Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Choosing Adobe Photography 20GB or Lightroom 1TB plan?

Hi,

Has anyone been in the situation of choosing between the two cheapest Adobe plans to primarily get Lightroom?
What did you choose and why?

With Lightroom 1TB I get a lot of cloud storage. Haven't needed that before but I can see the advantage beeing able to synch and sometimes do some editing on another device.
With Photography 20 GB I get Photoshop. Am currently starting an old version of Photoshop Elements about once a year so I can't say that I *need* that either but it would be fun to finally try to get good at it.

So, what I need is Lightroom. The 1TB might make my workflow a litte more flexible. Photoshop sounds so much fun but will I really have the time to use it?
I'm leaning slightly towards starting with Photography 20GB and see how that works out and then switch if I notice I never have the time for Photoshop.

Any personal story or advice is appreciated.

/Tommy

12-11-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
With Lightroom 1TB I get a lot of cloud storage. Haven't needed that before but I can see the advantage beeing able to synch and sometimes do some editing on another device.
The big question is, what upload speed does your connection support? Cloud storage sounds good until one has multiple files requiring upload to sync. Of course, then the follow-up question might be how deep one's stack might be for queued connection requests.

Steve

(...my connection only supports 1.5Mb/s for upload...)
12-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The big question is, what upload speed does your connection support? Cloud storage sounds good until one has multiple files requiring upload to sync. Of course, then the follow-up question might be how deep one's stack might be for queued connection requests.

Steve

Wow, 1.5Mb/s really beats my 0.6Mbs (today is a good day).
12-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

Original Poster

Steve

Good point, Steve. At home I have a speed of 12Mbit/s but one advantage of synching to the cloud is to do it when away from home and who knows what celular speed will be in the spot I'm at, let alone most guest Wifi networks are painfully slow (at least for upload).

/Tommy

12-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

my connection only supports 1.5Mb/s for upload
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Wow, 1.5Mb/s really beats my 0.6Mbs (today is a good day).
European broadband speeds are generally quite good, both for download and upload. I pay for a 36Mbps download service, and usually get something close to that. I just ran a test now and I'm seeing 34.5Mbps download, 7.9Mbps upload. In recent history, Sweden (the OP's country) is ahead of the UK with its broadband services...
12-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If I was new I would go with Darktable or any non subscription based software. I hate the idea of renting virtual storage space.
12-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If I was new I would go with Darktable or any non subscription based software. I hate the idea of renting virtual storage space.
The cloud storage is completely unnecessary. It exists so you can edit files on multiple devices without being tied to a local network.

I have the Photography plan not because I want Photoshop, but because I only use Lightroom Classic, and only use it on my desktop.

12-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

If you have iPad that can run photoshop, the Photography plan (LR + PS) might be a way to go.
I love Lightroom mobile version. And I went to learn the new Photoshop on iPad in Adobe MAX. I am instantly interesting in it as well.
As a graphic designer, I use photoshop daily and it is a useful tool for photography works.

1TB on Lightroom plan sound good, but we have a choice to store files offline so 20GB on LR + PS plan seems large enough to me.
12-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the photography plan, but I also generally use Lightroom Classic on the desktop. But it's very nice when traveling, I can upload files to my ipad, edit them, and then they are available on the desktop too. I don't really keep files on the cloud for very long. If you are interested in stock photography, being an Adobe Stock contributor may get you the photography plan for free with enough successful uploads. I'm not sure they offer it to everybody, but that's a nice benefit.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 12-11-2019 at 06:33 PM.
12-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Adobe plan giving me desktop-based Lightroom Classic, cloud-based Lightroom, Photoshop, and 20GB of cloud storage for 9.99 USD (11.49 USD or 15.64 CAD with Canadian sales taxes added). This enables me to process photographs on my desktop, an Android phone, and two Android tablets. So, if I'm on a train or bus or having coffee in some coffee shop or some other place, I can be editing my photographs in Lightroom. To use the cloud storage I only have to use collections and indicate for each collection that it is to be synced with the cloud. Currently I have 20 such synced collections containing about 9500 photos. The total space in the cloud for these collections is 736.1MB. I have a long way to go before I run out of the 20GB I have with my plan.

I have thought it would be nice to have terabytes of cloud storage and to put all my photos up there. The cost stops me as I am now pushing two terabytes of photographic storage and have moved to 4TB hard drives for the future. I also need Lightroom Classic for what it can do that the cloud-based Lightroom can't do right now. I also need Photoshop occasionally.

Added: Plus I am using DxO Photolab 3 which would complicate my keeping all my photos on the cloud as it is a desktop-based application.

Last edited by cpk; 12-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.
12-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have the Photography plan not because I want Photoshop, but because I only use Lightroom Classic, and only use it on my desktop.
How often do you use the Lightroom features from after it became subscription based? I know for myself it would be a waste to cull photos to maybe edit 5-6 personal keepers a month.
If money didn't matter are the new features much better? I have no reference but I mean I have Photoshop cs3 and cs6, if I went back to cs3 I wouldn't miss much if anything.
12-11-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
How often do you use the Lightroom features from after it became subscription based? I know for myself it would be a waste to cull photos to maybe edit 5-6 personal keepers a month.
If money didn't matter are the new features much better? I have no reference but I mean I have Photoshop cs3 and cs6, if I went back to cs3 I wouldn't miss much if anything.
It's been worth $120 a year. I could have cancelled this year as I haven't really used my camera in months.

If I ever get a new computer I'll switch to Luminar, but that's a paid upgrade every year...Luminar 2 to Luminar 3 was a free upgrade because they didn't deliver the catalog feature in 2. Then the catalog feature in 3 was a resource hog.
12-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I get about 48 Mb/s download and 18 Mb/s upload, but prefer to look after my own storage.

You didn't say what the relative cost of the two options is. Maybe the cheapest is the best option, at least to start with.
12-12-2019, 01:02 AM   #14

I think, what you said makes sense. Start small, see how it works out and adjust if necessary.
12-12-2019, 03:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Since cancelling my subscription I miss Lightroom more than I do Photoshop.