Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Are in camera corrections saved on DNG files?
I thought in camera corrections were only for the JPEG. Therefore do not apply to a RAW file.

But I could be mistaken.

01-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I could be mistaken.
I am quite sure you are not mistaken.

I will point out that the DNG specification is relatively loose in that some of the metadata stored in a DNG file is optional. Some cameras may put more information in the DNG files they create than other cameras and programs that convert proprietary RAW format image files into a DNG files may do different levels of post-processing in the conversion process. The DNG files from a Pentax camera that is set to save images to DNG may be different from the DNG files produced by software that converts PEF files to DNG files.

The key difference between JPEG files produced by a camera and RAW files produced by a camera is that you have less control over how your images are processed for display with JPEG files. You can still adjust colour, contrast, brightness, etc. for a JPEG file, but you will be working with a more heavily processed image before it leaves the camera and every time a JPEG file is compressed when it is saved, some of the information recorded by the camera sensor is lost.

The image being viewed, whether printed on paper or displayed on a digital device, is the end result of a pipeline of computer assisted adjustments. Some of those adjustments are done by the camera before the image is saved as a file (of whatever format), but if a camera offers a choice of saving images to a RAW format or as JPEG, RAW format files will be saved with fewer adjustments and the adjustments that are made by the camera will be more "neutral," to allow for a greater range of adjustments once the files are downloaded from the camera. If you save your images as RAW files, then you have no choice but to run your images through another computer program before displaying them, whereas JPEG files can be sent directly to the printer or the display without further adjustments, if you want.

Camera manufacturers have some leeway in the metadata that gets saved along with the image itself and not every program will process image files the same way, even if they all use the same metadata. If you want as much control as possible over how your images are processed, you need to save your images in a RAW format that your favorite image processing software is able to utilize all of its features with and that contains as much information as possible for the software to use in making adjustments. DNG files follow published specifications and are able to contain any information the camera is programmed to include in RAW files, so a camera that can save images as DNG files should provide just as much information as its own "native" RAW format, which in turn can be used by as many or more editing programs., In those cases, there are no disadvantages to saving images to DNG format instead of a different RAW format and some potential advantages.
02-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I thought in camera corrections were only for the JPEG. Therefore do not apply to a RAW file
The raw file may have a record of what your in-camera correction settings are, and may allow you to apply these to the raw file during the raw processing stage if you wish. In Silkypix DSPro7 for lens distortion correction, I have the options for ON or OFF or "Camera settings". If I choose the latter it will read what my camera jpeg settings were and apply those.
08-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm Happy As A Lark

I never switched to LR as I was quite happy with ACR and PS with PS13(CS6). My problems started when I
upgraded my Fuji cameras after using the XT-1 and X100 for many years. Since Adobe no longer supports CS6 I am
out of luck shooting raw files for those cameras with this version of of PS.

I am on the cusp of buying the Pentax K-1(I have not forgotten you Adam) and just today discovered that this camera's .DNG files open just like raw files!

Those that don't know much about me may find it of interest that I purchased my first Pentax camera in June, 1971.
(Honeywell Spotmatic)

08-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
open just like raw files!
They do not just open like these, they are real raw files produced by the camera.

@RGlasel: the raw files also contain a thumbnail sized, web sized and full sized jpg image representation that you can extract using exiftool - independent of being PEF or DNG (out of Pentax camera).

Last edited by acoufap; 08-14-2020 at 01:51 PM.
08-18-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I never switched to LR as I was quite happy with ACR and PS with PS13(CS6). My problems started when I
upgraded my Fuji cameras after using the XT-1 and X100 for many years. Since Adobe no longer supports CS6 I am
out of luck shooting raw files for those cameras with this version of of PS.
Download and use the (free) Adobe DNG converter. It's an extra step, but it converts proprietary raw files to DNG format files which can then be opened by CS6.

I am on the cusp of buying the Pentax K-1(I have not forgotten you Adam) and just today discovered that this camera's .DNG files open just like raw files!
That's because they are raw files.