Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shooting RAW vs DNG

When I got my used K1, I didn't think to check the settings, and noticed that I was shooting in DNG format. This is something new to me, as I've always shot RAW before. So is there any difference, or advantage shooting in DNG instead of RAW, aside from DNG being native to Lightroom/Photoshop? Are there any downsides?

12-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The main advantage is the ease of post exposure modification. The only downside I can thin of is the file size.
12-19-2019, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
When I got my used K1, I didn't think to check the settings, and noticed that I was shooting in DNG format. This is something new to me, as I've always shot RAW before. So is there any difference, or advantage shooting in DNG instead of RAW, aside from DNG being native to Lightroom/Photoshop? Are there any downsides?
DNG is RAW...just a way of packaging the RAW file as I understand it.
Pentax's RAW package is PEF, and provides the same end result.

Cheers,
Terry
12-19-2019, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DNG is a RAW format, It's Adobe's implementation of RAW
As is PEF, which is Pentax's flavor of RAW.
DNG is more widely supported in processing software. The size difference in the files is not that great,

To me the advantage is that it's more likely to be able to find compatible software to read the DNG files in the future. It's a far more accepted format.

12-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
DNG is RAW...just a way of packaging the RAW file as I understand it.Pentax's RAW package is PEF, and provides the same end result.
You understand correctly. DNG is a published format, almost every photo-editing/post-processing tool out there can work with DNG files and those that can't won't be able to work with proprietary PEF files. PEF files don't have more information than DNG files created by a Pentax camera.
12-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

DNG is a file organization structure that is capable of containing RAW capture data, as well as actual image data. DNG from your Pentax camera is data equivalent to PEF from your Pentax camera and there are zero no risks associated with choosing that option over those posed by PEF.

Steve
12-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

There are many types of raw file formats. DNG is one of those. It is the Adobe digital negative format. It is compatible with the ISO 12234-2 and the most widely use raw file format today. I guess because Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop (photoshop in particular) are the most used by the graphic professionals today.

12-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As far as I understood it when I checked, PEFs are (at least on my K-01) uncompressed, while DNGs are losslessly compressed. They both are RAW formats, and the data is the same, as others pointed out.
I chose DNG and never looked back.
12-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess you already have your answer
12-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I always shoot RAW and .DNG. This isn't my thread but I wanted to post to say "thank you", to those who explained in more detail, the .DNG format.
12-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This post is slightly off tangent from what is posted above, but sort of relevant.

I started using PEF for my photos, but have changed my camera setting to DNG as my computer wont show me a thumbnail of a PEF.
To view the PEF files I have to open them with a photo editor to see what they are and then either convert them to JPEG or DNG to view the thumbnails.

I have and use Photoshop & Lightroom (very recent purchase of the annual photography package), Silkypix and Photo Director 8 (was pre installed on my laptop and seems to be the fastest at converting to JPEG)
I have tried installing codecs but still cant get my computer to show PEF thumbnails.

Anyone have the same issue? Anyone have a workaround? I think I will need to convert a few thousand pics from PEF to DNG otherwise.
12-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
This post is slightly off tangent from what is posted above, but sort of relevant.

I started using PEF for my photos, but have changed my camera setting to DNG as my computer wont show me a thumbnail of a PEF.
To view the PEF files I have to open them with a photo editor to see what they are and then either convert them to JPEG or DNG to view the thumbnails.

I have and use Photoshop & Lightroom (very recent purchase of the annual photography package), Silkypix and Photo Director 8 (was pre installed on my laptop and seems to be the fastest at converting to JPEG)
I have tried installing codecs but still cant get my computer to show PEF thumbnails.

Anyone have the same issue? Anyone have a workaround? I think I will need to convert a few thousand pics from PEF to DNG otherwise.
Yes, I had the same problem with PEFs, and they just felt a bit unwieldy to work with. So I've switched to DNG, and am happy with that.
12-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
"Raw" isn't an acronym, it's one of those computeriffic analogical term, i.e., "uncooked". It refers to a whole slew of proprietary file formats (one for Adobe, one for each camera manufacturer) that act as containers for the unprocessed data from the sensor as well as metadata from the lens and camera.
Yes, the image data files created by a camera should be described as raw, not RAW, respecting the exemplary convention used by one of the primary players (possibly the most infuential) in this field, i.e. Adobe:

e.g. Link - Camera Raw

Philip
12-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

One advantage with dng is that Pentax embed a colour profile in the metadata. With pef that bit of data has to come from the raw converter.
12-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I highly recommend reading the dpbestflow.org section on Adobe DNG. Proprietary raw files and DNG files have some similarities, but also several significant differences.

"RAW versus DNG: What are the advantages and disadvantages of DNG files?" is a good article discussing the pros and cons.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 12-20-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added second paragraph