Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom Classic CC folder question

I just switched from LR6 on an iMac to LR Classic CC on a MacBook. Everything transferred over fine, and I was finally able to get everything in order folder-wise on the MacBook, but I still have one issue I'm trying to solve. My pictures ar located in folders in 2 different places, and I'm trying to get them all together in 1.

When I setup LR I just let it use it's "suggested" foldering system, by date. When I imported all my "old" photos from Aperture, they all went into individual year folders in a folder called "Lightroom Masters". So I have individual folders "2004", "2005", "2006", etc. in there, with all those photos. In 2015 - when I switched from Aperture to LR 6 on my iMac - I started creating the individual year folders in the "Pictures" folders (so in the "Pictures" folder I have the "Lightroom Masters" folder, and then "2015", "2016", "2017", etc... folders.

When I look in the Navigator bar in LR I see the folders from 2015, 2016, etc., but then all the individual date folders (I.e. 2014-12-25, 2014-12-24, etc.) that reside in Lightroom Masters show up for the years before 2015. So what I'm trying to do is create folders for "2004", "2005", etc to drop all those individual date folders into, so that the Navigator pane rolls up a little better.
I understand that if I just go create them on the hard drive and move the date folders in there it'll mess up LR because the path will have changed. So, I tried creating the "2004", "2005", etc folders on the hard drive - thinking I could then see them in the Navigator pane, and be able to move the individual date folders into those "master" year folders inside on LR so as to not break the path. But the folders I created don't show up in the Navigator pane so that I can move the date folders over.

Any idea on how I can create those "master" year folders, so that I can consolidate my Navigator pane?

Thanks....

Tim

12-14-2019, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the library panel, click the + next to folders and choose add a folder from the dropdown box. Drag and drop the photos you want into the new folder. Alternatively, you can highlight all the photos you want to move then add them automatically to the new folder when you create it.
Although it is just a little more work, if you create the folders you want on your HD, you can import them into LR using the import menu. If they are already in LR and it can't find them because you moved them, ask LR to find one of them for you (you will have to show it where you put it); after it finds the first one it will be able to find all the rest in that folder. You may have to repeat for all the new folders.
12-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Susan - but I can't get that to work. In a nutshell, here's what I've got:

- My "Pictures" folder on my HD has a folder called "LightroomMasters". Inside of there are folders for every year I imported back in 2015. So there's a 2004, a 2005, etc - all the way up to 2015. Each of those folders has a set of folders in it for each month - 01, 02, 03....11, 12 - and then each month folder has date folders in to for very day I took photos that month. Since 2015 I've imported all the pictures into their respective year folders (2016, 2017, etc...), which are located in the first level in the Pictures folder on my HD. Those folders don't have the same hierarchy. For example, inside the 2018 folder are just individual folders for each date - so there's no "extra level" of folders for each month. So each of those folders have 30 or 40 subfolders inside them, for each date I took pictures that year.

When I look at all these in the Navigator panel in LR, all the folder that were created from me since I've started using LR (2016 - 2019) are all rolled up into one folder for each year. If I expand those folders, then it shows a folder for each date I took pictures. That's great.
For all the photos I imported when I bought LR (2004 - 2015), they're all listed in the Navigator panel by their individual date folders, so there are 30 - 40 folders for each year from 2004 - 2015 - even though they're all rolled up into individual year folders in the "LightroomMasters" folder. If I use the instructions above, I can create a new folder called 2004, 2005, etc - except all the photos and individual date folders are already in a "year folder" (2004, 2005, etc) inside the "LightroomMasters" folder - it's just that "year folder" isn't showing up in the Navigator panel, even though it exists in the "LightroomMasters" folder, in the "Pictures" folder on my HD.
I tried just creating a new folder in the first level inside the "Pictures" folder called "2015", and then moved all the individual date folders from the "2015" folder inside "LightroomMasters" to the new "2015" folder out at the same level as "LightroomMasters". When I tried to look at the phots through the Navigator panel after the move all of th individual date folders were now grey - but they still allowed me to expand them. The pictures were all pixelated though - so it could "find" them, but it didn't appear to work properly. When I moved the individual date folders backing the "2015" folder inside "LightroomMasters" and went back and looked at them again through the Navigator panel all the pictures looked "normal" again.

Do I have to delete all of those individual date folders from 2004 - 2015 in the Navigator, then go move all the "year" folders (2004, 2005, 2006, etc.) FROM the "LightroomMasters" folder out 1 level to the first level inside the "Pictures" folder (where "2016", 2017", etc. are), and then re-import all those pictures again?
12-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is what I would try. I'm more of a hands on type person so I tend to mess around with a lot of stuff just to see what works the easiest. Remove one of the folders you are trying to navigate to in LR. (Make sure it is backed-up of course.) Remove from LR only, not the disk. Close LR, navigate to the disk on your HD and drag and drop the folder onto the LR icon. LR should automatically open in the import panel and then you can import them into the folder you want them in. I would also right click on one of those pixilated photos and have LR find the parent folder (just for giggles.)
Hope this helps, if not, LR forums and google can be your friend. It could be that the photos you are trying to move are in the LR catalog and, if so, you can't import them again without removing them first.