Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We will all need to re-evaluate darktable when it is released this Christmas. I have already seen using the dev builds that the noise reduction algorithms are much improved.

12-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
I am quitting Adobe Lightroom at the end of the year and looking for some free editing software. From what I have read the above two free editors can do pretty much what Lightroom can do. However, having downloaded them they both look to have quite steep learning curves. Is there one that is preferable? Or is there one I have missed?

I work mainly in black and white. I particularly need to be able to control the color filters in the black and white conversion.

Controlling highlights and shadows is also important for me.

Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome.

May I ask why you plan to quit Lightroom ?
12-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
GIMP and Darktable are different tools for different jobs.

GIMP is more or less an open source equivalent of Photoshop, and Darktable more or less an open source equivalent of Lightroom.
I fully agree.

Put another way - GIMP is more of a general purpose tool that can be used for editing photos, whilst Darktable is specifically made for the purpose of editing photos.

I have used GIMP to edit out distracting elements, but for manipulating contrast, exposure, correcting lens errors, noise reduction etc. you can't beat Darktable.
12-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

darktable is the 'ant's pants'...I've been using it for quite a while.
For pixel shift images, I use dcrawps to produce a 16 bit TIFF which I then post process in darktable. I use digiKam to group/classify etc. seems to provide all I need for that.
I've tried (many times) to get to grips with RawTherapee, but I find the interface very difficult...just the way my mind works!

Cheers,
Terry

12-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I've tried (many times) to get to grips with RawTherapee, but I find the interface very difficult...just the way my mind works!

Cheers,
Terry
I also gave up on RawTherapee after a few tries.
12-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #21
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found the Rawtherapee interface less fiddly than Darktable but simply prefer the results of DT.
12-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
May I ask why you plan to quit Lightroom ?
Cost. I really don't like the subscription system.

---------- Post added 12-12-19 at 07:39 PM ----------

There are a lot of useful ideas here that I hadn't considered. I wasn't aware that Gimp and Darktable could be linked - this sounds like a great solution. Also someone mentioned NikCollection could be added to Gimp? I haven't checked it out yet but that would seal the deal if it can be done. I have downloaded Raw Therapy to give that a try too. Cheers!

12-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I also gave up on RawTherapee after a few tries.
I tried Darktable for a few months and it never felt natural, I could never quite get what I wanted and consistently got as good or better results from Lightroom 6. Then I gave RawTherapee a go and never go back to Lightroom. I find it more intuitive than DT, and some of the tools like Retinex and tone mapping and LAB adjustments are invaluable.
12-13-2019, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alnjpn Quote
is there one I have missed?
check this out
15 Free Alternatives to Adobe Lightroom, Illustrator, and Photoshop
12-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I do not know about Gimp, but NikCollection can be easily added to Paint.Net photo editor (https://www.getpaint.net/).

Best regards,
12-28-2019, 03:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I must admit I use Gimp, RawTherapee and Darktable depending on what I'm doing and which computer I'm using. I tend to start in RT to get the colour and image I am looking for, then use Gimp to scale it when posting to forums. Perhaps I'm not doing something properly, and please if I am and you know how to fix it let me know, but Gimp doesn't like my .DNG files for some reason, so I have to export them from RT as .JPG before Gimp will recognise them.

Of the three I prefer RT, the user interface is more intuitive to me but that may just be because I use it more often. I used to use Gimp a lot, but I always had to stop and think what I had to do next. I've only recently started using DT but struggle to find my way around the interface.

Horses for courses I think, however all three are good at what they do and the free price tag makes up for any little foibles.
12-28-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I must admit I use Gimp, RawTherapee and Darktable depending on what I'm doing and which computer I'm using. I tend to start in RT to get the colour and image I am looking for, then use Gimp to scale it when posting to forums. Perhaps I'm not doing something properly, and please if I am and you know how to fix it let me know, but Gimp doesn't like my .DNG files for some reason, so I have to export them from RT as .JPG before Gimp will recognise them.

Of the three I prefer RT, the user interface is more intuitive to me but that may just be because I use it more often. I used to use Gimp a lot, but I always had to stop and think what I had to do next. I've only recently started using DT but struggle to find my way around the interface.

Horses for courses I think, however all three are good at what they do and the free price tag makes up for any little foibles.
Gimp can't open dng's or other raws on it's own. You need to setup RT or dt as a plugin. works much the same as Photoshop and ACR.