Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2019, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Visual artist landscape photography

I'm not sure whether this is the right spot (or whether Pentax is involved), but driving into town this morning I heard an interview with a Dutch photographer who was just named Artist of the Year 2020 for her photographical work. She's a landscape photographer who then does a lot of post processing, resulting in images that resemble some of the Dutch landscape painting classics. She describes herself as a visual artist who tries to convey the feelings that she experienced when taking the image to the viewer. For me her work is extra nice because she takes a lot of her work in Drenthe, the province where I grew up. Here's her website

11-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

Very interesting work -- there are some images I absolutely love, and some that seem overly worked. Thanks for posting!
11-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
nice work, thanks for posting
11-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
indeed beautiful compositions; thanks for sharing

11-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Very interesting work -- there are some images I absolutely love, and some that seem overly worked. Thanks for posting!
I really like them too, and I think they are heavily worked, but still somehow subtle. I really like the look overall, but haven't yet figured out the right approach in post. It looks like lower contrast, maybe a little little bit of blurring, a texture behind, and some brushing on top?

I think also a restricted color palette will get towards the painting look too. But I have no clue where to start. Any insight?

Maybe a class on oil painting!
11-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
I think also a restricted color palette will get towards the painting look too. But I have no clue where to start. Any insight?
I'm not entirely sure, and certainly not very good at post processing but a couple of images look like the artist is allowing the front of the image to remain mostly photographic while possibly using a program like Topaz impressions to subtly paint the background. Only a guess though ...
11-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #7

These are very evocative images; you really get that Dutch landscape oil painting "vibe" off of them.
11-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My pleasure, and I'm trying to find out what it is that she does. The story this morning was that she easily spends two or three hours processing the raws she takes.

11-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. Thanks for posting the link. Her images are very much like Rembrandt's landscapes in their treatment of light.
11-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice work, thanks for posting. She has a interesting way of processing.
11-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote

...I think also a restricted color palette will get towards the painting look too. But I have no clue where to start. Any insight?

Maybe a class on oil painting!
I took an oil painting course, 4 sessions at a local community college, and it really helped me see photography in a completely different way. I learned that more color does not necessarily mean better color, and what colors worked together and what colors didn't. More importantly I learned so much about composition and light. Now I analyze photographic scenes from the back to front and where and what kind of lighting is present. I never was able to transfer what I saw in my head to the canvas though.