Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2020, 02:53 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of sympathy for Win10 on this thread! 😁 Not being that interested in the tech aspects of computer/OS internals, I find Win10 (which I’ve used for a few years) to be as stable and easy to use as was Win7 before it. If it ain’t broke...

01-26-2020, 04:42 AM   #122
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of sympathy for Win10 on this thread! Not being that interested in the tech aspects of computer/OS internals, I find Win10 (which I’ve used for a few years) to be as stable and easy to use as was Win7 before it. If it ain’t broke...
I know, I couldn't possibly go back to Win 8 or 7 or XP or 95 or DOS 5.0 or whatever some say they do.

I deploy OSes in their hundreds across sites, BTW.

I must say, I like the new Edge I'm testing for myself, which is based now on Google Chrome.

01-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve been a Firefox user for many years; it works for me.
01-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My current machine is a dual boot Win7/Linux machine. I decided to upgrade to a color-corrected 4K display and the current one doesn't have a simple upgrade path to a better graphics card (old, microATX motherboard with PCI 2.0 and little physical real estate for a new graphics card), so I'm going to build a new system. Pretty high-end Ryzen 9, since I upgrade about once every 5 or 8 years.

My plan is to never have Win10 or Win-anything touch the machine. It's going to run only an Ubuntu-based distro. I transitioned all my photo editing to Linux over a year ago. I'll run RawTherapee compiled to optimize the new processor; it should be pretty quick on 12 cores with 32G of 3600MHz RAM. RT runs reasonably on a 6-year-old 4-core machine with 16G of RAM.

01-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #125

I'm in the process of building a new system. There is no driver support for my new graphics card, ethernet or USB. So my video is limited to 640 × 480, no USB support (which means no mouse - no PS/2 mouse port) and no Internet connection. The motherboard has a COM port so I suppose I could use dialup since I still have a working modem.

So make sure Windows 7 support is available for whatever motherboard you are looking at. I'm going to run Windows 7 on a virtual machine.
01-27-2020, 06:07 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
14) switch to Linux and forget about 2) to 13) easy
Linux malware - Wikipedia
01-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I know, I couldn't possibly go back to Win 8 or 7 or XP or 95 or DOS 5.0 or whatever some say they do.
I liked Windows 1 very much

01-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #128

Ok, I found Win 7 x64 drivers for the USB and LAN from Intel for the chips on my mobo (Gigabyte). I found how to add the driver packs to the Windows install. The problem on of the files is greater than 4GB. Bootable USB on a UEFI mobo use FAT32 which has a limit of 4GB file size.

Exploring ways of making a USB boot that handles larger files.
01-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Only the uefi partition itself has to be fat, you can boot any fs you wish and are not forced to use fat. You could use exfat for example.
However, you should stop violating your new hardware with an outdated and in a few weeks unsecure system.
01-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ok, I found Win 7 x64 drivers for the USB and LAN from Intel for the chips on my mobo (Gigabyte). I found how to add the driver packs to the Windows install. The problem on of the files is greater than 4GB. Bootable USB on a UEFI mobo use FAT32 which has a limit of 4GB file size.

Exploring ways of making a USB boot that handles larger files.
Is there any chance you can unpack the installation files and delete the bloat (e.g., a bazillion language files, multi-megabyte whizzy graphics images, ugly fonts, dumb included crapware apps) and then repack them?
01-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Linux malware - Wikipedia
as I said basically a non issue for running Linux, I have used Linux, for some time, since SuSe 9.1 and never had any issues at all, I know those new to Linux don't understand.
01-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

as I said basically a non issue for running Linux, I have used Linux, for some time, since SuSe 9.1 and never had any issues at all, I know those new to Linux don't understand.
Like me with Windows 7
01-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know those new to Linux don't understand.
And the chances of running into malware designed for Linux is incredibly small as the userbase of that OS isn't as widespread as it is for windows. And even then the potential for damage is minimal as most people these days run browsers in sandboxes these days*. Linux has come a long was since its early origins in the 90's: when I was using it, a GUI was only available in certain environments and even then, they weren't exactly user friendly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Bootable USB on a UEFI mobo use FAT32 which has a limit of 4GB file size.
That must be really annoying. It is 2020, and you're stuck with a filesystem designed in the 1970's. You would think my now they would allow for at least NTFS for bootable drives.I hope you are familiar with RufUs - you might want to try exFAT

* even if users are unaware of it Windows 10 and some AV software does some behind the scenes work to get commonly used browsers walled off from important system resources, and keep a close eye on the system resources they can access in the event things go awry.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-27-2020 at 03:14 PM.
01-27-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Similar here...Red Hat 1996 and I would be the last to say that Linux is immune to exploit. Its saving grace is the relatively small installed base and the high level of technical expertise of its users makes for fewer targets and higher level of intelligent diligence.*

Steve

* Making a clear distinction between server and desktop installations, of course. Linux servers are only as secure as their latest patches, the software behind the ports they expose, and the skill and diligence of the admin. (...s-e-n-d-m-a-i-l...yes, ancient history...2006 at most recent, but good example...also...H-U-B-R-I-S...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-27-2020 at 04:30 PM.
01-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Like me with Windows 7
I have no issues with anyone who wants to use Win7, I have two machines to work on that will have Win 7 in Virtualbox, basically Windows will be sand boxed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And the chances of running into malware designed for Linux is incredibly small
Absolutely small.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would be the last to say that Linux is immune to exploit.
Yes for sure, but have to do something stupid to get attacked, social engineering thing.