Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New Monitor Suggestions Please

Unfortunately my 4k 43inch Philips monitor is dying. I initially went for a 43 inch monitor because it was also serving as a 'lounging' monitor (moving away from the desk and watching content nearby from a couch like a tv).

Anyway, I also bought it at a time when I understood much less. It's only 8bit I think and my pc is pathetic for 4k so things are sluggish. It's overkill.

I think I would like my next monitor to being having these properties;

1) 32 inches, 27 is still going to be too small for the lounging aspect of content viewing, but it doesn't need to be 43inches.

2) 2k should be enough, 4k was overkill I think

3) Better viewing angles, contrast, colours and stuff I think I want to prioritise more as well as hopefully choosing a monitor that has less bleed out, and maybe even a nice 3yr warranty?

TIA for any suggestions!

BB

01-31-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I think I would like my next monitor
Why only one? Most display cards can easily support multi-monitor, as can many a docking station.
01-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why only one?
I agree. My son built a desktop, which I bought when he wanted to build an upgrade, and I have two Nixeus-brand monitors, one HDMI one with a VGA adaptor. when photoediting and some other workflow, two monitors are great, or watching videos while commenting on PF.. These monitors were not expensive, either. I will probably get the Datacolor Spyder calibration tool for them, though, I sense a difference and I'd like to get them synced and color keyed/
01-31-2020, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I agree.
Plus Lightroom with multi-monitor can be very handy.

01-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for staying on the topic and recommending me a photographic monitor lol. I actually have 2 other monitors connected to my PC for multi tasking. Unfortunately I do not have an endless supply of funds to by 3x photographic monitors so yeah, was just kinda hoping someone might recommend a few that fit the criteria I have selected and perhaps talk a bit more indepth about such things as bit depth support etc etc.
01-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestion is to get one with an In Plane Switching "IPS" panel for superior viewing angles. Aside from that brand and dimensions are a personal preference. Then it should be calibrated for photographic work.
02-01-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like the Benq PD3200U.
Good colors, nice panel, integrated kvm.
Only downfall is a bit of Backlightbleeding when having lot of blacks. But still the best I saw at this peice range yet. Bought 3 for my home and 2 at my work desk, really happy with them.

02-01-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm considering myself one of these new DQHD (5120x1440 px, 49'') curved displays by Dell, Samsung or Philips. You can connect 2 PCs (and split the screen half-half between them) or 1 PC only (possibly as two-screen setup).

But as I would also have to upgrade the graphic card (ASUS GTX TITAN BLACK-6GD5 is not capable of such resolution), I decided to stay with my 2x 24'' HP panels for the moment.
02-01-2020, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I do not like curved monitors. There is pretty much only one exact relative position where you can work at them without getting a headache.
If you got a second person joining to view something, it is nearly impossible to find a comfortable position for both.

The pd3200u can also put mutliple inputs next to each other and also provides usb kvm. Nice to have for very specific situations. Usually however I try to work on a single machine.

---------- Post added 02-01-20 at 04:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'm considering myself one of these new DQHD (5120x1440 px, 49'') curved displays by Dell, Samsung or Philips. You can connect 2 PCs (and split the screen half-half between them) or 1 PC only (possibly as two-screen setup).

But as I would also have to upgrade the graphic card (ASUS GTX TITAN BLACK-6GD5 is not capable of such resolution), I decided to stay with my 2x 24'' HP panels for the moment.
We had a bunch of those Titan blacks as cheap accelerators for gpu programming (well, cheap compared to k80s which were the data center cards back then). The failure rate on those are unmatched by any other electronical item I know until this day.

Last edited by WorksAsIntended; 02-01-2020 at 04:31 AM.
02-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote

We had a bunch of those Titan blacks as cheap accelerators for gpu programming (well, cheap compared to k80s which were the data center cards back then). The failure rate on those are unmatched by any other electronical item I know until this day.

I have mine in the desktop PC since May 2014. So far no issues. As mentioned, an upgrade would be needed for 4K+ resolution, but... NVIDIA prices (as result of the bitcoin mining hype?) are crazy these days...
02-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have to admint, that we put them under some stress too. A lot of them had memory issues.

The mining boom using gpu luckily is over (competitive encryption is a very bad idea to start with, all those ressources burned for nothing. We would have easily been able to do all necessary calculations for the block chain using a tiny fraction of the ressources used). The issue for NVidia is, that they need to produce bigger chips to make the progression they are up to, which makes production much more expensive. A few years back they gained performance by better techniques in chip production, but this is achieved rarely now.

On the other hand it is a very luxery state. Even the cheapest of all "on board" graphic chips is enough to process 4k 2d content. No more need to buy expensive cards for common usage anymore.

If I remember correctly (did not check back), the dp were able to put out 4096x2160. So if you just use dual monitor on the single DHQD you should be able to use it. There is enough vram for that, unless you play games or do very specific work.
02-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have to admint, that we put them under some stress too. A lot of them had memory issues.

The mining boom using gpu luckily is over (competitive encryption is a very bad idea to start with, all those ressources burned for nothing. We would have easily been able to do all necessary calculations for the block chain using a tiny fraction of the ressources used). The issue for NVidia is, that they need to produce bigger chips to make the progression they are up to, which makes production much more expensive. A few years back they gained performance by better techniques in chip production, but this is achieved rarely now.

On the other hand it is a very luxery state. Even the cheapest of all "on board" graphic chips is enough to process 4k 2d content. No more need to buy expensive cards for common usage anymore.

If I remember correctly (did not check back), the dp were able to put out 4096x2160. So if you just use dual monitor on the single DHQD you should be able to use it. There is enough vram for that, unless you play games or do very specific work.

I guess in a couple of months the situation might change. AMD is getting stronger, so there should be some pressure to NVIDIA to offer better prices.
02-01-2020, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I broke down and bought a 28 inch Samsung for my laptop, and a 55" Samsung smart TV for content viewing.
32 inches fo content viewing? That's so 2010.

The big advantage to that being, I have 10,000 computer files on a memory stick, and when not in use for content display, provides a running slide show. It takes the place of a very large image that used to be on my wall, and replace it with a slide show with thousands of images, that I can leave running while doing other things. My interpretation of office art.

We used to use my 27 inch iMac for content viewing. I probably won't ever go back to a computer monitor for viewing content. I've also discovered I don't like larger than 27 inches 2650x1600 for computer work. 4k makes it harder to judge image sharpness, even viewing at 1:1. My 28 inch 4k monitor is rarely used, in fact I've left it up at my step-son's where I use it most. But, that's just me. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by normhead; 02-01-2020 at 10:06 AM.
02-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really like the Benq PD3200U.
Good colors, nice panel, integrated kvm.
Only downfall is a bit of Backlightbleeding when having lot of blacks. But still the best I saw at this peice range yet. Bought 3 for my home and 2 at my work desk, really happy with them.
That looks like a nice screen, prolly a bit out of my price range.

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote

My current PC is a potato and needs upgraded too, so even if my gfx can't output 10bit I'm fine with grabbing a 10bit screen because in a few months time the upgrade will happen and I can then take proper advantage of the screen. Unfortunately screen has to come first.

I do not like curved monitors. There is pretty much only one exact relative position where you can work at them without getting a headache.
If you got a second person joining to view something, it is nearly impossible to find a comfortable position for both.

The pd3200u can also put mutliple inputs next to each other and also provides usb kvm. Nice to have for very specific situations. Usually however I try to work on a single machine.

---------- Post added 02-01-20 at 04:24 AM ----------

Good feedback on curved. As I stated I would be using the monitor for content viewing as well, and sometimes a second human being joins me in that, sounds like curved is for one only.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I broke down and bought a 28 inch Samsung for my laptop, and a 55" Samsung smart TV for content viewing.
32 inches fo content viewing? That's so 2010.

The big advantage to that being, I have 10,000 computer files on a memory stick, and when not in use for content display, provides a running slide show. It takes the place of a very large image that used to be on my wall, and replace it with a slide show with thousands of images, that I can leave running while doing other things. My interpretation of office art.

We used to use my 27 inch iMac for content viewing. I probably won't ever go back to a computer monitor for viewing content. I've also discovered I don't like larger than 27 inches 2650x1600 for computer work. 4k makes it harder to judge image sharpness, even viewing at 1:1. My 28 inch 4k monitor is rarely used, in fact I've left it up at my step-son's where I use it most. But, that's just me. Good luck in your search.
Yeah, I'm a little hesitant to do 32 inches as well, and I understand your whole 'that's so 2010' statement haha. Really it's about space, we live in an unbelievably small home, many 'rooms' have to double up on functions so the Office also kinda acts as a Lounge as well (the sofas are behind the office chair I sit at to work.
From this distance the 43 inch 4k does nicely for screen size, I'd like bigger but can handle it. I do have a monitor arm I can use that can take the weight and so pan out the 32 inch screen closer to us if it feels a little too far away.

For composing tho, I've found the 43 4k too large, I mean I'm not utilising the edges at all, its complete overkill, and LR and PS struggles on 4k screens, scaling the window down makes quite a bit of difference. It's cool to blow up a finished image to fill the entire 43 inch and view at 4k, but I dunno... the novelty has kinda worn off now. I'm thinking a 32 inch 2k would probably be a find compromise, especially if it is just a little more photographically inclined.

I'm also at mercy to our demograph, not sure Australia really has the same choices that USA and UK customers are getting. This screen is currently the one I am debating to buy, but I would like to see it in person first and am yet to find a retailer with the screen on display...

BenQ 32" Designer Monitor, 2560x1440 2K QHD, 100% Rec.709, sRGB, Hotkey Puck, Dual View, HDMI, DP, Black, 32/inch, PD3200Q: Monitors: amazon.com.au?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Maybe I need to think about a laptop, even if I use my existing keyboard and mouse, perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone and at least solve the struggling potato PC and new screen in one hit, I can always add the monitor at a later date...
02-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Funny enough: After following your link I learned my monitors have build in speakers. Did not know that before.
I am pretty sure most modern monitors should have it, but just to not accidentaly get one without: Make sure there is a low blue light option on the monitor and it is flickr free. At least if you are working on the screen not doing photo/video editing too. I spent about 10h per day on a screen, I am glad they are not as bad as back in the old days and low blue light is another step up. I remember this old b/w monitor I used to own, headache after 1hour of usage guarranteed.

Also make sure it has a vesa mount option if you plan to use the monitor arm.