Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

photoshop question; using PS6 and CC

Anyone using both older standalone photoshop and CC. There are some plug ins I'd like to use with PS CC that can no longer be updated in PS6 like Tony Kuyper's panel but I edit very infrequently and may go months without entering LR or PS. I was thinking about getting CC only to turn it on and off on a month to month basis using it when I might have a slow spot with work and could spend some time working on shots. Is this even possible, and if so would the edited shots go back into my Lightroom library and be accessible and readable using the old LR6 or do I need to reimport them? I'm guessing it might be more of a hassle than it's worth as I haven't been able to find any info. on working like this when doing some internet searches. If anyone is working this way I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

11-30-2019, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can buy PS on a monthly basis but it is more expensive that way. I don’t have PS6, but I have LR6 and a CC plan. I generally don’t use the CC much except for mobile as it is not as flexible in my opinion. I’m not really sure that you can do what you are asking, I have not tried. I will try when I get the chance. I don’t think it will work like that because the GUI interface is so different that different software teams must develop them, even though the underlying base should be the same.

The things that bug me about CC the most is not being able to rename files on import, and not having enough cloud storage to really make the cloud useful. They have said that maybe they will change that part though. Even if I get more cloud storage I will still move my files to my hard drive, but having more in the cloud could be nice.
11-30-2019, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #3

I can confirm firsthand that it is possible to use CS6 and CC2017 versions of Photoshop on the same MacOS computer. One thing that makes this easier (and may be a requirement?) is if CS6 was installed/activated using a license string as opposed to the CC utility. I guess this somehow sandboxes the older installation from the purview of the CC utility.

Once they're both working, you should be able to manage plugins and extensions using the file paths, i.e. browse to Apps/Photoshop CS6/Plug-Ins and backup or update the Kupyer plugin.

It might also help to comb through the preferences of the CC utility and carefully configure the auto-update options. For example, I prefer to disable auto-update in case it breaks my existing apps.

Last edited by redmenace; 12-01-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary and unrequested self-analysis
12-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses! PS6 was installed from disc with license string so I'll be sure to keep this setup and then add PS CC. I might experiment with it for a month and see how it works. I didn't see any discount for a year subscription versus monthly for CC -- I had hoped Adobe would have had a black Friday sale on it but unfortunately they didn't.

12-01-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Anyone using both older standalone photoshop and CC. There are some plug ins I'd like to use with PS CC that can no longer be updated in PS6 like Tony Kuyper's panel but I edit very infrequently and may go months without entering LR or PS. I was thinking about getting CC only to turn it on and off on a month to month basis using it when I might have a slow spot with work and could spend some time working on shots. Is this even possible, and if so would the edited shots go back into my Lightroom library and be accessible and readable using the old LR6 or do I need to reimport them? I'm guessing it might be more of a hassle than it's worth as I haven't been able to find any info. on working like this when doing some internet searches. If anyone is working this way I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.
I did a test on the Mac with Lightroom CC and LR Classic (My Lightroom 6 is on PC), LR Classic is what they relabel 6 as for the Photography Plan CC package. If you export as a DNG file out of either version, you can import it into the other version with edits intact. If it does that for LR I'm pretty sure it will work with PS, since LR is an extract from PS.
12-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks ramsybuckeye -- that is pretty much what I wanted to know.