Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frustration!! Elements, Plug ins & Macbook

I am obviously doing something wrong and probably cant see the obvious.
Have purchased Elements 6 from a Mac store to install on my new macbook.
Have re-installed/repaired Elements and downloaded updates etc, each time I download the camera raw 4.6 update I get a message saying it can not find a place for it.
When I go into Elements > File > Open > photos and try and open a raw file, I get the message that it can not open this file due a program error.....?(yes, I have re-installed elements).

I'm beat......any clues?

Thanks
Grant

10-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After a lot of time on the phone with Adobe who pointed the finger at Iphotos and mac.... I rang Apple mac who have finally come up with a compromise.

Hope this may help anyone else in a similar situation.

Apple say download RAW files to desk top from camera ( drag & drop) and open it in Elements from there. It works, its different but you get there.

I will reserve judgement until I have had time to settle down and give the workflow a true trial.

Also disable Iphoto (through preferences) as the main capture/down load option if you want to store your photos elsewhere.

Cheers.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 10-20-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: incorrect info.
10-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

did you try autoupdate ? I have heard that people should download and install camera raw manually on macs for elements...
10-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes. That is correct, install the plug in manually.
But I am wrong in my earlier post....what Apple have said is disable iphoto as the primary receiver, download RAW files to the desktop (drag & drop) and then open those from elements.

Doesn't help me with what is in iphoto, looks like I have to convert those to jpeg and then use elements.

There must be a better way.

Anyone??

10-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use adobe bridge and bridge downloader bring in my images, i shall look through my cd's to see if I got it somewhere, not sure if its a free download but you could always try the trial version to see if it works.

I use a mac and CS3, i was lucky enough that when my dad bought it for his business he bought the multi user version . I dont have problems opening images, but I did disable i photo import.

You could try this method which also works for me:-

1. put card into your card reader, or plug in your camera
2. disable any autoimport, just click red button
3. make new folder on desktop (i call my raw files)
4. open card folder from desktop and drag new file into raw floder
5. when using elements (or your raw converter) use the open file and search for your raw folder
6. open and images should thumbnail
10-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I thought that Elements 6 for Mac was supposed to work with iPhoto - iPhoto as image manager and Elements as editor. I use Aperture and Ps CS3 so this is not from experience, just what I had heard elsewhere. Interesting.