Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Pentax k5 software

Sorry if this is a frequent repeat question but I can't find my original CD for the software - not firmware as I'll sort that out at a future date. I assume that the software disc has utilities and photo manipulation. (several years since I had it in use - if ever!) I have D/L'd stuff from Ricoh but it wants the original disc. I have found here that I can load it onto an SD card, but before I do that can someone tell me if I'm right about the software being utilities?

12-12-2019, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The disc will contain the DCU (digital camera utility) where you can use the raw converter and editor.

Much better stuff available to be honest even the freeware options. I have not installed any Pentax software for well over 10 years.
12-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree, as far as the K-5 is concerned. I only use DCU5 for pixel-shift processing with the K-3II, and then moving the file rapidly into ACR/Photoshop!
12-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The disc will contain the DCU (digital camera utility) where you can use the raw converter and editor.

Much better stuff available to be honest even the freeware options. I have not installed any Pentax software for well over 10 years.
Thanks for your quick response. I found the discs today! The Operating Manual (not so important as I have printed ones) and the Utility disc. I'll do an update to the firmware when I have time. It might be useful if I could find an update to the Digital Camera Utility as mine is Version 4.

CORRECTION! I found the Update to Ver 5 but can't get it to install as it says in can't find the old version to upgrade! I D/L'd the exe file into the folder where the old Ver4 resides but it doesn't like it! When you run the exe file (I have a 63-bit system but also tried the 32-bit without success) it doesn't let you target a directory to upgrade. Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by Graylion; 12-14-2019 at 03:33 PM.
01-01-2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

Here is a way to install DCU without the original CD; make a silent Installation!

1. Mount the iso-file by the free software WinCDEmu mounter (or a similar program). Disable autorun.
2. By Explorer navigate to the BIN folder (inside the iso-file)
3. Type in "cmd" in the address bar (+enter) or Shift+right click the BIN folder and select "Open Command Prompt here"...
4. Run either the 32 or 64 version of the installation in silent mode by this command:
>setupXX.exe /s /LANG="en"
(Replace XX with your version of windows, and press ENTER).

In this way you will make a default installation of DCU directly. And not ask for any original CD. (perhaps the last part, /LANG="en" , is not neccessary. Good luck!