It's time to upgrade to LCD and want to know which is which

I interested in a ASUS 22 " Wide for photography with 2mS rating

Is this good and this model as its generally use by gamers

Any info?

Thanks

cheers

10-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
kay

HP LP2475w. If you can afford it - it's worth it.

HP LP2475W Review
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

S-PVA ("S-PVA panels all use at least 8 bits per color component and do not use color simulation methods") from Lenovo

Lenovo ThinkVision L220X 22in Wide Digital/Analog LCD Monitor

22.0-inch (559.0 mm) viewable image size
Native resolution of 1920 x 1200
High definition 1080p video content (Full HDD) support
92% color gamut

X-bit labs - Lenovo ThinkVision L220x Monitor: Comeback of PVA Matrix?
10-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The Asus 22" monitor pretty much has to be a TN Film screen. They are as low end a screen as can be bought.
The HP screen mentioned is an H-IPS panel, which is very good.
When I recently upgraded, I went with a LaCie 324, which is an S-PVA panel. I chose the LaCie because they specialize in professional grade screens designed for photographers and graphic artists, so I figured that they probably are better from a photographers perspective.
I just published a book of my photographs, using the LaCie for the editing.
My trial copy arrived from the publisher (blurb.com) today, and is EXACTLY what I saw on my monitor.
A good monitor won't be cheap, but unfortunately, a cheap monitor won't be good.
TN Film displays are 6 bit colour, or 64 colour shades per channel, the LaCie is 10 bit colour (1024 colour shades per channel).
Compare this to a jpeg, which is 8 bit colour (256 shades) or the 12 bit (4096 shades) that comes off our cameras, and you will probably decide that a TN film monitor is not for you.
(The above is presuming I am interpreting things correctly.)
For sure the LaCie looks better than the Samsung, and is (IIRC) 95% of Adobe RGB colour space).
Look at Mark Roberts' blog on the subject, and follow the link to TFTCentral where you can input specific monitors and find out which panel type is inside.

One thing interesting though, a thread that I read the other day had a fellow complaining about a streak running through his high ISO picture. It was very visible on the Samsung 225 monitor which is what I use as a second display, not visible at all on the Lacie until I had seen it on the Samsung and knew where to look.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-29-2008 at 01:05 AM.
11-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This is from the australian photography site as written by Nicholas N

Forget refresh rates guys, it's all about the quality of the panel.

There are 3 main types....

TN - Twisted Nematic - These are the most common types as they are cheap, feature fast refresh rates which is great for gaming but produce low quality images.

VA - Vertical Alignment - Best widely available monitor for photo editing that wont damage your bank account.

IPS- In Plane Switching - The Rolls Royce of screens, the best and most expensive option if you are serious about editing.

If I were you I would ensure you are buying a VA panel at least, forget the resolution, the screen needs to be able to give you the smoothest and best image possible.

Dell make some good VA panels, they call them Ultra Sharp and you will notice on the Dell website they clearly state which of their panels are TN and which are VA. Other manufacturers hide behind refresh rates as the be all and end all. The Dell 24" Ultra Sharp is around $769 which is well worth the money for the image quality. The panel features a 6ms refresh rate which will be fine.

Seriously consider what you buy now to avoid dissapointment.

Read this site, it will bring you right up to speed on the above panels I have mentioned.

LCD Technologies

Regards

Nick

PS I did go on the Dell site and found a good VA 20"Ultra Sharp for approx $AU470

cheers

Last edited by cupic; 11-03-2008 at 04:46 AM.
11-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #6

I always check this thread before buying a monitor.
AnandTech - The LCD Thread
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For LCD Panel critics and testing, I trust tis site : Comparatif : 52 LCD 23 à 28 pouces, full HD - Les Numériques

Lacie just released a new 24" targeted at professionals and at a nice price (for its league) : LaCie 324 - Les Numériques

I know everything is in French, but it got 5 stars (which is unsual) and once calibrated performances are excellent for static and moving images. You can google it at : LaCie 324

I bought a Dell 24" for the same prices 2 years ago.

Regards,
Guillaume

11-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

Lacie just released a new 24" targeted at professionals and at a nice price (for its league) : LaCie 324 - Les Numériques
I took delivery of a LaCie 324 about a month ago. It is quite nice. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good fairly high end panel.
11-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Reidreviews.com article on the the NEC 2490 WUXI monitor with Spectraview II... is a very good one if you have some cash.

Several owners commenting on this monitor prefer it over the 26" version and have mentioned the LaCie and the 2490 to be the same. The 2490 is priced less.
11-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #10

I got this Viewsonic vp2650wb a few months ago and love it!! Do a search for it and you'll get all specs on it. I use it for 90% in CS3 and the other for gaming, ie Flight Simulator. Totally great. Good detail, and it only set me back about $700 US. But very bright! You'll have to turn it down a lot. It's my dream LCD. I'm sure you'll like it too.

Jamie
11-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kay Quote
HP LP2475w. If you can afford it - it's worth it.

HP LP2475W Review
By far the best bang for the bucks if you are looking for quality... it has an excellent IPS panel and is really great for photography. But as with any other wide-gamut monitor, it should be calibrated because if it isn't, the colors will look too flashy (a monitor used for photography should be calibrated anyway).

I have it and can only confirm what the review says, and here's another one: PRAD | Review HP LP2475w

Last edited by Lazar; 11-25-2008 at 01:21 AM.