print them and laminate etc, but the purpose was to have the jpgs on camera so you can hit the playback button and navigate to the different poses/files.

My problem is I can't get my K-1 to read them at all on the SD card.

My process was;

SD Card inside camera>Format Card>Eject newly formatted Card from camera>put into PC SD card slot>Navigate to card and dump/copy the folder of images (folder titled 'Poses') to either root of card or inside 'DCIM'

Neither works.

I thought perhaps taking a single shot might help get the ball rolling, no joy.

As I type this I now wonder if I need to take a photo and then without a folder just dump the jpgs in the newly created folder that the camera has made (100_010 etc)... dunno.

I basically thought I could use the camera as a generic jpg viewer of sorts, seems that I am way off the ball on this one. Could Metadata manipulation of the Jpgs somehow trick the camera? Take the Jpgs off to DCU5, slight edit and export them, would that trick the camera into being nice with them?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

BB

10-27-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Graft in the Pentax EXIF.

Steve
10-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've tried this too for attempting to pre-load images from Google Maps of cities/trails/mountains that I'm visiting. But have not had any luck. The weird part is that the K-1 will read the images from a Canon point-n-shoot so it's no like it blocks non-Pentax files.

Steve's EXIF idea sounds interesting although it may need to be modified to include the pixel dimensions of the JPG file.

Fall-back option #2 is point your camera at your computer monitor and shoot a picture of each picture. You might need to defocus slightly to avoid aliasing but with the smallest JPEG setting, and the tiny screen of the camera, it should be good enough.

P.S. I'd think that putting these images on a phone or tablet would be better. The screen would be bigger, the couple could swipe through the options (without you explaining which camera buttons do next/previous), and the camera and couple can stay in their respective locations.
10-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Can you expand on this? I'm not following at all

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 02:22 PM ----------

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I've tried this too for attempting to pre-load images from Google Maps of cities/trails/mountains that I'm visiting. But have not had any luck. The weird part is that the K-1 will read the images from a Canon point-n-shoot so it's no like it blocks non-Pentax files.

Steve's EXIF idea sounds interesting although it may need to be modified to include the pixel dimensions of the JPG file.

Fall-back option #2 is point your camera at your computer monitor and shoot a picture of each picture. You might need to defocus slightly to avoid aliasing but with the smallest JPEG setting, and the tiny screen of the camera, it should be good enough.

P.S. I'd think that putting these images on a phone or tablet would be better. The screen would be bigger, the couple could swipe through the options (without you explaining which camera buttons do next/previous), and the camera and couple can stay in their respective locations.
That's what I did, for a few shots at least. Even the guide to the posing digital files suggested to do the same, so obviously there is a bit of a road block across all brands with 'seeing' 'normal' jpgs. I mean these are just very low file size low res jpgs, nothing at all that would stress the capability of the camera.

I thought about doing the phone thing but it wasn't really a thing I have on my person during a shoot easily, or all the time, sometimes its in my bag etc.

10-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #5

Display the pictures on you computer monitor and photograph them with your K-1. They'll be down sampled for the K-1 LCD so any loss of resolution won't matter.
10-28-2019, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can you expand on this? I'm not following at all
I think that was a reference to using ExifTool which can do that. The exact command you want can be found here, but instead of reading through that thread it is:
exiftool -TagsFromFile srcimage.jpg "-all:all>all:all" targetimage.jpg
and will copy all of the EXIF from srcimage.jpg to targetimage.jpg the tool will also keep an unlatered version of targetimage.jpg as well so if things go wrong you don't lose the image.
10-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The only way I can think of to quickly and easily combine the results of a multi-brand session for client preview is to bring them all into a device designed to do such. Capture as RAW+ on all cameras with JPEG at reduced resolution and use the JPEGs as proofs. I would explore some sort of WiFi tether or simply dumping the JPEGs off the cards to a tablet using USB.

Steve
10-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not using a smartphone for showing the jpegs ?

10-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
See post #4 above.
10-28-2019, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
....so obviously there is a bit of a road block across all brands with 'seeing' 'normal' jpgs. I mean these are just very low file size low res jpgs, nothing at all that would stress the capability of the camera.
The likely problem is that there is no such thing as a "normal" JPEG. Most of the file standards are quite complex in defining a set of options and features such as clever variants of the compression algorithms, different organizations of the data structures, different color spaces, or additional features needed by different applications such as printing.

It's very likely that the camera's firmware only implements a tiny subset of the JPEG standard -- just enough to encode/decode the kinds of JPEGs created by the camera. An outside application or a different device might easily use features and variants allowed by the JPEG standard that a camera does not know what to do with. In contrast, a web browser, image process applications, or large device operating system would implement more of the entire standard because they do need to be able to decode anything.

It's the same with DNG which is also a standard but which is flexible enough that OS and image processing application vendors need to update their software every time a new camera model comes out.
10-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
See post #4 above.
You mean post #3...
10-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I basically thought I could use the camera as a generic jpg viewer of sorts
Bruce...Is this a continuation of your previous quest to provide a fast review option for displaying results when you are shooting events?

Steve
10-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I basically thought I could use the camera as a generic jpg viewer of sorts
Bruce...Is this a continuation of your previous quest to provide a fast review option for displaying results when you are shooting events?

Steve
10-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #14

You mean post #3...
No I meant post #4:
Post #3 is photoptimist's and contains the suggestion to use a smartphone. It does not answer your question why the OP doesn't use a smartphone.
Post #4 is the OPs response to using a phone, specifically:

I thought about doing the phone thing but it wasn't really a thing I have on my person during a shoot easily, or all the time, sometimes its in my bag etc.
See screen capture below of post #4 by the OP (BruceBanner)
10-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Typically I can have enough on my person for a professional shoot, two cameras dangling off me, lens pouches, triggers etc. I would have my phone in my bag, and yes that is an option. It just feels a little silly to dig out a third electronic device with a viewing screen when I have the people and two cameras around my neck at the time

Steve
Nope. It is just as the OP states, posing cards that are drawn positions for the models to mimic, they natively come as Jpgs yet getting to view them on the camera is proving tricky, and now I am curious as to why.