Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LightRoom replacement for Mac

Hi All,

My beloved 17" MacBook Pro finally decided to gave up on HDD.

It is 10 years old but still capable:

MacBook Pro 17-Inch "Core i7" 2.66 Mid-2010

2.66 GHz Core i7 (I7-620M)

Intro.

April 13, 2010

Disc.

February 24, 2011

Order

BTO/CTO

Model

A1297 (EMC 2352*)

Family

Mid-2010 17"

ID

MacBookPro6,1

RAM

8 GB

VRAM

512 MB*

Storage

500 GB HDD

Optical

8X DL "SuperDrive"

Complete MacBook Pro 17-Inch "Core i7" 2.66 Mid-2010 Specs

MacBook Pro 17-Inch "Core i7" 2.66 Mid-2010 Specs (Mid-2010 17", BTO/CTO, MacBookPro6,1, A1297, 2352*): EveryMac.com

I have purchased 250Gb solid state HD replaced the old one,

reinstalled High Sierra 10.13.6, all good.

Now , I did have installed and love it Light Room 5.7

not available any more!

I have free unlimited* OneDrive space on my work cloud.

I do not want to pay for Adobe / LightRoom cloud space.

What else can I use?

Please help!

kind regards

jack

02-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Luminar - I'm currently running the latest build of version 4 and am loving it...
02-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still run CS5, but I had a terrible time reinstalling it after my 27" iMac HDD failed, so I sympathise. Fortunately, I found a recent backup that had the pre-crash version on it (I keep several), so all is good again. I replaced the HDD with a 1TB SSD.

Anyhow, having tried several alternative apps, and finding them all good, within limits, I tend to favour Topaz Studio, now, even using CS5 as my primary image processing software. It helps that I had quite a number of Topaz plug-ins (they work with some other image processing apps, too) that work with Studio.
02-22-2020, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Luminar - I'm currently running the latest build of version 4 and am loving it...
just purchased 2x Luminar licences for my two MacBook Pro's
time to learn.....
Still have LR 5.7 on my 15" Mac, and just located 5.3 installer so installed it on my 17"
now Luminar could be a plugin within LR , need to learn and explore.....

and will have a look at Topaz.........

02-22-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
just purchased 2x Luminar licences for my two MacBook Pro's
Luminar's FAQ states that you could install one license on 2 computers.
02-23-2020, 03:34 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Darktable is a very competent replacement for the image development part of Lightroom... It's missing a few things, but even more capable in other areas. Having previously used Lightroom 6 as my main raw development tool, I like darktable a lot (I run it on Linux Mint 18.3 and Windows 10). RawTherapee is an excellent alternative. I'm not so keen on the user interface, but it's fine once you get used to it.

For library management, try digiKam. It's powerful, and whilst not as slick as Lightroom (especially the UI), it does the job equally well.

If you want Photoshop-style functionality, use GIMP. On your hardware, I'd probably suggest using 2.8 rather than 2.10 for performance reasons (I believe the last stable version was 2.8.22).

All of these tools are available for Mac OS, they're free and open-source...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-23-2020 at 07:12 AM.
02-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
It used to be more. But they reduced it to 2 for Luminar 4.

02-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You may be able to find an installer . I found it on Techspot but I can't vouch for the site. It may be risky. Maybe someone has an installer saved that they can provide you. I dont have it now but I am using it. I think I installed it in 2017 which looks like the last available date.
02-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would put in a vote for ON1 Photo Raw. License allows for installation on multiple computers, both Mac and Windows platforms, and after years of being primarily a Mac user I am hedging my bets on moving to Windows.

There are a number of good choices for the Mac, but for me ON1 seem to keep making strides on adding the features I need.

Trial available.
02-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To drill down a bit, which of the above do you like as a DAM (library)? Every now and again I try one out (even bought a license for ACDSee Photo Studio a little while ago), but I never seem to get anywhere with them.

Also, I see that Luminar is available as a plugin for, among others, Apple Photos. While I don't currently use Photos, I'm curious how seamlessly that combination would work, using Photos as a library and Luminar for processing.
02-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
pid
Pentaxian

for me the best replacement for Lightroom is Capture One V20. I think it is the best RAW Converter and you can choose if you want to work with sessions or catalogs.
02-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
I would put in a vote for ON1 Photo Raw. License allows for installation on multiple computers, both Mac and Windows platforms, and after years of being primarily a Mac user I am hedging my bets on moving to Windows.

There are a number of good choices for the Mac, but for me ON1 seem to keep making strides on adding the features I need.

Trial available.
+1. I find ON-1 easy to learn, as quite a few video tutorials and webinars are available. I made a CD of the last stand alone Lightroom version, 6.14, so will always have that.
02-23-2020, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I don’t know which version of MacOS you are running, but depending on your work style, I find Photos on Mojave far more capable than most people might think.
02-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I don’t know which version of MacOS you are running, but depending on your work style, I find Photos on Mojave far more capable than most people might think.
I agree, I am using photos on my 11 year old MacBook pro using Affinity photo as a plug in for more advanced editing if needed. The MacBook pro is on Mac OS High Sierra. I am also using the same combo of photos and Affinity photo on my iMac which is on Mac OS Catalina.
I find this combination meets all of my needs. Affinity photo is a reasonably priced download from the App store and it will be updated for free as newer versions of it come out.
02-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
yes thats what i mean and what i did

---------- Post added 02-24-20 at 08:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I do have High Sierra 10.13.6 and just looking at Photos