Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

XRite Colour Checker Passport 1/2 Support Pentax?

I haven't looked enough into this yet, I just notice that it is intended for LR and supports DNG. So does that mean it works with Pentax? My understanding is you need additional software installed to get the checker working correctly for you, and thus camera calibration and stuff is important. You can see for example this video here the fella is using a pulldown menu which has his camera and WB conditions, I think these come from the Colour Checker, so we'd also need them for Pentax?

Perfect Color in Portraits and Landscapes - YouTube

Anyone use the Colour Checker for Pentax?

TIA

BB

11-21-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes it works with Pentax.
Color Checker is not camera manufacture or camera model dependent. If fact if you look at places here, on this site, you will see threads on its use.

I use it to create custom icc profiles in Capture One. The Color Checker Passport software supports primarily DNG files, while the icc profile creation processes are based on TIFF.
Go here:
Correct illumination for use with a color target - PentaxForums.com
Suitable colour chart lighting for creation of dual-illuminant profiles? - PentaxForums.com #10
For a method to create ICC profiles - manufactureer/camera independent
X-Rite Custom Camera Profiling for Capture One Pro - PentaxForums.com #8
11-21-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
XRite Colour Checker Passport 1/2 Support Pentax?
Use of the Colour Checker is not camera dependent, though integration with Pentax-proprietary tools may be limited. As for being intended for LR, one can use it with that tool, but utility is much broader than use with that usage. Ditto for DNG. Remember...it is basically just a compact version of their long-running MacBeth color chart and nothing more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColorChecker

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-21-2019 at 10:10 PM.
11-21-2019, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I haven't looked enough into this yet, I just notice that it is intended for LR and supports DNG. So does that mean it works with Pentax? My understanding is you need additional software installed to get the checker working correctly for you, and thus camera calibration and stuff is important. You can see for example this video here the fella is using a pulldown menu which has his camera and WB conditions, I think these come from the Colour Checker, so we'd also need them for Pentax?

Perfect Color in Portraits and Landscapes - YouTube

Anyone use the Colour Checker for Pentax?

TIA

BB
Yes, I’ve used it successfully with a K3 and K1 for several years. Especially useful for weddings. I do use Lightroom and have created ‘dual illuminant’ profiles which I then use as my defaults when importing new images from SD card. The ‘dual illuminant’ bit involves taking pictures of the passport both in daylight and artificial lighting. It then uses this as a reference point to how far from ‘normal’ the newly imported raw file is.
I was never quite happy with the skin tones I was getting before using this.

11-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Yes it works with Pentax.
Color Checker is not camera manufacture or camera model dependent. If fact if you look at places here, on this site, you will see threads on its use.

I use it to create custom icc profiles in Capture One. The Color Checker Passport software supports primarily DNG files, while the icc profile creation processes are based on TIFF.
Go here:
Correct illumination for use with a color target - PentaxForums.com
Suitable colour chart lighting for creation of dual-illuminant profiles? - PentaxForums.com #10
For a method to create ICC profiles - manufactureer/camera independent
X-Rite Custom Camera Profiling for Capture One Pro - PentaxForums.com #8
Thanks, looks like I have some homework to do

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Use of the Colour Checker is not camera dependent, though integration with Pentax-proprietary tools may be limited. As for being intended for LR, one can use it with that tool, but utility is much broader than use with that usage. Ditto for DNG. Remember...it is basically just a compact version of their long-running MacBeth color chart and nothing more.

ColorChecker - Wikipedia

Steve
Okay dokey, thanks Steve!

QuoteOriginally posted by HippyHippo Quote
Yes, I’ve used it successfully with a K3 and K1 for several years. Especially useful for weddings. I do use Lightroom and have created ‘dual illuminant’ profiles which I then use as my defaults when importing new images from SD card. The ‘dual illuminant’ bit involves taking pictures of the passport both in daylight and artificial lighting. It then uses this as a reference point to how far from ‘normal’ the newly imported raw file is.
I was never quite happy with the skin tones I was getting before using this.
Ok that's interesting, I do weddings occasionally and usually render in ways that not necessarily aim for perfect accurate skin tones (film simulation stuff), but this actually works even better if you can get accurate skin tones to begin with.

My thinking of needing it was more to do with my longer term goal of doing school photography and just helping that process along. I never realised it could be useful for skin tones outdoors with either ambient or mixed lighting. I'll need to do some more homework on this one and get back to you all. Good to know it works with Pentax, I just wanted to get that out of the way before researching it more and potentially wasting hours looking into it only to realise it wouldn't support Pentax, hah!