Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
32" 4K monitor for photo editing

I'm in the market for a new monitor, and I want something tailored to photo editing. I think what I want is about a 32" 4K display with good color rendering. Budget is < $1000, so Eizos are probably out.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the following (or something else meeting these specs)?

ViewSonic VP3268 4K

BenQ PD3200U

Dell U3219Q

Asus PA329Q

01-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been researching along the same lines the past couple of days. What I'm reading is a 32" 4K is kinda overkill for processing photos at a desk, and none of them under $1000 cover as much of both the sRGB and aRGB color space as something like the BenQ 2700PT which covers essentially 100% of both and 93% DCI-P3.

EDIT: Here's one link explaining why 2K instead of 4K.
https://photofocus.com/photography/what-resolution-monitor-should-you-buy-as...r-1080p-or-4k/

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-12-2020 at 09:06 AM.
01-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
EDIT: Here's one link explaining why 2K instead of 4K.
Thanks for that link I enjoyed reading that ...cos I recently acquired a hazro ips 27" for a hundred bucks (equiv). Exactly what the guy recommends. it's certainly an improvement on the old (very old) screen.
01-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
very happy with this one, and does not break the bank:amazon.com: Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4k UHD LED-Lit Monitor: Prime Video?tag=pentaxforums-20&

01-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd go for as big as you can afford. A friend of mine who does this type of stuff for a living really pushed me to a 34" curved monitor, and at first, It thought it was nuts, and now I couldn't live with anything smaller. It gives you enough real estate you can have several things open at once and don't have to juggle around. I was later given a flat 34" monitor, and I really like the curve more. It's subtle, but it makes it more comfortable. Having watched these things casually, the time I see big discounts is in the fall when clearing out the prior years models. I picked up this Samsung for $630 on a huge discount in the fall - don't think it's available currently, but for reference:

34" Ultra-wide Premium Curved monitor | Samsung Support LEVANT
01-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'd go for as big as you can afford. A friend of mine who does this type of stuff for a living really pushed me to a 34" curved monitor, and at first, It thought it was nuts, and now I couldn't live with anything smaller. It gives you enough real estate you can have several things open at once and don't have to juggle around. I was later given a flat 34" monitor, and I really like the curve more. It's subtle, but it makes it more comfortable. Having watched these things casually, the time I see big discounts is in the fall when clearing out the prior years models. I picked up this Samsung for $630 on a huge discount in the fall - don't think it's available currently, but for reference:

34" Ultra-wide Premium Curved monitor | Samsung Support LEVANT
I like the ultra-wide monitor I have at work, but they really don't come in 4K resolution, and I think I want more than 1080 or 1440 on the vertical side. 24MP is about 6000 x 4000, and the ultra-wides only show 1/4 or 1/3 of the vertical dimension. 4K gets you closer. Or at least that's my current thinking.
01-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I like the ultra-wide monitor I have at work, but they really don't come in 4K resolution, and I think I want more than 1080 or 1440 on the vertical side. 24MP is about 6000 x 4000, and the ultra-wides only show 1/4 or 1/3 of the vertical dimension. 4K gets you closer. Or at least that's my current thinking.
Makes sense. I'm running 3440x1440, and sometimes I want more height, but then I probably want more width too. What I will say is it'll probably have to die before I can justify replacing it, unless B&H has one of those sales that's too good to pass, and suddenly what I'm looking at replaces the flat one, and the flat one goes to my girlfriend....
01-12-2020, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I have the BenQ PD3200U and im very happy, sometimes i would like to be a 27" monitor (for everyday use a 32" is maybe a little big) way better at color than my old Dell 24",i have a 2k Laptop and for editing returning to 1080p looks weird, not bad, but certainly i prefer the 4k and 2k, i cant say anything about the others and i know the BenQ Photo line of monitors but they were more expensive, the monitor itself doenst improve the quality of my editions, but hey, looks awesome.

01-12-2020, 10:25 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Asus PA329Q
I have had good experience with ASUS and HP monitors in the past*. In terms of longevity the models from HP and ASUS tended to be the most overbuilt and the display panels they use typically respond well to calibration but they carried a higher price tag than others. I would also recommend looking into getting a quality desk mounted VESA** support arm for the monitor to improve ergonomics and reclaim desk real-estate from the monitor stand.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'd go for as big as you can afford.
I would be cautious of this advice as there are some displays with a viewable area of 32" that only natively support 2560X1440 resolutions***, that is a rather low pixel density for such a large viewable area. As a rule, a display with over 28" viewable area a native resolution of 2K is ideal. A native resolution of 4K is a bare minimum for anything approaching a 34" viewable display area.

* At the studio I work with Eizo and Wacom CintiQ displays but I have High end Hewlett Packard and ASUS displays at home. The WACOM CintiQ displays are touch and pen input sensitive and a very intuitive and natural way of working. But the cost for even the smallest model is quite high, a way around this is to simply get a medium sized Wacom graphics tablet and leave it at that.

** check if the monitor has support for 70mm or 100mm standard VESA mounting options, also refer to the monitor weight specifications before selecting the monitor support arm as they have different capacities.

*** I have a brother in law whom is normally quite intelligent when it comes to computer purchases.... well I thought he was until he bought a display like this. One of his primary purchase motivations was the monitor was white - to match everything else in his home office. Text was profoundly horrid on this display, reading for any extended amount of time invariably caused an incipient migraine. No amount of tweaking could completely remove the slight blurring of fine detail and photographs looked distinctly un-sharp.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-13-2020 at 01:14 AM.
01-13-2020, 04:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I have the BenQ PD3200U and im very happy, sometimes i would like to be a 27" monitor (for everyday use a 32" is maybe a little big) way better at color than my old Dell 24",i have a 2k Laptop and for editing returning to 1080p looks weird, not bad, but certainly i prefer the 4k and 2k, i cant say anything about the others and i know the BenQ Photo line of monitors but they were more expensive, the monitor itself doenst improve the quality of my editions, but hey, looks awesome.
Thanks, it's good to have feedback on one of the models I'm looking at. The BenQ is one of the cheaper 32", 4K, 100% sRGB monitors, but I've read reviews referencing flickering problems, and there are a lot of issues on Amazon customer reviews. May or may not have been solved with firmware updates. Have you seen anything like that?

---------- Post added 01-13-20 at 06:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have had good experience with ASUS and HP monitors in the past*. In terms of longevity the models from HP and ASUS tended to be the most overbuilt and the display panels they use typically respond well to calibration but they carried a higher price tag than others. I would also recommend looking into getting a quality desk mounted VESA** support arm for the monitor to improve ergonomics and reclaim desk real-estate from the monitor stand.

I would be cautious of this advice as there are some displays with a viewable area of 32" that only natively support 2560X1440 resolutions***, that is a rather low pixel density for such a large viewable area. As a rule, a display with over 28" viewable area a native resolution of 2K is ideal. A native resolution of 4K is a bare minimum for anything approaching a 34" viewable display area.

* At the studio I work with Eizo and Wacom CintiQ displays but I have High end Hewlett Packard and ASUS displays at home. The WACOM CintiQ displays are touch and pen input sensitive and a very intuitive and natural way of working. But the cost for even the smallest model is quite high, a way around this is to simply get a medium sized Wacom graphics tablet and leave it at that.

** check if the monitor has support for 70mm or 100mm standard VESA mounting options, also refer to the monitor weight specifications before selecting the monitor support arm as they have different capacities.

*** I have a brother in law whom is normally quite intelligent when it comes to computer purchases.... well I thought he was until he bought a display like this. One of his primary purchase motivations was the monitor was white - to match everything else in his home office. Text was profoundly horrid on this display, reading for any extended amount of time invariably caused an incipient migraine. No amount of tweaking could completely remove the slight blurring of fine detail and photographs looked distinctly un-sharp.
My 11- and 12-year-old boys saved up their chore money and Christmas money and built new computers recently. One of them has a 30-something inch TV that was connected to the Xbox, which he repurposed for the new computer. The resolution is completely inadequate for the size of the screen. I think it's just full HD, and for a nearly 40" screen sitting 3' from it... you can make out individual pixels easily. He'll probably get my old 24" monitor when I upgrade.

I'll look into mounts, but my home office desk sits in the middle of the room. I don't know if that will work easily.
01-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks, it's good to have feedback on one of the models I'm looking at. The BenQ is one of the cheaper 32", 4K, 100% sRGB monitors, but I've read reviews referencing flickering problems, and there are a lot of issues on Amazon customer reviews. May or may not have been solved with firmware updates. Have you seen anything like that?
No, personaly i didnt see anything of flickering problems, i read about them i and was aware of potencial problems, i purchase trough amazon and worst case scenario i just simply return the monitor, i cant say if my monitor was factory updated, but i havent had any issue with flickering, if you try this monitor, just ask to the store if its faulty you can get a refund (not a repair)
01-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a Dell P2415Q as a second monitor for an iMac and it's great. 99% RGB, and it was easy to calibrate with my Xrite. That gives a PPI of 183, not as good as my iMac but quite decent, especially if you want to proof for say displaying images on today's mobile phones, tablets and other high res devices. Rotates to portrait mode too. And with the smaller screen size, easier to fit on some desks, and given the higher PPI a nice choice if you sit closer. With the 4k you can get a lot of your photo on the screen at 1:1, and you can fit a lot more thumbnails in a grid view and still see if say they're in focus, which I find to be a real time saver.

macOS does a terrific job of managing the size using hires graphics, and all the Adobe applications are retina aware. I think Adobe uses hires graphics for 4k resolutions on Windows as well, but not as sure about that. But if your computer can do 4k, and you can live with a non 100% AdobeRGB or P3 monitor, check it out.