Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screen Calibration.

I have two screens.
One is a 27" Samsung TV/Monitor and the other an HP LP2475w. The HP is supposed to be a top notch screen. At least better than the Samsung.
I run linux so I use DisplayCal with a Spyder4 setup.
I have calibrated the Samsung. And even though I am not sure the settings are the best I am quite satisfied with the way things look when I have done a print.

But then I try to calibrate the HP, it doesnt at all look right.
The brightness and the color temp are both of when I compare pictures with the Samsung.
It seems to be brighter and cooler.
Is this because they are just different screen technology?

Anybody with dual screen calibration experience?

Culture

11-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #2

I use DisplayCal with a spyder5 on all my monitors and yes they all look a bit different between types. Do you put the monitors in custom mode when calibrating?
Initially when using displaycal I never noticed a temp adjust option just color and bright point, if I remember correctely it is part of the spyder software initiall setup.You could adjust temp since it is hardware based compared to the color profile
11-27-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I see the color temp setting in display cal. I can choose the temp i want which I have set to 6500K.
I feel like the problem is coming from the adjustment options on the HP. I dont know if the signal input is also a factor.
I think I am using DVI.
11-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Maybe some settings in your graphics card or integrated. I know my Nvidia card has many settings and the one that has a real big impact is changing from RGB to ycbrb444 or 442 color space.
As far as DVI goes it is possible I seem to remember it is limited in a number of ways. I have not used that in quite awhile and my monitors don't even have the adapter connection so that's a good indicator it is history. I would use Display Port or HDMI for higher bandwidth and a purer signal

11-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Spyder4 is a colorimeter so technically the calibration software not only needs to know the panel type (background light type and/or active lighting technology) but also the exact monitor model.

Ideally, the software would also be able to interrogate the filter characteristics of the calibration device and your Spyder 4 seems to support this.

Long story short: Achieving inter-monitor agreement when using different monitor models is not easy which, IMHO, puts the whole calibration business to shame.
It is of course much better to calibrate than to leave (bad) monitors at their standards settings, but monitor calibration is no easy one-click road to happiness.

Have a look at these DisplayCAL notes about colorimeter corrections to open up the can of worms.

Last edited by Class A; 11-28-2019 at 12:29 AM.
12-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Spyder4 is a colorimeter so technically the calibration software not only needs to know the panel type (background light type and/or active lighting technology) but also the exact monitor model.

Ideally, the software would also be able to interrogate the filter characteristics of the calibration device and your Spyder 4 seems to support this.

Long story short: Achieving inter-monitor agreement when using different monitor models is not easy which, IMHO, puts the whole calibration business to shame.
It is of course much better to calibrate than to leave (bad) monitors at their standards settings, but monitor calibration is no easy one-click road to happiness.

Have a look at these DisplayCAL notes about colorimeter corrections to open up the can of worms.
Thanks for this comment. After several tries and two different monitors there is seem to be a truth to this.