Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 08:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows 7 support ends 14 January 2020

A quick reminder that bug fixes and security updates for Windows 7 ends on 14 January 2020.

If you've been steadfastly holding out and avoiding Windows 10, now may be a good time to reconsider.

11-19-2019, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Indeed, it's a better idea to upgrade and keep your system secure than to risk being compromised once security updates end.

There are very few compatibility issues between Windows 7 and 10. Also, the upgrade is free (even if you missed the original upgrade window, you can download Windows 10 manually and upgrade with your existing product key).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2019, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
indeed!

What's scary for Windows 7 users is that any security patch created by Microsoft for later Windows versions will likely alert hackers to the specific vulnerabilities in Windows 7.

The only safe solutions are to either upgrade to a newer Windows version (or Linux!) or totally disconnect the Windows 7 machine from the internet.
11-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Run Linuxmint, and have Win 7 as a guest in VirtualBox.
The anti-virus mobs should support Win 7 for ages, like they did with XP.

11-20-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the update, Mark. I've been running Win10 for a good couple of years with no real issues. Win7 was a good platform (for Windows) and Win10 seems to be as good in terms of stability.
11-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Windows 7 has certainly served the world well. There is one PC here, dating from 2003 (HP Slimtower), running Windows XP. It has never given any strife and has not been turned off since 2008. This elderly box of binary bits handles the incoming 150bps broadband from the wall to the router/modem. My brother's PC is the only one in the house/studio that is running Windows 10; Win10 will not work on my elderly PC, so a new ACER/Window 10 is on the TO DO list for the New Year.
11-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If you've been steadfastly holding out and avoiding Windows 10, now may be a good time to reconsider.
Why ? Is your antivirus not working from that date on ?

If your PC with Windows 7 works fine, continue to use it. If you need the new features of Windows 10, you can still upgrade, if you have enough memory (4 GB minimum, 8 or 16 prefered for 64 bit version).

11-20-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote

If your PC with Windows 7 works fine, continue to use it. If you need the new features of Windows 10, you can still upgrade, if you have enough memory (4 GB minimum, 8 or 16 prefered for 64 bit version).
Any machine connected to the internet and running Windows 7 after support ends will be vulnerable to security exploits, no matter what antivirus software you may be running. You certainly would not want to do your banking on it.
11-20-2019, 02:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Any machine connected to the internet and running Windows 7 after support ends will be vulnerable to security exploits, no matter what antivirus software you may be running. You certainly would not want to do your banking on it.
I used Windows XP until Windows 7 came out and I had not one problem, even when some sources of Xp was on the internet. My antivirus protected me very well.
And it will do the same job next year.
11-20-2019, 03:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are too many vulnerabilities that can go around the antivirus. If you have to drop one from the trinity of updated, responsibly-used system or antivirus*, the antivirus is the least dangerous to stop using.

*Not counting Windows Defender, which I think comes as default.
11-20-2019, 04:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I used Windows XP until Windows 7 came out and I had not one problem, even when some sources of Xp was on the internet. My antivirus protected me very well.
I'm sure you antivirus will still protect you against viruses. But it's not going to help with any operating system vulnerabilities and exploits that are discovered and remain unpatched after support ends.
11-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #12

I just got a notice from TurboTax strongly recommending one to upgrade to Windows 10 before installing TurboTax or anything using your social security number or banking information.
11-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Indeed, it's a better idea to upgrade and keep your system secure than to risk being compromised once security updates end.

There are very few compatibility issues between Windows 7 and 10. Also, the upgrade is free (even if you missed the original upgrade window, you can download Windows 10 manually and upgrade with your existing product key).
Hmm, didn't know that. How do you perform the upgrade ?
11-20-2019, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Hey, if it's not broken... I'm still using Windows XP at home and at work. The OS is more than up to the task of massive spreadsheets, imaging using LR3 and Photoshop/Illustrator CS5. I only use Windows 7 64-bit on my 8-yr old Thinkpad laptop. ESET NOD antivirus still protects WinXP and 7. I've never needed any support from Microsoft since first installing Windows 3.0 in ?1992.

11-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This isn't a good view of the risk. Zero day exploits will occur and antivirus software is limited in how it can respond to OS vulnerabilities that bypass the normal operations. If you trust this to protect you I would suggest that you avoid any financial transactions and backup any data on that machine and hope your track record continues.