Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Loupedeck CT

Loupedeck created another controller to help using software like Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.

I think this new controller design is really useful as it is small enough to fit next to a standard keyboard. Most other controllers are way too big to fit on a normal workspace along with a keyboard.

The Contour ShuttlePro V2 that I use is a notable exception and has been very useful for me.

Despite the rather hefty price tag of the Loupedeck CT, I'd consider buying it, as soon as they provide support for Capture One Pro. It's advantages over the ShuttlePro V2 include displays (yes, there are several) that can show custom icons, multiple small knobs to control sliders, and a more flexible wheel design (it contains a touch pad that can be used to select the wheel function dynamically).

12-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw this on a YouTube video by Ted Forbes, but for that price I'll pass and a decent sized Wacom Intuos Pro is much, much more useful to me, not to say cheaper. Have fun if you do stump up for that!
12-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
... for that price I'll pass and a decent sized Wacom Intuos Pro is much, much more useful to me, not to say cheaper.
A tablet and a controller like the Loupedeck CT are pretty much complementary devices.

Never warmed up to tablets myself. A mouse is faster to use, AFAIC, in particular in combination with a keyboard.
12-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For slider-based editing I can understand that, but I prefer local editing, dodging & burning, mask-based edits etc. YMMV

12-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For slider-based editing I can understand that, but I prefer local editing, dodging & burning, mask-based edits etc.
I find using a mouse faster than using a stylus for brushing, etc. as well.

I believe it is a matter of setting the mouse sensitivity correctly.
With a correctly set up mouse, one can achieve a lot of movement on the screen without moving one's hand a lot, let alone one's arm.
A tablet forces one to make more sweeping motions, involving moving the elbow, rather than just the wrist.

The worst about tablets, AFAIC, is that the stylus doesn't stay in place by itself like a mouse does.
This means that whenever one needs to use the keyboard, e.g., for keywording, naming layers, some two-handed shortcuts, etc., one either needs to keep the stylus awkwardly in the hand or needs to pick it up again each time. I never got used to that, so I switched back to using a mouse and never looked back.
12-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, I see YMDV.

(your mileage did vary...)
12-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, I see YMDV.
Yeah, and so does yours.

All good.

I just wanted to clarify that our difference in opinion about tablets is not due to
  1. different workflows (I use the mouse a lot for masking, etc.).
  2. lack of trying on my behalf to get used to using a tablet.

Different strokes for different folks, definitely.