Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It does take a little time to learn how to coordinate the hand to brain when using a graphics tablet. The way to get rid of this restriction is to get a stylist based PC. I have used a Tablet PC when "doing" photo manipulation since 2005. The Graphics tablet is a learned response, just like when we all first started using a mouse - lo those many decades ago.

On Windows it is easy and simple to opt-out on Wacom's UE settings. I do know that the response of my tablet has improved when using Capture One over the years - maybe I have had an influence after all. (I can hope can't I?) I do find it interesting that some people get all bent out of shape when MS or now Wacom get metadata off of their devices and they continue their preference to use Google, Facebook and Twitter without a second thought.

To answer the question about scaling, you can use almost the entire surface of the tablet - mine has a 1" by 3/4" area around the tablet that the pen "does not see". The Tablet Properties App sets the parameters, you can designate portions of the tablet for the pen to use or use the whole thing. My Graphics Tablet also support touch on my Windows 10 box, I can't say if the same model supplies touch to non-Windows devices. I don't find the touch functions all that convenient, but they are there. Your finger is a terrible thing to use as a brush.

Last edited by PDL; 02-07-2020 at 06:42 PM.
02-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Your finger is a terrible thing to use as a brush.
Thank you for saying this, prehistoric humans were using tools instead of their fingers to paint at least 25,000 years ago, yet the Masters of Artificial Intelligence seem to believe we should abandon our tools in order to use the computing devices they want to sell us. This is just one aspect of a very troubling trend to cripple our cognitive skills in the name of "user friendly."
02-08-2020, 02:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the answers, as always other people’s mileage varies. I’ll just have to see if someone will let me try the thing before jumping.
02-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow!

I am appreciative for all the great information.

The discussion of the comfort level of using a pen and tablet makes sense to me. Somehow over the years (since 1981) I have come to use the mouse with my right hand even though I am very left-handed. It is one of the primary reasons I want to use a pen and tablet – to give me better control for fine touch-ups.

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
FWIW, I bought my 'renewed' Wacom tablet from Amazon for a whopping $55. It is just like new, and comes with everything a new unit does (albeit for $15 more). See amazon.com: Wacom Intuos Graphics Drawing Tablet with 3 Bonus Software included, 7.9?tag=pentaxforums-20&"x 6.3", Black (CTL4100) (Renewed): Computers & Accessories
Thanks for this link. It looks like a great way to put my toe in the water and try a tablet without a consequential investment.

02-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
have come to use the mouse with my right hand even though I am very left-handed. It is one of the primary reasons I want to use a pen and tablet
I'm in the same boat. When I occasionally get twinges of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right 'mouse hand', I switch to using the pen as a mouse with my left. Definitely worth it just for that.
02-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote

Thank you for that link... that article was brilliant and informative.

al
02-09-2020, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I’ll just have to see if someone will let me try the thing before jumping.
Just sharing my opinion as a working commercial photographer with numerous students and work colleagues that use graphics tablets and interactive displays on a continuous basis, I have never heard a tale of regret or woe resulting from the use of these devices, they make work so much more intuitive. And sufferers of RSI: which Is what prompted my purchase of a graphics tablet for my PC systems* I have never had a relapse of my condition.

* Though I did later on find a rather unique gaming mouse that was ergonomically configurable in such a way that it was able to eliminate my issues with using the mouse on my PC systems. I frequently advise gaming hardware for photographers that make use of heavy post-processing. Gaming hardware is designed with the express purpose of being used for extended hours and as a consequence, ergonomics is at top priority along with durability. Gaming peripherals allow extensive customization of keys, which allows you to map photoshop or RAW processing variables to keys which allow for streamlined and speedy processing of images.

02-10-2020, 02:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Just sharing my opinion as a working commercial photographer with numerous students and work colleagues that use graphics tablets and interactive displays on a continuous basis, I have never heard a tale of regret or woe resulting from the use of these devices...
You plainly spend more time working than on forums! There is not an ailment known (and several unknown) which has not been blamed on whichever technology is under discussion, lol. I’m quite sure improper use of a tripod leads to ingrowing toenails...
12-11-2020, 03:36 AM   #24
Banned

I am using the XP-PEN Deco MIni7 graphic drawing tablet for Photoshop and Lightroom.

Provides for far more accurate retouching. I also no longer use a mouse and use the stylus for everything.

This was the best investment I ever made and I am glad I did it.

Unless you are an artist who is interested in digital drawing and painting do NOT get the large A4 tablet. You have to move your whole hand and arm to do anything.

Even a medium sized A5 tablet will involve a fair bit of whole hand movement to go from side to side of the screen. Having a dual monitor setup will make it easier working on one or the other monitor but whole hand movements are still required, especially to go from one screen to the other.

A small A6 tablet will let you do most of the moving just with rotating the wrist and wiggling the fingers. A small tablet is much closer to the way you write or do small sketches with a pencil.
12-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lengmo Quote
I am using the XP-PEN Deco MIni7 graphic drawing tablet for Photoshop and Lightroom.
Thanks for mentioning that brand.

I've used Wacom graphics tablets for years, but have never really become comfortable with them. Anymore they are used only for drawing, not photo editing. I really tried, more than once.

But after your post I took a look at what XP-Pen had to offer and I'm going to give one of their products with an integrated display a try: XP-Pen Artist 15.6. It may fix the disconnect with the photo I find with my Wacoms. At less than $260 (there's a $45 coupon) it's worth my try. Even with a really good mouse like my MX Master some of the detail work is tough and hoping a pen-on-display will help. If not there's always a buyer on eBay.
12-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I received the Artist 15.6 yesterday and set it up last evening. It was a whole lot easier than instructions make it appear. Took maybe 10 minutes total, and another 10 figuring out the whole second screen thing under Windows. Note: You have to remove any other tablet drivers, like my Wacom Pro, before installing.

So the initial reaction is...
I Like it!

Having the image under the pen and mirrored to the main display makes editing extremely precise. Mapping common commands to the side buttons saves time too, and the additional shortcut keys on the companion express keyboard will come in handy as well.

The color is a bit off from the main display of course and I may try to calibrate the screen to see if I can get a bit closer, but it's not bad and the resolution of 1920x1080 is more than fine for detailed editing. I will note the tablet itself is a bit larger than I had considered, but I also don't think I'd want a smaller image area. I've got it nested on a tablet stand right behind and slightly to the right of my keyboard, and the mouse in front of that which works pretty well ergonomically. When I first took it out of the box I thought I might have to use it on my lap as I have a not-large desk, but it moving my main monitor back a very few inches and with a bit of fine-tuning the entire desktop workspace can be kept reasonably compact. For Photoshop and On1 this might end up as my preferred way of interfacing. Lightroom, DxO and Topaz seem more mouse-friendly so I don't know if the XP-Pen Artist will get a lot of use with them, but perhaps it will.

I was a little worried about reports of parallax and precision in advance of actually using it. In practice, it's a complete non-issue for photo editing IMHO. I'd certainly choose a precision pen display like this over a standard Wacom, and it's a LOT less expensive than Wacom's competing Cintiq pen display. For the Artist 15.6, their express key remote and a stand I stayed under $300 including tax and shipping after the coupon discount (Amazon). The equivalent 16" Cintiq with Express Remote is $740 so nearly twice the price. If I were using it primarily for drawing, particularly for pay, perhaps the higher cost of the Wacom might be warranted as pen options are better and build too. For photo processing the XP-Pen is just as good IMO.

So this thing is great so far. Actually looking forward to using it as a nice addition to my toolkit.

Last edited by gatorguy; 12-18-2020 at 07:14 AM.
12-18-2020, 06:56 AM   #27

My son will have to get me up to speed on Wacoms. He has been using one for for years, and I hope to get his help in using one.

Last edited by EnglishBob; 12-18-2020 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo