Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

WooHoo! New Macbooks!!

I have been waiting for Apple to come out with new Macbooks for a while. I ended up buying the 2.0Ghz Macbook. So far so good. Lightroom works well. Pictures look really nice.

Anybody else get one???

10-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

older macbook pro and lightroom 4go of ram and good enough ;-)

Last edited by Substitute; 10-19-2008 at 03:09 AM.
10-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are no new macbooks. They are just the old ones with aluminum shells, no?
10-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
There are no new macbooks. They are just the old ones with aluminum shells, no?
No, these are a new design, with Nvidia hybrid graphics that belch fire compared to the older MacBooks, at least according to the benchmarks Apple posted for them. They also have a slightly revised Penryn, and use the MacBook Air's power adapter.

I just picked up a 2.1Ghz Penryn MacBook used a few months ago for $700 with Office and a wireless mouse. I basically stole it. The owner had it for two months, used it three times, and hated it, so wanted to get rid of it. He spent the $700 on a Toshiba. Ah well. I plan on sticking 4Gb of memory in it for Aperture use (1Gb is horrendous, even without any other programs running, probably because of the onboard graphics), but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

10-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I am going to sell my current black Penryn Macbook (2.4Ghz) for one of the new Macbook Pro's. While it does a decent job of editing images in Aperture and Photoshop, it definitely leaves something to be desired. I think the combination of 4GB of RAM and a discrete video card make a world of a difference especially as Aperture's system requirements recommend one.
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

the glare on the new glassbooks look terrible
not sure why everyone's into the glossy screen phase
10-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sweet.

That means I can get rid of both of my 12" 1ghz PBs and get a MB for not much more.

I love it when people are early adopters

10-19-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the glare on the new glassbooks look terrible
not sure why everyone's into the glossy screen phase
It's not that bad..... the gizmodo review gave it really negative review. But you just have to deal with it.
10-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
No, these are a new design, with Nvidia hybrid graphics that belch fire compared to the older MacBooks, at least according to the benchmarks Apple posted for them. They also have a slightly revised Penryn, and use the MacBook Air's power adapter.

I just picked up a 2.1Ghz Penryn MacBook used a few months ago for $700 with Office and a wireless mouse. I basically stole it. The owner had it for two months, used it three times, and hated it, so wanted to get rid of it. He spent the $700 on a Toshiba. Ah well. I plan on sticking 4Gb of memory in it for Aperture use (1Gb is horrendous, even without any other programs running, probably because of the onboard graphics), but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.
the same nvidia graphics that apple and others are suing nvidia for? Or something like that?
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #10

i got a white macbook (2.4ghz + upgraded ram 4gb) in may, and have to say that i prefer it to the new ones they brought out
i don't like the two colour look of the new ones, the only improvement on the new macbook is the graphics card
they're lower specced and more expensive (for us aussies anyway)
10-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by budkid Quote
It's not that bad..... the gizmodo review gave it really negative review. But you just have to deal with it.
that a ridiculous statement... you don't have to 'just deal' with anything. the price that apple charges for its products is ridiculous enough.. one is just supposed to 'deal' with a screen that has a serious glare problem? another case of simple form over function.... 'but it looks so cool, and glossy!'
10-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
No, these are a new design, with Nvidia hybrid graphics that belch fire compared to the older MacBooks.
Keep in mind you have to log off and on in order to change GPUs.

Sony's VAIO hybrid can do that with a flick of a switch. Literally.

YAY for the new MacMook -
Also: Apple's new MacBook is Mm Mm good - Engadget
10-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that a ridiculous statement... you don't have to 'just deal' with anything. the price that apple charges for its products is ridiculous enough.. one is just supposed to 'deal' with a screen that has a serious glare problem? another case of simple form over function.... 'but it looks so cool, and glossy!'
they also discontinued the firewire port. i had one one hard drive that used firewire. I say...o well...get a new hard drive. Just deal with it. I do not think the glossy screens are a negative feature. Try using it in a low light environment, it is fantastic.
10-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Banned

why should I pay that kind of money and then have to dim the lights? are you mad? I say once again ... typical apple form over function... a glossy screen makes no sense and I think its stupid to just 'deal' with it. I don't understand your logic here....
10-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why should I pay that kind of money and then have to dim the lights? are you mad? I say once again ... typical apple form over function... a glossy screen makes no sense and I think its stupid to just 'deal' with it. I don't understand your logic here....
Because macs make you look cool!