Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

RAW batch processing with Auto settings

Greetings!

As of lately I have encountered a problem, where I have a lot of raw files. I shoot in raw - just in case. So I have a problem - how to process and convert them in batch mode. The problem is that they would need an individual approach, thus I am looking for a batch raw processing software option that could handle this.
Maybe you could suggest something and point me in the right direction?

The vast majority of files doesn't hold any particular artistic value, but they are personally important (sentimental). Nevertheless, I don't have a time to process everything individually. Thus I am looking into maybe "AI" based solutions, that can automatically analyze scene - correct horizon, crop, apply some basic corrections etc. Is there something on the market that could do that?

A big thanks in advance!

Last edited by madphys; 11-30-2019 at 02:32 AM.
11-30-2019, 03:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
how to process and convert them in batch mode
I use Silkypix Developer Studio Pro. You can batch process raw files in that using individual adjustments or presets that you can customise yourself. If you want to do a lot of files make sure you have a decent computer though.

Thus I am looking into maybe "AI" based solutions, that can automatically analyze scene - correct horizon, crop, apply some basic corrections etc. Is there something on the market that could do that?
With the exception of horizon/crop the best software to do what you want is already in the camera. Shoot jpeg. There really is no point using raw if you are not going to process it individually to your taste.
11-30-2019, 03:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use Horizon Correction in camera. Also, figure out jpeg settings that work for you and shoot with those. Reserve RAW for situations that have tougher white balance/higher iso/more dynamic range. If you are worried, shoot RAW+ and I think you will find that 9 times out 10 the jpegs will be fine.

As pschlute says, most raw developers allow you to create basic presets that you can then apply to multiple files and even do so on import. They won't correct horizons automatically or do any cropping for you -- I suppose some day an AI could do that, but it isn't available now -- particularly since it would require the AI to read your mind to know what is important to you and what you would want it to do.
11-30-2019, 04:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Photoshop Elements 14 and I usually use the built in batch processing to convert a bunch of RAW files to small jpegs for quick sharing.
It has some basic correction capabilities and I usually put the file name in the bottom corner of the image so I can quickly go to the RAW file if necessary.
This fits my workflow pretty well because I can go back to the RAW if I need to in order to produce a better image, say for publication.

11-30-2019, 04:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is that they would need an individual approach, thus I am looking for a batch raw processing software option that could handle this.
Thus I am looking into maybe "AI" based solutions, that can automatically analyze scene - correct horizon, crop, apply some basic corrections etc.
Automation is possible but there'll always be some photos that won't turn out right, even with the world best AI software.

The way I address this problem is by applying global processing parameters to groups of images, then review of images as 5x5 , 6x6, 7x7 thumbnail to spot the one image where the parameter don't do well adjust that image. Send to entire group to background processing.
11-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion was already said, shoot raw+ with corrections turned on including horizon and tune jpgs close then use the raw if needed. Or use the raw button if the body you use has it to save only a few raw files when needed and shoot jpg.
11-30-2019, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every photographer is slightly different in how they work. If I were taking "record" pictures with little artistic merit I would use jpeg (or raw +)

When I come back from a photo expedition, say an afternoon, I may have 100-150 raw captures. I will be examining these in the raw converter and scoring them. Any with missed focus or unrecoverable exposure errors get red tagged straight away. If there are say 10 of the same view I will choose the best and red tag the other 9. I will end up with maybe 12 images that I will actually process. After making conversion adjustments (WB/exposure/contrast etc) some will be cropped and processed in the raw converter into jpegs of the size I want usually 1440 pixels tall for my screen viewing and web posting. Those images that need more work (dodging/burning) or other detailed adjustments will be processed into a full sized TIFF file. I can then work on the TIFF in Photoshop and eventually produce a jpeg from that.

Point being I will throw away 90% of all my captures.
11-30-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As of the latest version Lightroom's 'auto' setting is quite good for general non-artistic photos. It can be run during import so it is essentially completely hands off. I shoot only RAW and use a custom develop preset on import. I generally never go further on 90% of images. Anything I think is of value does get further work but its not required to obtain a useful image.

11-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You can do that with RawTherapee, Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5, & DxO.
11-30-2019, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thus I am looking into maybe "AI" based solutions, that can automatically analyze scene - correct horizon, crop, apply some basic corrections etc. Is there something on the market that could do that?
That's a hard task. Particularly auto cropping.

I think much of what you ask is technically possible - eg some Sony cameras have had for a long time an in-camera shooting option called 'Auto-object framing' that does some auto-cropping and leveling based on the subject tracked by the AF

The camera's JPEG engine also will process the colours, do noise reduction etc on the cropped image output, of course.

But I haven't come across any desktop software that attempts anything similar on bulk RAW processing.

Perfectly Clear sells itself as an intelligent batch photo-processor that can intelligently automate a lot of RAW processing drudgery, and it has its fans. I tried it once a long time ago but never got into it. But they have continued to improve the product, and now it has even more magic 'AI', so it may be worth a look.
QuoteQuote:
"We've pioneered a proven scientific patented formula that allows you to sit back and trust the editing process. Perfectly Clear safely corrects all your photos at one time with precision and accuracy, saving you hours of manual work."
Perfectly Clear - The Award-Winning, Photo-Editing Software

But most RAW processors (Lightroom, Capture one, Pentax Digital Camera Utility, RawTherapee etc) will do an OK job at bulk processing whatever RAW images you may feed them. Most have some 'auto-tune' settings that you can turn on to fix or enhance exposure on a per-image bulk basis, and Lightroom even has an automatic perspective correction and crop option (eg 'Auto upright mode with constrained crop') that you can apply in-bulk:

How to correct distorted horizontal and vertical perspective in photos using Lightroom CC 2015.6

However I find that the default processing DxO Photolab does for every RAW it opens is a bit more 'active' than other RAW processors, including automatically doing smart things with exposure compensation, noise removal and lens correction on a bulk per-image basis. They also have handy semi-automatic tools for fixing red-eye, micro-contrast etc that may be applied in batch.

DxO PhotoLab 3 - DxO

Last edited by rawr; 11-30-2019 at 02:03 PM.
11-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You can do that with RawTherapee
I second RawTherapee and use it frequently for batch processing images.