Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Profiles in Lightroom

I have had issues with Lightroom failing to recognize Sigma lenses and automatically load the lens profiles.
I have several Sigma lenses:
  • 105mm Macro
  • 70-200mm
  • 150-500mm
  • 10-20mm
and two cameras
  • K-7
  • K-5IIs

Sometimes the lens profile loads and sometimes not.

When it fails, I resort to setting the lens profile manually. I am confronted with a long list of manufacturers and once selecting Sigma, I am confronted with an even longer list of models. Invariably the lens I am looking for is way down the bottom and I need to scroll down on a very small arrow to find it. One slight mouse movement and the list closes and I have to start all over again.

It occurred to me that I don't need all the lens manufacturers in the list and I certainly don't need all the Sigma lens models listed. It would be convenient for me if I could edit the lists and delete those I don't need. I find no facility to do so in lightroom. So far so good. I did a computer search to find the folder where the lens profiles are kept. I found three possibilities.
  • 1 C:\Programfiles\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0. This folder contains a nice set of folders for each manufacturer with each folder containing a number of LCP files for each model
  • 2 C:\Resource Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0. Similarly, this folder contains a nice set of folders for each manufacturer with each folder containing a number of LCP files for each model
  • 3 C:\USERS\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles This folder contains only a file called pscashe.dat.

So far so good but which one? Being slightly adventurous, I navigated to the first two folders and altered the name of the ZEISS folder to "ZEISS- OLD" and "ZEISS - Even Older" respectively. The third location I left alone as it had no folders within.

Heading back to lightroom I attempted to locate the modified Lens profile folders. No good, all I could find in the Lens Profiles was the option for "ZEISS" Neither of the renamed folders appeared. I am none the wiser.

Why do I have all these folders?
Which one is Lightroom acccessing?
Is it possible to remove redundant folders and lens profiles from the system?
Is there a way to force Lightroom to properly identify Sigma lenses?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

12-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the problems is Sigma often uses a generic LensId value in EXIF. My 10-20 is identified as a 70-200. I never sent it to Sigma to have the firmware flashed, and I'm not sure Sigma would do it now.
12-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't force Lightroom to properly identify non-Pentax lenses of Pentax cameras. This is because the lens ID code is stored in the lens and Pentax only provides a translation of these codes for Pentax Lenses, not for any third party lenses. Sometimes third party lens manufacturers like Sigma will use an equivalent code for one of their lenses, like a 70-200mm f2.8, but where there is no equivalent you are just plain out of luck.

Regards

Chris
12-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
This is because the lens ID code is stored in the lens and Pentax only provides a translation of these codes for Pentax Lenses, not for any third party lenses.
Actually, Pentax does not even do that. The id code in the makersnotes is all that is supplied to Lightroom, though LR will assign the least ambiguous entry from its lookup tables. Even then, some lenses are never be "picked up" by Lightroom. A good example might be my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C). Despite an unambiguous code ("'8 30"),* LR 6.x does not auto-detect on import.

Steve

* Unambiguous, at least with other known K-mount lenses.

12-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What I have done is find the sigma profile, apply it, then save it as a custom profile. I can then find it easily under custom profile after that.
12-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
What I have done is find the sigma profile, apply it, then save it as a custom profile. I can then find it easily under custom profile after that.
I have done something similar, though I don't remember the fine details. LR will still not auto-detect for that lens, but I was able to set the Sigma 17-70 (C) profile as default for that particular lens. (There is a unique lens identifier passed is well as the id code.)

Steve
12-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Why do I have all these folders?
Which one is Lightroom acccessing?
Is it possible to remove redundant folders and lens profiles from the system?
Is there a way to force Lightroom to properly identify Sigma lenses?
Each folder was created by an Adobe tool for use by that tool.

LR uses the one in the LR tree, but may also use any that you have added to your Adobe tree created as part of your computer user account (something like C:\Users\dave\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles).

It is not a good idea to mess with the contents of Adobe-created directories outside of those in your Users tree and even then, only additions.

No, there is no way to force Lightroom to do any lens id support that is not built into its internal lookup tables or supported through its user interface. One would expect that such would migrate in with periodic updates and with subscription model, that may indeed happen, but never did with perpetual license products.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2019 at 11:40 PM.
12-16-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Each folder was created by an Adobe tool for use by that tool.

LR uses the one in the LR tree, but may also use any that you have added to your Adobe tree created as part of your computer user account (something like C:\Users\dave\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles).

It is not a good idea to mess with the contents of Adobe-created directories outside of those in your Users tree and even then, only additions.

No, there is no way to force Lightroom to do any lens id support that is not built into its internal lookup tables or supported through its user interface. One would expect that such would migrate in with periodic updates and with subscription model, that may indeed happen, but never did with perpetual license products.

Steve
Thanks Steve and others.

It does seem as though LR accesses the C:\Programfiles\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0. folder while Camera Raw uses 2 C:\Resource Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0. Not sure where the other one fits in. It seems logical enough but having duplicate folders for each product seems a bit wasteful.

I have managed to get my 105 Macro and 150-500 mm recognised and I will work on the others.