Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Marc Sabatella drove me from Pentax!

Okay, not really...but he did convince me to move from Pentax Photolab to Adobe Lightroom 2. I'm still satisfied that I can do just about all that I need to do with PPL, but that LR2 will do more and do it in a more integrated fashion. Plus, Scott Kelby telling me that LR was designed "by photographers for photographers" was just the icing on the cake.

So, Marc, when I get stuck, I'm going to come to you for answers! The pressure is on!

I also bought Kelby's book since I enjoyed his others, and so far it seems like a great guide.

10-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Banned

Lightroom 2 is an excellent product. I use it myself. It could be better in a number of areas, but its still very much worth using if you can afford it. (or find a proper cracked version to download for those that do that)
10-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Lightroom 2 is indeed a very nice software. As for Scott Kelby, I think his book was about Lightroom 1, but I can be mistaken of course.

Otherwise you can have a look at Photoshop Lightroom 2 Essential Training - lynda.com Online Training Library®
But honestly, the interface is easy enough by itself
10-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wulifou Quote
Lightroom 2 is indeed a very nice software. As for Scott Kelby, I think his book was about Lightroom 1, but I can be mistaken of course.

Otherwise you can have a look at Photoshop Lightroom 2 Essential Training - lynda.com Online Training Library®
But honestly, the interface is easy enough by itself
Thanks for the link. I'll check that out. BTW, Kelby's book is updated to LR2. (The copyright date says 2009. I wonder if he can tell me what the market will be like in 3 months. )

10-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Looks like LR 2.1 has been released according to a news blurb I saw this morning. Usual handful of bug fixes, etc. so worth checking out.
10-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Banned

yes it has been released, Ive been using it for a month or so.
10-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Okay, not really...but he did convince me to move from Pentax Photolab to Adobe Lightroom 2. I'm still satisfied that I can do just about all that I need to do with PPL, but that LR2 will do more and do it in a more integrated fashion. Plus, Scott Kelby telling me that LR was designed "by photographers for photographers" was just the icing on the cake.

So, Marc, when I get stuck, I'm going to come to you for answers! The pressure is on!

I also bought Kelby's book since I enjoyed his others, and so far it seems like a great guide.
I have not used any Pentax editing software since the CD that came with my istD.
Horrible.

I now use LR2 for about 80% of my edits. Very good program.

I dont have Scotts books on LR but i do for PS, and he has sopme great tutorials.

Dave

10-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would there be any major downside to a perhaps cheaper Lightroom 1.0?
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Banned

for the average user (like myself) probably not. there is nothing wrong with 1.4? I believe it was. I thought it worked very well.
10-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #10

Pentax Photo Lab sucks.
Aaah. Felt better to get that out of my system.

I've not used lightroom yet, but I'm sure it's miles better. Hopefully none of that nasty jaundiced look on the photos now, eh?
10-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow :-)

Glad you're finding LR useful. I need to clarify, though - I don't actually use it myself. I use ACDSee Pro, another application I mentioned as supporting the same kind of use model. So if you general workflow questions, I can try to help. But for anything really LR-specific, hopefully the LR users out there (and there are plenty of them!) will step in...
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Do you use LT for RAW conversion or jpeg post processing?
For RAW conversion, have you compared LT converted pictures with PPL converted pictures? What are the main differences?
10-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Pentax Photo Lab sucks.
Aaah. Felt better to get that out of my system.

I've not used lightroom yet, but I'm sure it's miles better. Hopefully none of that nasty jaundiced look on the photos now, eh?
Easy now...I still think PPL is a good program. I just think LR2 may give me a more integrated workflow with everything I could want to do. With PPL, I still occasionally had to use Photoshop Elements to clone dust or do spot exposure correction with layers. I think the raw conversion on PPL is as good as any, and it used to beat ACR in my mind. However, since just about any raw converter can be adjusted to however you like it, it comes down to workflow and LR2 contains it all in one package for me.
10-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Wow :-)

Glad you're finding LR useful. I need to clarify, though - I don't actually use it myself. I use ACDSee Pro, another application I mentioned as supporting the same kind of use model. So if you general workflow questions, I can try to help. But for anything really LR-specific, hopefully the LR users out there (and there are plenty of them!) will step in...
Gaaa! I've been had!

Oh well, you still prompted me to give LR2 another look/chance. I think diving into the deep end with it will get me over any humps that I might run into otherwise. I guess I'll let you off the hook then.