Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Monitor repair?

I have an otherwise good Dell UP3214Q monitor, with a complete line of red pixels running vertically near the centre. This popped up a month or two after the warranty expired, so Dell didn't want to know about it. Thanks Dell.

Has anyone had any success in rectifying such faults in monitors? Presumably, a connection at the top of the screen has failed, or become loose, rather than all those pixels simultaneously dying. I'm a little wary though of removing the plastic rim to get at it, as it does not come away easily even with the screws removed. And even if I can get it off, what then?

Any advice welcome.

02-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Has anyone had any success in rectifying such faults in monitors? Presumably, a connection at the top of the screen has failed, or become loose, rather than all those pixels simultaneously dying. I'm a little wary though of removing the plastic rim to get at it, as it does not come away easily even with the screws removed. And even if I can get it off, what then?

Any advice welcome.
I had a similar problem with a different brand monitor. I suspected a bad connection with the ribbon cable, so I disconnected then reconnected them, but it didn't solve the problem. BestBuy's Geek Squad wanted $100 for a repair estimate without a guarantee, and they didn't give me confidence it wouldn't become a money pit, so I just replaced it. If you live somewhere with an electronics repair shop with better confidence, that's the route I'd go.
02-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s a pretty expensive monitor, might be worth a try, then a repair shop.
02-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look for blown capacitors - leaked/distorted etc. This is a common failure, apparently. There are how-to videos on swapping out these components. Probably worth considering.

Anything you find, please report back. I've got the back off my old LaCie and there's nothing obviously blown with mine. So I'm wondering what next. My lines were horizontally arranged in three separate groups.

02-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That’s a pretty expensive monitor, might be worth a try, then a repair shop.
Depends on how many inches it is, not?

All in all, my experience with consumer electronics is that they are seldom worth fixing. Unfortunately they aren't made in such a way that it is easy to access their innards and often parts are relatively expensive.
02-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Depends on how many inches it is, not?

All in all, my experience with consumer electronics is that they are seldom worth fixing. Unfortunately they aren't made in such a way that it is easy to access their innards and often parts are relatively expensive.
I would agree with you, but possibly a 32 inch monitor might be worth the repair.
02-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest the option ramseybuckeye suggested but in the reverse order. Take it to a reputable repair shop that has experience with Dell first and if the repair estimate is too much (they should be able to provide one), then try the at-home fix. You might be able to pick the repair shop's brain to see if it is likely a connection is causing the issue. In my experience, the connector might be worth a try but it sound's like a pixel line driver which is internal to the display panel itself - toast. Really too bad this didn't happen sooner and if you haven't talked to Dell, it might be worth a call to them.

02-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Has anyone had any success in rectifying such faults in monitors?
Not me, although I have successfully swapped the display panel in a laptop. It isn't a problem with the backlight and in my limited experience, problems with the power supply (any capacitors that could be replaced will be in the power supply) have resulted in split images, or multiple lines in the wrong colour, sometimes with a humming noise when it is turned on. The grid that sends power to individual red, green and blue pixels is an integral part of the display panel and I'm sure a replacement panel is more money than a new display (with a laptop, the replacement panel from a Chinese OEM supplier is still less expensive than a new laptop).
02-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I would suggest the option ramseybuckeye suggested but in the reverse order. Take it to a reputable repair shop that has experience with Dell first and if the repair estimate is too much (they should be able to provide one), then try the at-home fix. You might be able to pick the repair shop's brain to see if it is likely a connection is causing the issue. In my experience, the connector might be worth a try but it sound's like a pixel line driver which is internal to the display panel itself - toast. Really too bad this didn't happen sooner and if you haven't talked to Dell, it might be worth a call to them.
I agree.
I remember a sign we used to have in the support department of university it stating something like:

Repairs:
Leave it here and get it when done: 30€/h
Watch us fix it: 45€/h
You already started fixing it: 60€/h
You help us fixing it: 120€/h

There is some trueth to this. Dont make it harder for the professional to fix it by starting your own repair.